Three cheers?

underwaterweapons

Sydney
Is this the original Three Cheers, modified?  Spotted in Pwllheli, North Wales.

IMG_20181017_161910.jpg

IMG_20181017_161954.jpg

ProaSailor

dreaming my life away...
Oregon
Is this the original Three Cheers, modified?
No.  This is Dick Newick's Three Cheers for the 1972 OSTAR, sailed by Tom FOLLETT and then campaigned by Mike MAC MULLEN until boat and skipper were lost at sea in the 1976 OSTAR.  Found here: http://www.histoiredeshalfs.com/50 multis/G N0 Three Cheers.htm

1976 06 NN Ostar 3 Cheers.jpg

This one below, with two crossbeams instead of one, is "THREE CHEERS MKIV", built by Damian McLaughlin, Launched: 1983
https://www.multihull.nl/multihulls/used-multihulls/24431.ThreeCheersIV/Newick-tri.24431.fotos.htm

3CheersIV-port-front-top.jpg   3CheersIV-front-quay.jpg   3CheersIV-stbrd-reach.jpg   3CheersIV-stern-anchor.jpg

P.S.  Looking at Damian McLaughlin's web page, I found this - never heard of it before! 

Eterna - Newick, Proa Catamaran 54', Built in 1980.
Eterna+Newick+Proa+54'+1980.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Rasputin22

Rasputin22
That Hammerhead design is nice but Dick is rolling over in his grave right now. You will hardly ever find a trimaran design that could be mistaken for a Newick. Maybe a Walter Greene or an old Gold Coast 34 design by Roger Hatfield. He would be the first to acknowledge his being a protege of Newicks.

Oh I forgot the sweet little TRANSIENT at 35' by another of Dick's protoge's. Dick left a large impression on many with his slowing organic artistry. 

HG72TE.jpg

Rasputin22

Rasputin22
Looks more like an altered Kelsall, definitely not Newick?
That boat was built in Newick's back yard from the Constant Camber molds that were used for the SIB (Simple is Beautiful) Fish Truck. The guy who built it had worked on the Fish Truck project and drew up his OSTAR racer to use the CC panels and Dick was there looking over his shoulder the whole time. When the little 35'er won its first Trans-At (TwoStar '86) Dick was there at the finish and when a reporter asked the designer/builder what the design was he sort of sheepishly gave his name upon which Dick spoke up and gave the effort his blessing that it could now be known as a Newick/XXX 35. The boat went on to win the '88 OSTAR and I think that photo was in the '92 1Star skippered by Brian Thompson. I lost how many class wins she eventually had in the various Trans-Ats. Just for the record, the Constant Camber was a collaboration between Dick Newick, Jim Brown, and John Marples so TRANSIENT had three very capable and proud Grandfathers. 

Wess

Super Anarchist
Hey @Veegerthey are busting your chops about disavowing trimaran roots, LOL.  Sure does look like a Hammerhead but the one I saw had a wrap around and curved cabin house front... not square like that. But all the rest of it looks like CW and a HH54 for sure.

PS - oh and I think we are going tri again for our next boat (after the toy purchase).

olsurfer

I'd call it a HH54. It might be that a dark paint band around the cabin makes other HH54's look like they have a wrap around window.

A while back I looked at a HH34 back east, talked to Chris and another fellow who had a 34 up in the PNW.

bacq2bacq

Anarchist
Ottawa
Anarchy:   Is it just me, or is every Newick ever built as ugly as sin?

This beholder has never seen beauty in any of Newick's lines.

Confession: F31 Hull#001 and lovin it.

b2b

ProaSailor

dreaming my life away...
Oregon
She is, as others have said, a Chris White designed Hammerhead 54 but she was once owned by Dick Newick, so not the original but related.
Huh?  I don't think Dick Newick ever owned a Hammerhead 54.  Where did you get that?

Latest posts