Those who do know shit about tools

Grande Mastere Dreade

Snag's spellchecker
Are the Milwaukee and Makita tools sold at Big Box stores the same tools that are sold at contractor suppliers?

I know that some brands sell different versions at Big Box stores made just to hit a price point. They look the same and have similar model numbers, but have lower quality bearings etc.

Anybody know if Milwaukee and/or Makita do that?

I’m in the market for a cordless right angle drill and small cordless drill.
yes they have different level of tools... the Fuel 18v are usually their top end..
https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Innovations/M18-Fuel

they do sell some of them at the big box... make sure it comes with a battery, those mf's are expensive..

Grande Mastere Dreade

Snag's spellchecker
aeQrQmj_460swp.webp

Jules

Super Anarchist
Punta Gorda
I have some Harvey tools so they are always emailing me with other tools I need to own. Usually I just delete the emails without opening them but this one caught my eye - a hold down for their sliding table.
1673879447660.png

I love their slider but there are times a hold down would be really helpful. But it ain't cheap.

They also make a version for a workbench
1673879529393.png

Gotta think about this a bit more before pulling the trigger.

Point Break

Super Anarchist
Long Beach, California
I have some Harvey tools so they are always emailing me with other tools I need to own. Usually I just delete the emails without opening them but this one caught my eye - a hold down for their sliding table.
View attachment 567995

I love their slider but there are times a hold down would be really helpful. But it ain't cheap.

View attachment 567996

How much do they want? Festool has a number of hold down clamps for T tracks and dog holes. I have a few.

Jules

Super Anarchist
Punta Gorda
How much do they want? Festool has a number of hold down clamps for T tracks and dog holes. I have a few.
$189 for the slider version. $199 for the workbench version.

I have a Veritas bench hold down I bought years ago. You can really clamp down on things. Festool's doesn't look like it could put down the same force. But neither would work for my slider.
There have been times I needed an extra hand for large, heavy boards that extend out far enough past the slider that they put a twist in it. But for $189?

Point Break

Super Anarchist
Long Beach, California
$189 for the slider version. $199 for the workbench version.

I have a Veritas bench hold down I bought years ago. You can really clamp down on things. Festool's doesn't look like it could put down the same force. But neither would work for my slider.
There have been times I needed an extra hand for large, heavy boards that extend out far enough past the slider that they put a twist in it. But for $189?
I’m not sure what force you’d need but the festool clamps are pretty strong. You do way more woodwork than I do so perhaps you have needs I have not run across yet.

Leeroy Jenkins

Super Anarchist
Vancouver
View attachment 567995

View attachment 567996

The ones for the slider are handy for quickly straight lining solids, or "free handing" angled panels.

Grog

Anarchist's Anarchist
Germany
ha, you just need a friend with a 3d printer to make the hold down parts and you can cobble together the rest of the hardware...

Sorry, but I have to disagree here.

Anything (plastic) coming out of a 3D printer isn't even close to the strength of the forged and machined clamps from Festool or Bessey. The 3D bits don't even match the fiber injected parts, by a long shot.

Latest posts