To sailing Anarchy: Harden the F**k up. Love, Grant Dalton

so.....

So we're having an e-mail conversation with Grant Dalton about their TP 52 and he mentions that SA is great and comments that we've gone a bit mainstream of late and hopes we're not going soft. I give him the "we're broadening our horizons" bullshit spiel and ask him if he believes it. His reply? "No, sounds like you need to harden the fuck up to me, actually".

This is the most epic thing i have heard all week.

your thoughts people?

morrisre

Super Anarchist
Which phase of the moon are we in? Is TNZ taking the Alinghi shilling or distancing them selves at the moment? And if the Kiwi's are palling up with BMWO are they going to build their own monster multihull and hold their best mates to the offer to hold a challanger selection?

Last edited by a moderator:

Indio

Super Anarchist
Auckland
Which phase of the moon are we in at the moment? Is TNZ taking the Alinghi shilling or distancing them selves at the moment? And if the Kiwi's are palling up with BMWO are they going to build their own monster multihull and hold their best mates to the offer to hold a challanger selection?
No, they can't afford it for a start. And they understand the default DoG match situation, unlike those Green spaghetti munchers. If anything, I suspect Dalton is going over some preliminary design ideas for a Volvo winner.

morrisre

Super Anarchist
Lost track of that argument on that one. What's the wisdom these days? When does the challanger have to nominate the actual boat they're going to sail in the match and the sailors that will sail (according to the DOG and what ever cort bitching has been going on)?

I know there's nothing forcing BMWO to hold a challanger trial but since they made such a show of having one at one point ... what are they afraid of? That they might not make the actual Cup if they did (again)?

(no, that does not make me an Alinghi fan)

Indio

Super Anarchist
Auckland
Lost track of that argument on that one. What's the wisdom these days? When does the challanger have to nominate the actual boat they're going to sail in the match and the sailors that will sail (according to the DOG and what ever cort bitching has been going on)?
I know there's nothing forcing BMWO to hold a challanger trial but since they made such a show of having one at one point ... what are they afraid of? That they might not make the actual Cup if they did (again)?

(no, that does not make me an Alinghi fan)
There are a hundred and one pages in a hundred and one threads on the Dog Match......knock yourself out reading through them all.

morrisre

Super Anarchist
Exactly, reading this forum has the same effect for interest in the AC that The Lord does for bi-volks-foiling. No one brave enough to come up with a summary for the non Anto's out here?

eric e

Super Anarchist
nz.akl

This is the most epic thing i have heard all week.

your thoughts people?
GD's my kind of sailor

EB and LE, are on another planet

i can't imagine enjoying a beer with them on anything like an equal footing

i'm reminded of the story of NZ's best general of WW2

when driving through an NZ base in his staff car with a british officer, general's pennant flying, the brit complained that the men weren't turning and saluting the car as it drove past

freyberg said, "nah, they're a freindly enough bunch, you wave to them and they'll wave back"

or words to that effect

HTFU guys

faint heart only ever won opti race

eric e

Super Anarchist
nz.akl
from an ice hockey site of all places

I have been impressed with the leadership style of Tiny Freyberg, a World War II General from New Zealand. As you read the following story, I encourage you to extrapolate the underlying values and principles that fueled Freyberg’s leadership style and see how they may help you lead this season.

As two Generals stood talking in the North African sun shortly before the fateful battle of El Alamein in 1942, several New Zealand soldiers strolled past without giving any sign of recognition toward the Generals. “Don’t you chaps salute anymore,” inquired Lieutenant General Bernard Montgomery, commander of the British Eighth Army.

“Oh, they’re alright,” replied Lieutenant General Sir Bernard Freyberg, commander of the Second New Zealand Expeditionary Force, grinning. “If you just wave to them, they’ll wave right back.”

That was typical of “Tiny” Freyberg, one of the greatest fighting Generals of WWII. 6-2, with broad shoulders and a rough-hewn face, he was a big man in every way, too big to let rank come between him and his troops.

