Top ten things that I HOPE we CHANGE

Politicians: Term Limits by all means. LBJ was a high school teacher and became a politicians who retired a multi millionaire. Wise investments, savings, part time jobs? I think not.

Lobbyists: Who do you think pays the politicians?

Attorneys: Most politicians are attorneys so guess who most of the laws affecting attorneys favor. Also, if you sue someone and lose, you should have to pay all of both sides bills - commonsense. We would have far less frivolous law suits.

Civil Rights: At one time needed but now we have affirmative action which is blatant discrimination plain and simple. We've gone too far! History teaches us that most races have been enslaved at one time or another. I never owned a slave and you never were a slave; get over it.

Unions: At one time much needed but now riddled with greed, corruption, politics and empty retirement fund accounts.

Criminal Rights: Why is some SOB who raped, tortured, and killed a 8 year old girl still alive 20-30 years later? What about victim rights?

Environmental Regulations: At one time needed but now the regulators are stopping progress, growth, and development. No longer based on science but based on emotions and political winds.

Guns: If all guns were banned today in the US, 100 years from now, the bad guys would still have gun. Make a wild guess at who would be in charge. Keep the crazies out of the gun shops.

Too Generous: After winning both World Wars we became the richest and most powerful nation in the world. Since then we have given almost everything away - money, jobs, independence, power, and freedoms.

Abortion and Gays: Much too personal for any government to become involved.

Bull Gator

Banned
Re criminal rights.

The death penalty is immoral, fallible (innocent people get murdered by the state) and inequitably applied ( rich and white people disproportionately do not get it). Reasonable people are all for throwing the worst of the worst in prison for life but the state can have no role in their death.

Last edited by a moderator:

Not My Real Name

Not Actually Me
Politicians: Term Limits by all means. LBJ was a high school teacher and became a politicians who retired a multi millionaire. Wise investments, savings, part time jobs? I think not. Puts training wheels on the electoral process and deprives me of the right of voting for who I want to represent me. What we need instead is complete campaign finance overhaul and much more careful monitoring of the revolving doors between corporations, lobbyists, and representatives.

Lobbyists: Who do you think pays the politicians? In need of total reform. Wouldn't it be awesome if you worked for the government or held office you couldn't become a lobbyist or corporate adviser for a hideously long time?

Attorneys: Most politicians are attorneys so guess who most of the laws affecting attorneys favor. Also, if you sue someone and lose, you should have to pay all of both sides bills - commonsense. We would have far less frivolous law suits. What a great way to ensure that the wealthy corporations will never be threatened by the people they harm! How on earth can your average consumer, never mind a poor one, hope to stand up if they get screwed? Totally wrongheaded...you see more frivolous lawsuits by people with money to pay lawyers hourly; it's harder to get someone to take a crap suit on contingency. See: ************ vs. Sailing Anarchy for an example.

Civil Rights: At one time needed but now we have affirmative action which is blatant discrimination plain and simple. We've gone too far! History teaches us that most races have been enslaved at one time or another. I never owned a slave and you never were a slave; get over it. That does not mean there are still not significant disadvantages to not being white. There are still people that need a leg up, and you can often pick them out of a crowd by their background. Maybe you remove race from it? But how do you help some inner city kid with only crap schools to go to get out of that cycle?

Unions: At one time much needed but now riddled with greed, corruption, politics and empty retirement fund accounts. Interesting to note that on average women make about 70-75% of what men make doing the exact same jobs. Except union jobs, where they make exactly the same. Some unions are out of hand, and certainly some contracts have gone too far. But many industries have shown no signs of being any more trustworthy now than they were before Unions.

Criminal Rights: Why is some SOB who raped, tortured, and killed a 8 year old girl still alive 20-30 years later? What about victim rights?

What about them? What about some SOB who was convicted and spent 20 years in jail, only to be released when new evidence comes out that he's innocent? How do you un-Execute him if you killed him? You are talking about changing the penal system to a revenge based system - completely inappropriate.

Environmental Regulations: At one time needed but now the regulators are stopping progress, growth, and development. No longer based on science but based on emotions and political winds. Utter, utter crap. There is evidence every day in the news from the BP oil spill, to plants in texas exploding, to products liability issues and faulty products. In many ways the regulations are too easy to get around, so many of these weasels only get caught when they blow something up.

