Time to look for a new #1 jib.

sheethead

Branford CT
She's an old girl, 1990's vintage X-372, we got a new Dacron main last year and its past time to replace the burlap sack that we call the #1.

Obviously Dacron isnt the ideal material but we have had good success with the NS dacron #2. I am inclined to go for a string laminate, but pause at the alleged short lifespan. I don't know the real lifespan of string sails, going off of hearsay... Reaching spin is on the wishlist, would be nice to work that in as well!

Thoughts or recommendations on sail material and/or loft in the LIS area?

Crash

Super Anarchist
SoCal
Depends on what you mean for "lifespan". If you mean how long the sail remain structually sound, Dacron wins hands down. If you mean how long it holds an effective racing shape, String sails win. I'd wager a string sail, that is relatively well cared for, should last a club level program like yours a good 4 years or so from a shape standpoint, and 5 to 7 from a structural standpoint.

My light air #1 is going on 5 years now. Shape is going south, but structurally she looks great...

F18 Sailor

Super Anarchist
Annapolis, MD
We've gotten 5 years out of our Quantum #1 and #3 string head sails, mostly distance racing the boat (4 class wins in Governors Cup out of 5 years of racing the boat). We have a Fusion M or rather similar technology mainsail, it uses strings between layers of dacron essentially. These are by far the best big boat sails I've ever had the pleasure to work with, and I'm sure we'll be going back to Quantum in a year or 2 when we decide to replace them to maintain racing shape.

Last edited by a moderator:

George Hackett

Super Anarchist
first thing i would look at is the type of sailing i plan to do with the sail. i would not spend for String Sails if i plan to do only local club racing along with cruising with the family. from what i am reading, this sail is a Genoa that overlaps. those sails get raped on the rigging and mast with every tack. again another reason not to go String unless you are really serious about your racing.

your boat being a 37ftr also means that Panneled Exotic sails could be the answer. longevity will come from how the sails are used and care for. i have a set of Tape Drive sails that i got in 2007. i am still using them for club racing. yea they are starting to show thier age, but they still have not blown up in my face. but these sails are cared for.

choice of loft to me should be based on who can give you the service you deserve as a boat owner. there are a lot of good quality sail loft with good products. so for me, serivce counts. make sure they come to you. they sit down with you and really sell themselves to you. thier product will follow.

you do not want to spend all the hard earn money to have your order show up on your boat one day, dumped in the cockpit along with the other goodies your ordered and no one to put it all together and work with you. i have seen that happen all too often when one goes to these cheapie sailmakers. this happened to an old family friend. he ordered a Cruising Spinnaker with a Sock. the sale's rep just dumped it all in his cockpit and i had to put it together and go sailing with the owner.

i hope this helps.

sheethead

Branford CT
Thanks for all of the great insight, I do agree with the service aspect of purchasing new sails. True story: Bought a new main, sailmaker got REALLY sick, didnt get him back out until the last month of the season. Needless to say, I wanted to put the old main back on but kept trying to trim the new sail, we were supposed to sail faster with the new cut damit! After the season, returned the main, got a full recut, new cars, new batten pockets... This season, with the recut main, we were in the money 9 out of 14 races.... yeah, service counts! (BTW, TOTALLY not the sailmaker's fault he couldnt get out, don't go there)

Our racing is not at a pro level, but between May and October, 14 regattas, wednesday night beer cans that switches to sunday in the fall, maybe another 22 trips to the start line so, I dunno, is almost 40 race days light use? We do a booze cruize a couple of times a year, usually put up a small headsail so we don't need to fuss with it.

Again, thanks everyone- the more info, the better!

Cheers, Jim