Tiny Freyberg was a soldier’s General, a born leader who won the respect and devotion of his men through feats of cold courage and acts of warm compassion. Rather than commanding from the rear, he was always near the front, usually sitting cross-legged on top of a tank. Churchill dubbed him the Salamander because despite being wounded in action nine times, he seemed to thrive under fire, playing a major role in battles such as Alamein, Tripoli and Trieste. Beneath Freyberg’s rugged exterior was a kind, sensitive man who worried constantly abo ut his troops. Except in combat, when necessity made him belligerent, he was genial, generous and engagingly modest. He had such boyish charm that his friend Sir James Barrie once described him as, “Peter Pan grown up.”

In 1916, as a colonel in France, Freyberg won Britain’s highest award for valor, the Victoria Cross. When his battalion suffered heavy losses in an attack at the Somme, he left his headquarters and raced forward through a barrage that killed both his adjutant and his signals officer. Rallying his own troops and strays from other units, Freyberg led a fresh sortie through the German lines and took 600 prisoners. Twice wounded, he held his ground for 24 hours under steady fire, then drove into a heavily fortified village, which was the objective of his whole division, and captured it. Though hit two more times, he refused to be carried away until he had given instructions for defending the new position.

Freyberg ended the war as one of Britain’s most decorated heroes as well as the youngest brigadier in the British Army. The doors of London society opened wide to him. One of his good friends, Winston Churchill, was so fascinated by the reports of Freyberg’s many war wounds that he once asked to see them. “He stripped,” Churchill wrote later, “and I counted 27 separate scars and gashes.”

His senior staff officer for two years in North Africa and Italy, who worked, ate and lived with Tiny Freyberg, learned firsthand why the 30,000 men in his command worshipped him.

“You can’t treat a man like a butler,” Freyberg used to say, “and expect him to fight like a gladiator.”

No detail affecting his troops was too minor for Freyberg’s attention. It was his idea to equip his division with the only mobile bakery in the Eighth Army. When even Montgomery had to make due with bully beef and hardtack, Freyberg’s men enjoyed the luxury of fresh bread.

One of his familiar expressions was: “Morale is a lot of little things.”

http://www.bchockey.com/story/9/Instructio...ompassion_.aspx

someone has to do the kiwi thing now hasty departed hastily

there are rumours going around that ETNZ will have a crack at the volvo if the cup gets delayed again. its not as if GD hasn't got experience in winning it. they could easily take out a volvo race...

they wouldn't go for a DoG, too expensive to build and we learnt that lesson in 1988 remember? KZ-1, that "Big Boat" as its known by land lubbers in NZ, is now on display in the viaduct as a monument to stupidity. i don't think GD would fancy having to take on their ally in case ETNZ won, BOR would not be happy.

morrisre

Super Anarchist
KZ-1, that "Big Boat" as its known by land lubbers in NZ, is now on display in the viaduct as a monument to stupidity.
Depends how you look at it. I thought it was awesome and admired the balls required to build it. Shouldn't be forgotten that when it apeared it scared the shit out of the yanks so much they built a cat in response.

hoom

Super Anarchist
Orkland
Much as I love GD & I admit that a bunch of the SA posters are at least soft in the head but; what the fuck is an April 09, 8 post noob doing claiming to be representing SA?!

KZ-1, that "Big Boat" as its known by land lubbers in NZ, is now on display in the viaduct as a monument to stupidity
I see it as a monument to the old NZ. The build it here then go out & take on the world attitude.

Albatros

Super Anarchist
aha, in pure AC forum tradition, another "having" question comes up ... what did the fucker say , was it

a ) "No, sounds like you need to harden the fuck up to me, actually"

b ) "No, sounds like you need to harden the fuck up to me, actually"

since it's friday, and the second option is more fun : hey you silly Kiwi twat, whose cock are you sucking these days and when are you going to show some tits huh ? :p

tits 'n pussy, that's what is needed here.

t_p.jpg

ro!

