TNZ Launching AC72 next Saturday

hoom

Super Anarchist
Orkland
RadioNZ just announced TNZ is having launch event on Saturday.

Edit: http://etnzblog.com/#!2012/07/big-night-in-auckland-with-the-big-cat

Grant Dalton admires the Emirates Team New Zealand AC72
Emirates Team New Zealand will reveal its AC72 catamaran at a public event at Viaduct Harbour on Saturday, July 21

The team is promising a spectacular “launch day” for the big catamaran which another step forward in the team’s campaign to win the 2013 America’s Cup at San Francisco.

Team managing director Grant Dalton says July 21 will be a big day for the team. “We have been working towards the day for 18 months. Until now we have said very little about the AC72 project and we have shown even less.

“The design team of more than 30 people has been working since the end of 2010. The build team started in August last year. The AC72i represents more than 50 man-years of design time and 65,000 hours of build time.

“The design and build work has gone ahead behind closed doors. Now it’s time to share their creation with New Zealand.

“The team will be celebrating and we invite people to celebrate with us. He said the July 21 show is free to the public. “People will have great views from the Halsey Street wharf, from public areas around the Viaduct Events Centre and from the area around the lifting bridge.

“The action takes place on the water bounded by the Halsey Street wharf and the bridge.”

He urges people to arrive at the Viaduct by 5.30pm. “The first few hundred will have the opportunity to be part of the launch crew. The show will get underway by 5.45pm.”

Should the weather refuse to cooperate on the Saturday July 21, the show will go on the following day, Sunday July 22.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dixie

Reporters
SF
"The design and build work has gone ahead behind closed doors. Now it's time to share their creation with New Zealand."

EDIT: And the rest of the world.
rolleyes.gif

eric e

Super Anarchist
nz.akl
“The first few hundred will have the opportunity to be part of the launch crew. The show will get underway by 5.45pm.”

well, there's your crane

hoom

Super Anarchist
Orkland
34 staff * 18mths = 612 man months = 51 man years.

I'm sure there is a man-trol joke in there somewhere but I seem to have lost it.

~Stingray~~

Super Anarchist

Edit: http://etnzblog.com/...ith-the-big-cat

LRCC120713-419.jpg

Sweet photo!

Aside from GD's admirable (admiring) reflection, is this right?

The other hull is reflected too - see the Camper logo backwards mirroring the one behind GD

The big beam behind him is also reflected, some tramp behind that, and the rear beam beyond that.. and the rear beam - it isn't a two-pieces in-parallel one-above-the-other arrangement, is it? Wow, if so...

And ~possibly~ a large center spine, above the reflected hull.

Clean shop, very nice paint too.

Xlot

Super Anarchist
Rome
Last minute musing: drum cassette rudders? Wouldn't work with T-rudders but what's the alternative, really?

Mariner

Super Anarchist
SF Bay Area

Edit: http://etnzblog.com/...ith-the-big-cat

LRCC120713-419.jpg

Sweet photo!

The other hull is reflected too - see the Camper logo backwards mirroring the one behind GD

The big beam behind him is also reflected, some tramp behind that, and the rear beam beyond that.. and the rear beam - it isn't a two-pieces in-parallel one-above-the-other arrangement, is it? Wow, if so...

Killer! I'm freakin excited... leave it to the Kiwis to beat us Yanks to the water with the new AC generation boat... bet they are proud as hell about that. :)

nav

Super Anarchist
LRCC120713-419.jpg

Sweet photo!

Difficult to decipher but yes I think I see a 'third beam' back there.

And if you care to go back to the very first picture of the shrink-wrapped hull you'll find that I pointed out at the time - up to 4 beam attachment points.

The rear beam looks to be lower and behind the one that appears to support the aft edge of the white tramp, rather than parallel - at least to my eye.

The 'tramp' does not appear to extend full width either - any ideas?

Thanks for 'breaking the thread' Hoom, where we have been discussing this for months/years.
ohmy.gif

~Stingray~~

Super Anarchist
Nav, anyone, am squinting at a small-screen now but

It does look like a third beam back there, and not vertically parallel as i first suggested, its reflection starting at the top of his right ear, agreed. And if your 'four possible attachment points' suggestion from back-when is correct, then there may be a beam f'ward of GD, 'behind' us. Is there a rule against > 2 xbeams?

The 'far side of' the tramp may just be obscured by GD's arm position, it likely does go full-width.

No suggestion of centered grinding stations in what we (think we can) see so far, which also corroborates what LR's Erickson suggested in Newport during the Sailing World video interview w Streuli.

nav

Super Anarchist
Nav, anyone, am squinting at a small-screen now but

It does look like a third beam back there, and not vertically parallel as i first suggested, its reflection starting at the top of his right ear, agreed. And if your 'four possible attachment points' suggestion from back-when is correct, then there may be a beam f'ward of GD, 'behind' us. Is there a rule against > 2 xbeams?

The 'far side of' the tramp may just be obscured by GD's arm position, it likely does go full-width.

No suggestion of centered grinding stations in what we (think we can) see so far, which also corroborates what LR's Erickson suggested in Newport during the Sailing World video interview w Streuli.
Tramps can be made of all sorts of 'stuff' I guess and may well be almost invisible in the reflection. There is a small section of black tarp (you have no hope on a small screen) which appears to follow the 'slope' of the tramp between the rear two beams.

The platform is in the bloody wing tent! WTF

LRCC120713-419.jpg

And did you catch the drunk painter who has just slid to the bottom of the ladder? I bet GD kicked his/her arse
smile.gif

~Stingray~~

Super Anarchist
I ~did~ notice that figure too! Lol

By the way a couple of tent-frame lines reflected, I thought when looking earlier that the hull may have a narrow horizontal 'dimple' running forward/backward at about half height; can't point to it right now. edit, okay maybe not but in looking closely again, the GD side tramp is hidden not by his arm, but by the beam just behind him.

Something else, carbon black, looks like it could be a beam or a temporary spine support, has its end-face reflected in the shot too, GD's thumb almost touching where it reflects.

~Stingray~~

Super Anarchist
Wait, is that photo shopped? The the hair in GD's left ear is usually visible!

C'mon Clean, that has to be FP material? :)

nav

Super Anarchist
I know you're going to post an annotated version any minute.

Did you catch my edit above, to the effect that the platform is actually in the wing tent!

I've been looking in the wrong direction!
laugh.gif

~Stingray~~

Super Anarchist
^ Lol, you're correcting ypuself all over the place today :) Again, good onya!

This launch is going to be seriously cool. I hope like someone above asked, that we will all get to see it live somehow. It looks ferkin fast even standing still!