Top4

floater

Super Duper Anarchist
quivira regnum
Artemis - this team looks solid, scary, and ready to rumble.

TNZ - looking wobbly right now? I don't know, but certainly final four material.

LR - an early commitment should get them in.

BA, HI, and the French? Looks like BA may be the early starter, and lead candidate, of the three all vying for the final spot.

Thoughts?

bcopper

Super Anarchist
Artemis - this team looks solid, scary, and ready to rumble.

Artemis has a point to prove thanks to ET, and they are very capable and motivated to make it, more than most teams.

TNZ - looking wobbly right now? I don't know, but certainly final four material.

ET will continue to suffer issues from the spanking JS gave them in AC34 - in management and within the team. Fan support alone is insufficient to pull them around, and neither are skilled sailors down in the ranks. Leadership is the issue that continues to plague this team, and the reason they lost AC34.

LR - an early commitment should get them in.

Funny they talk of having a different agenda for AC35. Really ? How about an agenda period - maybe they have actually stopped sucking grumpys dick and will try to compete as an actual challenger for a change. After wasting $50M to follow ET around they should seriously consider standing up on their own two legs for a change if they can find their feet. I doubt they have what it takes to go the distance with this event - need to start with a qualified skipper.

BA, HI, and the French? Looks like BA may be the early starter, and lead candidate, of the three all vying for the final spot.

BA seems to have the best chance in this group - wish him well given the likes of the political Italians - the AC doesn't need more politics but stronger teams. BA is a likely and welcomed candidate. Would love to seem him pound ET and LR in the challenger series - he's quite capable.

Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:

maxmini

Super Anarchist
BA has recently received a unexpected bitch slap from the locals of his planned base of operations . With the funding issues already in play he did not need this .

Are we sure the will be four ?

dogwatch

Super Anarchist
South Coast, UK
BA has recently received a unexpected bitch slap from the locals of his planned base of operations .
Sorry but if you understood the British planning system, you'd realise that's nonsense. The chances of nobody objecting to a development like that is practically zero. The influence of residents' opinion on the planning process is also practically zero unless opinion can be related to planning policy. The key unanswered question is whether the BAR application receives the central government money for which BAR and Portsmouth City Council have applied. If the money can be found, I'll be mightily surprised if planning permission is not forthcoming - because Portsmouth City Council which is the planning authority is already (politically) in favour and because with exceptions which probably don't apply here, the presumption in the planning process is for permission to be granted. (I have a minor part in the planning process in southern England and some idea how it operates.)

SimonN

Super Anarchist
Sydney ex London
I am really surprised that some of you see LR as a possible finalist. For the amount of time they put in, they were poor last time around despite a reasonable sailing roster. I am also surprised to see some thinking that Team Australia will do well. The only way they will get into the final 4 is if there are only 4 challengers.

My order would be

Artemis

ETNZ

BAR

French (Cammas)

LR

Team Australia

dogwatch

Super Anarchist
South Coast, UK
^

Happy to be wrong but IMO Cammas won't raise the money. French economy is going bad to worse, anti-globalisation populism is on the rise, spending big money on a gaudy capitalism-tainted Cup is about the last thing sponsors are likely to want to do at this point.

Bill R

NZ
you think 4 teams are going to enter! with the protocol I am sure some will be seriously considering not entering.

Barnyb

Super Anarchist
New Zealand
I am really surprised that some of you see LR as a possible finalist. For the amount of time they put in, they were poor last time around despite a reasonable sailing roster. I am also surprised to see some thinking that Team Australia will do well. The only way they will get into the final 4 is if there are only 4 challengers.

My order would be

Artemis

ETNZ

BAR

French (Cammas)

LR

Team Australia

Agree about LR. They could come in at 4.

Do not agree about Artemis. They were very poor last time. Indeed you could say they were the worst team to ever compete in the AC.

BAR - good sailor but as an administrator? has yet to be proven.

Team Aust - can not see any strength there - but hey, maybe I am a Kiwi

French - will probably have some nice t-shirts

Alinghi - ah! they may well be the ones to beat.

WetHog

Super Anarchist
Annapolis, MD USA
LR is going to actually try this time. Their obligation as ETNZs B team is over. I hope the Adonis uniforms return.

All joking aside, so long as they all return, all 3 challengers from AC34 have legit chances to be the ultimate COR for AC35. Especially ART.

They have all built large foiling cats on their own, ok maybe not LR, and they have experience maintaining these boats, testing/tuning the boats and know how to fill out a crew for these boats. Valuable experience new comers like the Aussies don't have.

Wild card is Cammas. If he gets a team together I would put his team as a legit possibility for the final 4. His team could very well face OR when it's all said and done. The guy is one of the best sailors and campaigners of big multi's in the world and he had no problems transitioning to monos and winning the VOR on his first try. Impressive. I hope he gets a team together. He would make AC35 truly exciting by his participation alone, IMO.

And ART the worst challenger in the history of the Cup? Hardly.

WetHog

Strike3

Artemis

BAR

LR

And maybe Oracle B (in the guise of China)

That's it...

ETNZ already making noises about not possible commercially, French have zilch cash and many expect that Team Aus won't actually go the distance financially

It's too early to write challengers off due to perceived money problems.

The Kiwis will find the dosh. GD will work a few evenings to make that one work. That is what he does. They also a have huge design advantage over other challis. They now have a choice of drivers and Deano is not an automatic in. His history, especially as a youngster indicates that under REAL pressure, he cracks. He is a very capable driver and a real gentleman off the course, but when the chips are down real hard, he doesn't have the last 1% - 2% and that is where it counts at this level.

Based on history and experience NZ will be the challenger.

Final four NZ, Aussie, Artemis, BAR.

LR? Somehow doubt it.

Alinghi? Pretty good chance that his nibs will be back again. If so, he will most likely bump out Artemis of the Aussies.

I don't think that the French will find the money. Their best bet is to have it publicly funded and owned the same as Peugot and Citreon and go hit the EU for a paltry 100 mill. With enough Chocolate the Belgians will then put pressure on the Germans to front up with a few more billion in loans to prop up their sailing industry. Their major problem now is a recent government requirement that no one can work after either 5 or 6 at night. They seriously have far more important things to do … such as eating good french food and drinking excellent french wine.

Terry Hollis

Super Anarchist
I don't know why everyone writes off LR so readily .. If memory serves me correctly they have contested every LV final since they first started in the AC .. For AC34 they were a late entry with a super low budget and still contested the LV final .. As for Artemis .. how can you take them seriously ? .. they could not organize a team for the AC34 and now they are compelled to start from scratch again .. I would rank them with Australia .

Latest posts