Tom Speer has died

Zonker

Super Anarchist
Canada
For those that don't read the Multihull forum. Tom was very involved in various AC campaigns.

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
Damn..... Loved that guy.

from the link

1669852138088.png

Last edited:

buckdouger

Anarchist
Very sad to hear. He was a great contributor here and even more generous with his expertise one on one. He was happy to explain in detail the compromises and multidisciplinary engineering approach that went into AC foil design when asked out of the blue.

I had the chance to hire him for a project and he was a font of knowledge then too, and as great to work with as you'd imagine given his CV and generosity.

I tend to think his background was pretty unique and probably a boom for sailing that his aeronautical expertise got to be put to work bringing sailing under the umbrella of scientifically driven, and professionally run fluid dynamics technology development.

Thanks @Basiliscus, great to know you.

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
One of many good Tom memories I have is the squirrel feeder he built at the home he retired to overlooking Hood Canal on Puget Sound. It was amazing what the squirrels navigated!

Other more SAAC-oriented memories include ones he shared with me and Rennie and others in San Francisco, and with Xlot - who bought him lunch on the Seattle waterfront after a presentation Tom gave to the Corinthian Yacht Club.

RIP.............

Last edited: