Those who do know shit about tools

Glenn McCarthy

Super Anarchist
Elmhurst, IL
What you got that you added to your collection lately?

I'd much rather stop what I'm doing, get the right tool even if it requires a trip to get one, and do the job with ease.  McGiver-ing with the wrong tools sucks.  I'm always buying tools, adding to the collection, and just picked up this 100+ year old 4" pipe vice, cleaned it for 2-1/2 hours removing caked on layers of oil, and sprayed it, mounted it on a base with (3) 1/2" lag screws -

image.png

I'd much rather stop what I'm doing, get the right tool even if it requires a trip to get one, and do the job with ease.  McGiver-ing with the wrong tools sucks.  I'm always buying tools, adding to the collection, and just picked up this 100+ year old 4" pipe vice, cleaned it for 2-1/2 hours removing caked on layers of oil, and sprayed it, mounted it on a base with (3) 1/2" lag screws -

View attachment 465329
the new GM dick compressor..   kinky...

for me

20350-02-1000.jpg

Black Sox

Super Anarchist
Dublin, Ireland
I wore out a 4' Velander mahogany in my bricklayer days. Now I see them on ebay sold as vintage. Does that make me vintage?
Are you thinking for parts or as a working unit?

Prices will vary depending on age, usage, abusage, carefulness of owner, whether ridden hard and put away wet.

Among other factors.

White Lightning2

Anarchist
PNW
It's not the tools, it's the storage. Lately I've been finding old cabinets, large ones, and converting them into rolling tool bench/Storage units. Nice to finally get all the crap organized!

WL

View attachment 465329
I have a BEAVER if you do Not wanna mess around threading pipe

or wanna make a lathe

Mrleft8

Super Anarchist
Suwanee River
Not criticizing, but..... Aside from the pipe clamp jaws on a regular 8" bench vise, why would anyone need a pipe clamp?

I have one, which I have never used, but I never really understood the purpose, unless you did a lot of black iron gas fittings in a shop, or had it mounted on a 1 ton flat bed work truck.

The purpose of the hobby is to buy tools.

For hobby, fill in as appropriate.  Sailboats, airplanes, motorcycles, cars, and so on.

I think the last major tool I bought was a sewing machine.  My son and I also bought a mig welder not too long ago.  I have a sawzall I bought when I was 16.  My hangar is filled with my tool collection, the largest being an 8' tennsmith sheetmetal brake.

valis

Super Anarchist
Friday Harbor, WA
Recently got this Pick and Place machine (for putting surface-mount components on a circuit board).  The next step is "reflow soldering" in a software controlled infrared oven.

This video is from a test when I was figuring out how to make it all work.  In actual use there would be perhaps 25 reels of component carrier tapes.

First is normal operation, then some slo-mo to show how the component carrier tape is advanced, a part picked up by the vacuum nozzle, and the rotated to the proper orientation.  That bright light is the inspection camera that is used to fine-tune the placement coordinates if necessary due to an offset pick-up.

One hell of a tool that saves me about an hour when building a board.  Before I used tweezers and a stereo microscope.  Those parts can be *tiny*.

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
"Relics of a bygone age" that I couldn't pass up on craigslist, even though I will only use them once every 2 years or so...

View attachment 465422

View attachment 465423

View attachment 465424
Brake rotors are basically no longer turnable - that's why the machine was on CL.

I was talking to my guy about that - a brake job is always new rotors now when I used to get one and sometimes two turnings out of them in the G.O.D.'s. I figured they had lightened them up but apparently It's the lack of asbestos and more aggressive pad material that eats the rotors faster.