Super Anarchist
Bum fuck usa
there are rumours going around that ETNZ will have a crack at the volvo if the cup gets delayed again. its not as if GD hasn't got experience in winning it. they could easily take out a volvo race...
they wouldn't go for a DoG, too expensive to build and we learnt that lesson in 1988 remember? KZ-1, that "Big Boat" as its known by land lubbers in NZ, is now on display in the viaduct as a monument to stupidity. i don't think GD would fancy having to take on their ally in case ETNZ won, BOR would not be happy.

yea... the last thing gd wants is to have both of the bils pissed at him at the same time.

I guess in your world having le as an allie means you are not allowed to beat him because it would make him unhappy....harden the fuck up.

dacapo

Super Anarchist
NY
aha, in pure AC forum tradition, another "having" question comes up ... what did the fucker say , was it
a ) "No, sounds like you need to harden the fuck up to me, actually"

b ) "No, sounds like you need to harden the fuck up to me, actually"

since it's friday, and the second option is more fun : hey you silly Kiwi twat, whose cock are you sucking these days and when are you going to show some tits huh ? :p

tits 'n pussy, that's what is needed here.

oh that lucky pussy(cat)

Much as I love GD & I admit that a bunch of the SA posters are at least soft in the head but; what the fuck is an April 09, 8 post noob doing claiming to be representing SA?!
KZ-1, that "Big Boat" as its known by land lubbers in NZ, is now on display in the viaduct as a monument to stupidity
I see it as a monument to the old NZ. The build it here then go out & take on the world attitude.

i never said i was representing SA; just wondering what other people thought of the story, coz i thought it was pretty bloody funny. i inserted the blog post from the main page then wrote below it. if date of membership and number of posts matters you then thats pretty sad. i personally wouldn't know if anarchy has gone soft recently, as i have only been visiting it since last year.. hence why i asked other people's opinions.

good point though, but it was known that you could theoretically use a cat or whatever, as the deed definitions are quite vague!

ro!: yes but ETNZ are friends with BOR/LE. LE has the money to do what ETNZ would probably like to do but can't... Take down Alinghi in court. there has always been bad blood between ETNZ and Alinghi, always will be. BOR stand for what is right.. sportsmanship etc etc. they have been doing the right thing through the courts etc and it would take a bunch of pricks (greencomm) to barge in and demand a free slice of DoG cake. BOR have taken up the fight for the side of good, so they should be allowed their shot at the mug. they would probably beat an ETNZ DoG challenger anyway! Alinghi deserve to have their arses kicked, for the moral crime of hijacking a prestigeous sporting event, sailing's shop window event. don't even start me on the no-show at the louis Vuitton, why don't Alinghi harden the fuck up and race? thats what the world wants to know ro!, are they gonna harden the fuck up and race BOR for 'pink slips' in feburary?

but i digress

a sailing team CEO saying "harden the fuck up" tells me two things, 1) GD has watched 'chopper reid' on you tube, and 2) has a sense of humour that is distinctly lacking from the AC scene at the moment!

Stingray

Super Anarchist
PNW
He's quoting from today's FP blurb.

There's no good context to put the HTFU quote into, maybe it'll come out later in another fp piece.

My sense is that NZ and Ozzie language style is more free and bawdy than what most US or Europeans use; and so it occasionally strikes some of us as crude instead of what it normally is; humor.

He's quoting from today's FP blurb.

There's no good context to put the HTFU quote into, maybe it'll come out later in another fp piece.

My sense is that NZ and Ozzie language style is more free and bawdy than what most US or Europeans use; and so it occasionally strikes some of us as crude instead of what it normally is; humor.

thanks stingray. i met GD once and somehow i don't think hes inclined to want someone to harden up to him! and yes you are correct, it comes from being somewhat marooned on islands on the bottom of the planet and a post-colonial, working class hangover.

go the friday tits 'n pussy

hoom

Super Anarchist
Orkland
Right, I see it on the front page now that I've been pointed there.

This sort of confusion can be avoided by doing one of the following:

From the Front Page: Grant Dalton says "harden the fuck up"

harden the fuck up
[/curmudgeon]