Guns: If all guns were banned today in the US, 100 years from now, the bad guys would still have gun. Make a wild guess at who would be in charge. Keep the crazies out of the gun shops. Lets try making it easier to get mental health care than it is to buy a gun.

Too Generous: After winning both World Wars we became the richest and most powerful nation in the world. Since then we have given almost everything away - money, jobs, independence, power, and freedoms. I agree with you in principle with this. Much, much shit is broken at home yet we don't have the money to fix that because we're sending money elsewhere.

Abortion and Gays: Much too personal for any government to become involved. Yup.

mikewof

mikewof
Politicians: Term Limits by all means. LBJ was a high school teacher and became a politicians who retired a multi millionaire. Wise investments, savings, part time jobs? I think not.

Lobbyists: Who do you think pays the politicians?

Attorneys: Most politicians are attorneys so guess who most of the laws affecting attorneys favor. Also, if you sue someone and lose, you should have to pay all of both sides bills - commonsense. We would have far less frivolous law suits.

Civil Rights: At one time needed but now we have affirmative action which is blatant discrimination plain and simple. We've gone too far! History teaches us that most races have been enslaved at one time or another. I never owned a slave and you never were a slave; get over it.

Unions: At one time much needed but now riddled with greed, corruption, politics and empty retirement fund accounts.

Environmental Regulations: At one time needed but now the regulators are stopping progress, growth, and development. No longer based on science but based on emotions and political winds.

Guns: If all guns were banned today in the US, 100 years from now, the bad guys would still have gun. Make a wild guess at who would be in charge. Keep the crazies out of the gun shops.

Too Generous: After winning both World Wars we became the richest and most powerful nation in the world. Since then we have given almost everything away - money, jobs, independence, power, and freedoms.

Abortion and Gays: Much too personal for any government to become involved.
You did a good job with this. I have a few questions for you if you don't mind ...
Attorneys - Litigants can already sue for defense costs. The defendant's "frivolous" lawsuit may actually be a valid claim. What law do you want to change?

Victims' rights - Specifically, what do you propose here? What changes to existing laws?

Unions - Are you proposing making them illegal? Imprisoning union activists? What is your plan here?

Environmental regulations - specifically, which ones do you want to shitcan as being currently unnecessary?

Guns - You want to keep the "crazies out of the gun shop." How do you propose that should be accomplished?

Abortion - You write that it's too personal for the government to become involved. So repeal all laws related to abortions? Would you be okay with legalizing abortions on late term fetuses? Third trimester abortions okay whenever mother wants it?

Too generous - Do you propose ending all foreign aid? Ending all foreign military interventions?

ya know, the whole court cost thing really is quite a double edged sword. We have been victim to numerous frivolous lawsuits with our family company. All of kinds of stupid shit that was not always linked to being our product in the first place - but it still cost us and our insurance company (which of course means that it cost us even more in the long run) a lot of money. By that same token, there are legitimate times when a wealthy individual or corporation will have overstepped its bounds or have acted negligent in one way or another. The only solution i can offer is to perhaps set a floating rate at the discretion of the judge (cause im sure that wouldnt be a problem in its own right) or a capped amount - or some mixture of the two. I cannot quantify this claim, but i do have to wonder how many frivolous lawsuits are financed by the lawyers anyway? Perhaps having the plaintiff - or, more accurately, the plaintiff's lawyer - paying court costs really isnt the end of the world anyway...

As for abortion, that should probably be a state rights issue - within reason. Nothing wrong with the pill - everything wrong with sucking a skull flat for a partial abortion.

benwynn

Super Anarchist
I fucking hate these simplistic, generalizing, fix it laundry lists.

You may as well ban the sale of large sodas while your at it. Oh wait.... Somebody fucking tried that already. I hear instances of police brutality and innocent people harmed during high speed pursuits. Better add disbanding police departments to your list, because it just doesn't sound quite moronic enough yet.

