Thru Hull Camera - or hold one underwater

Ocean View

Australia
I've done some searched but can't seem to find much info or any reports on how successful or not anyone has been with inspecting the keel for weed while racing using a camera.

We often loose boat speed due to weed in the leading edge of the keel - which has a bulb at the base that it really bunches up on.

To get it off - we go head to wind and back the main - drop off sideways and up floats a lump of weed - which works.

But we also do nighttime off-shores so it's harder to see if we have been successful.

So would like to put a camera in the hull or hold one so we can accurately inspect it and know if we have weed on the keel before and after we have tried to remove it.

Anyone with experience in infrared cameras - led lit cameras etc?

Does a thru hull camera -located just in front or behind the keel - have too many bubbles flowing past it to be of use while racing in lumpy seas etc?

We've also thought of maybe holding a camera behind the boat facing forward to get and idea of if we have weed.

And we'd tried the hold someones legs and hold them out to look under the boat - but we just can't see the keel or the bulb.

The weed we get a ribbon weed so it's like a thin ribbon that easily catches on the keel.

Aqualuma with an LED would work but your looking at over $2 grand to do that - plus the screen for inside the boat.

AquaLume Thru Hull Camera

Any ideas?

NED28

I seem to remember a video from, I think it was a Volvo boat, that just had a transparant part laminated into the hull just in front of the keel ....

but I guess that goes just over the $ 2k....

Essex

Super Anarchist
New Jersey
these kind of endoscope / 'inspection cameras' are $200 - $300 US, some claim waterproof camera heads for use in plumbing, all seem to have integral led target lighting.

seems like might be worth a test (guess you would need a new thru hull or maybe rig something to temp replace the speedo paddle wheel if you have one). < 2K might be realistic.

http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardware-Hand-Tools-Inspection-Cameras/h_d1/N-5yc1vZbu7h/R-202716949/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Ocean View

Australia
these kind of endoscope / 'inspection cameras' are $200 - $300 US, some claim waterproof camera heads for use in plumbing, all seem to have integral led target lighting.

seems like might be worth a test (guess you would need a new thru hull or maybe rig something to temp replace the speedo paddle wheel if you have one). < 2K might be realistic.

http://www.homedepot...catalogId=10053
Will give the endoscope a review - ones I've tried so far - at the shop - have not had much depth of field so the top of the keel might be in focus and the bottom would be out of focus. - I've even considered a car reversing camera potted to make it waterproof through a small window which might work OK.

NED28

"I seem to remember a video from, I think it was a Volvo boat, that just had a transparent part laminated into the hull just in front of the keel ....

but I guess that goes just over the $ 2k...."

Thanks for the clear window suggestions - Unfortunately we can't cut a large area out due to the structure of the boat - but a 1 or 2" hole would OK - so the endoscope is the better option by the looks of it.

If anyone has other suggestions happy to hear them and see if we can use them.

Rail Meat

Super Anarchist
Mystic, CT
I have an endoscope, and it is great. You have choices for the length of the enscope shaft and type of lens, and those choices will impact how well you can see different parts of the boat. The location of the through hull fitting can also help or hurt with that. I have one fitting just adjacent to the keel's trailing edge and about 3 feet off center line that allows me to see the front and trailing edge of the keel from hull down to bulb and also lets me see the sail drive. Then I have a second fitting aft that allows me to see both rudders.

It won't help when it is dark. The endoscope itself has a fitting that will allow for a camera to be hooked up, but I have never used it that way and nor do I know if there are any infrared options that would allow for visibility in the dark.

I got the endoscope as well as the through hull fittings from Diverse Yacht Services in the UK. Be warned... it is not a cheap solution.

Streetwise

Super Anarchist
Lake Champlain
I have no experience with thru-hull cameras, but I would say that if you have separate thru-hulls for speed and depth, you could combine those with a triducer and free up the other thru-hull for your camera, if it is anywhere near the right place.

Good luck,

jason

Ocean View

Australia
Thanks Railmeat

Good feedback and will see what options we have re making some off centre holes to get some other angle views.

Good luck with the long races and campaign your doing. Enjoy :)

Hyperstay

Cheers we already run single transducer for the tacktick speed / depth log and only have the one thru hull penetration at present.

Hard aground

re a kelp cutter - can you point me in the right direction re types / options - we've thought of one on the leading edge but the weed is pretty thin and not sure it would cut very well - as opposed to simply move with the cutter.

Chet

Melges 24 has a kelp cutter. It involves a slot in the leading edge of the keel and a knife that runs up and down. Think about that slot in the leading edge, disturbing flow, in the absolute worst part of the hull for disturbed flow.

aa