Tips for glassing in a GRP tube.

MiddayGun

Super Anarchist
Yorkshire
I'm finally getting around to fixing my cockpit drains, I had a topic on this a while back. 

I'll be glassing a piece of angled tube from the aft corner of the cockpit through to an existing pocket in the transom, this is to replace the existing POS setup that uses what appears to be a sink waste. I want the opening to cover half the cockpit sole & half the aft face of the cockpit, all water pools at the aft end in my cockpit so this should take care of it all. 

Just looking for some tips on how to glass in the glass tube strongly & fairing it so it doesn't look shit and hacked into place. 
I'd like to use polyester resin for the outside parts of the join (cockpit side & transom side) so that I can gelcoat it afterwards, for the inside of the join in the boat I'm happy to use epoxy if the extra strength is needed. 

I'm guessing, grind back a taper & use smaller overlaying strips of glass, fair it up & then gelcoat & blend in with surrounding. 

Last time I did this was a stern tube, but that was 12 years ago. 

View attachment 371970 View attachment 372902 View attachment 374701

Steam Flyer

Sophisticated Yet Humble
Eastern NC
Why not do a bit of surface grind on the box and on the cockpit corner, then fill the space between with putty and glass the outside of the putty blob, then drill thru a large diameter hole and glass the inside the inside of the hole? Each stage of the job will be short and relatively simple and should leave you with a nice drain... pick the size grate you want over it, grind a little divot to accept grate, hit it with some rattle-can appliance epoxy finish.

I futzed around for a year trying to put in flat-bottomed ovals for scuppers in our bulwarks for over a year. I planned to do six, ended up doing two... one sloppy because I didn't know how, the 2nd was sloppy because it couldn't be done (very poor access) and I ran out of patience.

FB- Doug

MiddayGun

Super Anarchist
Yorkshire
Why not do a bit of surface grind on the box and on the cockpit corner, then fill the space between with putty and glass the outside of the putty blob, then drill thru a large diameter hole and glass the inside the inside of the hole? Each stage of the job will be short and relatively simple and should leave you with a nice drain... pick the size grate you want over it, grind a little divot to accept grate, hit it with some rattle-can appliance epoxy finish.

I futzed around for a year trying to put in flat-bottomed ovals for scuppers in our bulwarks for over a year. I planned to do six, ended up doing two... one sloppy because I didn't know how, the 2nd was sloppy because it couldn't be done (very poor access) and I ran out of patience.

FB- Doug
That's actually quite a good idea, I'll definitely consider it. 
I've just been starting at it the last few times I've been down. I'm thinking of waiting for the end of the season now and getting the boat under cover because knowing me it will end up being an extended job & the weather is sure to rain incessantly. 

@Kenny Dumas I did consider that with maybe a short length of flexi in the middle, I'm not sure if there is the space available to make that work. 

Will1073

Anarchist
I would also be concerned with any flex that might happen from weight the cockpit being applied to the box. I guess have someone jump around in the back and see how tender it is before mating the two.

Latest posts