And if you'll pardon me while I join BJ and Mark and muck up the works with some objective thought, pick up a copy of "Fast Food Nation" and read the section on the meat packing industry. Were unions needed back in the 1904? Because in regard to working conditions, that's where that industry is right now.

mikewof

mikewof
I've yet to see one that is based on changing specific laws, or changing laws in a way that can offer a pathway to compliance and enforcement.
Reminds me of those Miss America replies that were so popular back when folks still wore Eisenhower jackets ... "We should create peace in the world."

Okay, girly ... how, specifically, do we do that?

But the laundry lists perpetually appeal to those who can't be bothered to think these things through, and they're pretty much the go-to pantry staple of any and all politicians up on the town square soapbox.

mikewof

mikewof
As for abortion, that should probably be a state rights issue - within reason. Nothing wrong with the pill - everything wrong with sucking a skull flat for a partial abortion.
So in other words, no major change on abortion laws?

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
ya know, the whole court cost thing really is quite a double edged sword. We have been victim to numerous frivolous lawsuits with our family company. All of kinds of stupid shit that was not always linked to being our product in the first place - but it still cost us and our insurance company (which of course means that it cost us even more in the long run) a lot of money. By that same token, there are legitimate times when a wealthy individual or corporation will have overstepped its bounds or have acted negligent in one way or another. The only solution i can offer is to perhaps set a floating rate at the discretion of the judge...
I could offer copying what most advanced countries do: loser pays.
But copying them is only a good idea when it comes to health care and guns, certainly not how lawyers are paid.

Death Roll

Super Anarchist
ya know, the whole court cost thing really is quite a double edged sword. We have been victim to numerous frivolous lawsuits with our family company. All of kinds of stupid shit that was not always linked to being our product in the first place - but it still cost us and our insurance company (which of course means that it cost us even more in the long run) a lot of money. By that same token, there are legitimate times when a wealthy individual or corporation will have overstepped its bounds or have acted negligent in one way or another. The only solution i can offer is to perhaps set a floating rate at the discretion of the judge...
I could offer copying what most advanced countries do: loser pays.
But copying them is only a good idea when it comes to health care and guns, certainly not how lawyers are paid.
Agreed. There is no need to play "imagine" with loser pays laws, just like there is no need to play "imagine" with socialized medicine.
How has it worked in other countries? Do the jackboots of the "wealthy corporations" crush the people of Western Europe any more than they do here?

Death Roll

Super Anarchist

You may as well ban the sale of large sodas while your at it. Oh wait.... Somebody fucking tried that already. I hear instances of police brutality and innocent people harmed during high speed pursuits. Better add disbanding police departments to your list, because it just doesn't sound quite moronic enough yet.

And if you'll pardon me while I join BJ and Mark and muck up the works with some objective thought, pick up a copy of "Fast Food Nation" "The Jungle" and read the section on the meat packing industry. Were unions needed back in the 1904? Because in regard to working conditions, that's where that industry is right now.
Fixed.

Also, additional laundry list items:

- Too many fat chicks

- The clicking sound of people trimming their nails at work disturbs me

- The "clutch helper spring" on my car came off when the 2 cent plastic clip holding it failed. I have a replacement clip ($6) but I can't figure out how to compress the spring enough to get it back in place. It has no function other than to prevent engaging the cruise control without lifting the clutch with the edge of my foot.

- My right big toe has been troubling me for months

I don't have any solutions, or even generalized courses of action to fix these things, but by gum am I tired of them. Wake up America!1!

zzrider

Super Anarchist
New England
Forget this kind of laundry list of vague complaints, I'd be content with a two very clearly defined, unambiguous changes:

1) NO MORE STRUCTURAL DEFICIT SPENDING, period. That means no more increases to the debt ceiling. Federal government can only spend what it is capable of generating through current revenues.

2) THE FEDERAL RESERVE MUST STOP BLOWING BUBBLES. This means no more T-bill purchases through quantitative easing, which goes hand-in-hand with #1 above. Also means no more MBS purchases or any other form of artifical price support for any asset class whatsover. All this does is steal from the poor (through inflation) to give to the rich. After stopping the purchases, the Fed must immediately begin unwinding its balance sheet to deflate the bubbles it has blown. If the Federal Reserve is unable or unwilling to do this, revoke its charter.

Of course, I realize this is purely rhetorical and will never happen so long as our anesthetized populace continues to acquiesce to our our ruling political caste.

Latest posts