Those pesky Orca's are back, and they seem to be learning...

Kenny Dumas

Super Anarchist
PDX
My Great Uncles were commercial fishers off the Oregon coast. They often carried their deer rifles and “shot every sea lion or killer whale they saw”, to protect their gear and catch. I fished out there for 5 years before I ever saw one (-69-74). I’m certainly not advocating we harm them, but somehow teaching them to fear man seems like a good idea.

BTW, seeing a baby Orca nursing while a huge male stood by (returning from a halibut trip 20 miles off Newport) is still one of the coolest things I’ve seen on the ocean. Coexist.

MauiPunter

Will sail for food
I love Orca's but if my boat is gonna be sunk off the coast of Spain/Portugal, a seal bomb would solve the problem pretty quick. Yes, yes, I know, I am a monster for saying it. Ideally, we would want something passive that would put them off. Something perhaps uncomfortable if they get too close. Dunno. I hate to hurt any animal, but, I don't want to lose my boat or crew.

tallyho

Norway
You will need a translation on this, But the Orca's won this "incident"
Seilmagasinet Norway

1667377318075.png

AnIdiot

Second Drawer

slug zitski

Super Anarchist
worldwide
The killer whales lifecycle has them feeding on the giant schools of migratory tuna

originally these tuna school and killer whales stayed offshore

as the huge offshore tuna migration became depleted the killer whales moved inshore and learned to feed off coastal fisherman’s longlines …like picking apples off a tree…and associated the fishing boat with food

Now this inshore tuna fishery is also depleted

the killer whales are starving to death .

scientists observe near zero killer whale reproductive succes

the present whale attacking boat situation will solve itself only when all the killer whales starve to death

slug zitski

Super Anarchist
worldwide
scientific citation?
Get off your lazy ass ……scientific citation ?

. the internet is swamped with creepy arrogant Highlanders like you

a vast amount of data on the Gibraltar Killer whale herd is available

scientists have been studying whale , fishing boat interaction for decades

if you We’re a seaman you would have been familiar the demise of the bluefin tuna ecosystem

slug zitski

Super Anarchist
worldwide
scientific citation?
Get off your lazy ass ……scientific citation ?

. the internet is swamped with creepy arrogant bottom feeders like you

a vast amount of data on the Gibraltar Killer whale herd is available

scientists have been studying whale , fishing boat interaction for decades

if you We’re a seaman you would have been familiar the demise of the bluefin tuna ecosystem and the behavioral
changes of the killer whale

50BD7D10-7109-4041-8034-E373F6EAD0A8.png

Israel Hands

Super Anarchist
coastal NC
the killer whales are starving to death .

You have just asserted that out of your arse. Nowhere in your citations are orcas suggested to be "starving." While the collapse of the tuna population may stop providing food for them, they are capable of migrating...or their reproduction rate may drop to nothing. Which is a quite different thing than the vision that you are suggesting, of starving orcas attacking fishing vessels and sailboats alike.

The scientific observations IIRC have been that these are young orcas that may be involved in some sort of playful behavior. A far cry from desperate behavior on the part of starving animals.

slug zitski

Super Anarchist
worldwide
Learn how to use the internet or you will forever be a bottom feeder

2019 data….. no killer whale calves were observed

“In the Strait of Gibraltar, the amount of tuna captured by drop-line fishery has been related to the survival of killer whale calves”

“The Strait of Gibraltar population, currently estimated to be fewer than 250 individuals, decreased by 26.2% over 5 years . Population viability analyses predicted an 85% probability of extinction for this population over the next 100 years.”

244AA3CD-91BB-47BA-B750-286133792F0C.jpeg

Israel Hands

Super Anarchist
coastal NC
And that translates to scientific data linking starvation to sailboat attacks...no. I love how you shoot from the hip on this issue, miss by a mile, and when called on it you respond with personal attacks.

Your posts on sailboats are interesting. On orcas, you are in over your head. ;)

Meanwhile, out here on the Left Coast of the USA (NorCal, specifically), the rebounding of all whale populations is off the charts. My last boat has the dubious distinction of colliding with a whale not once, but twice. First time, 200 miles west of San Fransicko, in August 2018. No apparent damage, but the juvenile creature, about 40 feet in length, was asleep on the surface and was so startled it shit itself! The delivery crew got a lesson on whales pooping. The thick, muddy, foul-smelling sludge comes shooting out of the creature's arse with the force of a firehose. Only inches from the hull, the nasty spew hit the boat and shot straight up in the air about 10 feet, and came cascading down into the cockpit, completely sliming one of the crew! He now can tell his children "A whale shit on your father." How many can claim this?

The second time was last May, in Monterey Bay at around 2200, a pitch-black night as we raced under spinnaker, with lots of other boats (and whales, apparently) around us. Churning along in 18-21 TWS under full main at around 8.5 knots, we were changing to a smaller spinnaker and were just about to hoist, when THUMP, THUMP, BUMP! Holy shit! as we all flew ass-over-tea kettle. This huge fucking creature was slashing and churning the water next to us like a giant washing machine agitator. Fucking scary. No damage on the outside except for a dinner plate-sized chunk of bottom paint removed at the point of impact. Three months later, however, when the boat was being closely inspected for a pending sale, we discovered on the inside of the hull, using in a lighted cell phone with camera in an inaccessible area of the forepeak, the same dinner plate-sized star crazing of the fiberglass. This had to be repaired from the inside and outside. I suggested to the new owner he invest in a harpoon. Maybe he can find one in carbon.....