Torrid Thursday - The Commentary

MR.CLEAN

Not here
Yesterday was a mess in more ways than one - fortunately, we had a hell of a time, both on and off the water. You guys seemed to enjoy our action - hell, even Jobson's video from yesterday shows me tossing a beer to our lovely SA tattoo model. While you didn't get to see the more intensive modeling that she did later, she and Mer were both good sports, as was Mel from Tastes Like Chicken. Doing their thing, the girls of SA always make life better.

Today we will have some racing. It may not be great, especially early, but the RCs have their work cut out for them to get some real stuff happening. I'm not sure whether they care even permitted under the SI to run 4 a day, but if they are, they should.

We posted a bunch of videos yesterday, but we're thinking that embedding them inside the posts is really slowing down the refresh screens. So we're going back to links, but we do have some excellent videos for you today.

Thursday's racing is sponsored by Torresen Marine of Muskegon, Michigan. I can't say enough about these guys, but they are long time friends of the Cleans, as well as long-time SA members - all of them! Fetzer 24 is one of the very early members of SA, and he's also known as one of the people who run Torresen. Brian is young and fun and an adrenaline junkie, and he's sailed pretty much everything known to humankind. This may be the first year that BT isn't in Key West in a decade, but with a new baby, it's understandable. He's watching though, like the crackhead we all are. He brings his credibility to this place, though - years with the Warpath program (and Torresen does this high-profile boat's bottom), years at the top end of the J/24 fleet, his own Melges 24...This year Brian has a new ride back on the lake, but I'll let him tell you about it later. The Cone may have some competition...

Torresen was the first company to jump on the SA live report sponsorship. THey didn't hesistate for a second, and for that, we love them. You should love them for the fact that they are offering 25% off of ALL RIGGING ORDERS to all Anarchists this week. Click the link above to find out more.

There are a few good rigging companies in the US, and Torresen is among the best. Give them a shot - save some big cash, and learn how this family-owned business from Lake Michigan can help you and your boat for years to come.

MR.CLEAN

Not here
Yesterday's upload got cut off, but this is an interview with the very impressive Brad Van Liew, talking about his rollover off Cape Horn, his Around Alone victory, Charleston Race Week, and more. It's around 20 minutes long, but he gives great information out. Thanks to Brad, and please check out Charleston Race Week - which, at the moment, is looking like a longer regatta than Key West 2008.

Here's the Interview.

Last edited by a moderator:

MR.CLEAN

Not here
Clean,
2 ft+ of snow on my deck this morning. Looking forward to 'watching' some racing today.
A bit foggy here, little early-morning inversion should burn off pretty quickly, then it's sun and light winds, increasing to maybe 11 if we're really lucky. I think we'll go to the PHRFers today first. Any specific requests?

BTW, I still don't have a winner for Ernesto's sign.

MR.CLEAN

Not here
Given that Torresen is a Midwestern institution, it's entirely appropriate that we've got a few great interviews with the folks from Melges Performance Sailboats as well as this one from Brian Porter, a real legend in the world of high performance sailing. He talks about his success in the Melges 24 as well as his failures, what it's like to watch your kids get better than you, and the Melges 20, due out very soon.

Thanks to Torresen Marine for the interview.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=72...96540&hl=en

Wash

Super Anarchist
Long Beach, CA
We are under AP until noon at the earliest---- we will be attempting to get a race in as late as 4pm today---- and are starting an hour earlier tomorrow (0930) to make sure we can get in 2 or 3 races tomorrow.

MR.CLEAN

Not here
More videos coming.

Wash - can you explain why the RC sent everyone in yesterday so early? We stayed out and went fishing, and after a short calm, the wind came in from 200 degrees at 6 knots and held by 1:30, at least on the East side. One high-ranking RC member who didn't want his name used said, "I don't see where the harm would have been to wait a bit longer."

As multiple commenters who are actually out there noted, in Annaplis, Santa Barbara, or Lake St. Clair the RC would have gotten a race in easily, at least on Div 3 and 4...

On the other hand, if y'all want to do some real racing with real seabreeze, come to Charleston on April 17th-20th. It's looking like we'll have more races than a week of Key West. http://www.charlestonraceweek.com

Last edited by a moderator:

Super Anarchist
Chicago
Thanks for the updates Clean and Co.

All of a sudden the steady 7-10 last year looks amazing even if the racing was a bit mundane.

Wash

Super Anarchist
Long Beach, CA
Calling it a day yesterday was a judgement call ---- The weather info and the weather experts on site (out on RC Boats) were very pessimistic about anything filling in that would have been a fair test. In the many years I have been down here when a day like yesterday occurs-- with no real promise of any breeze later-- more often than not after 90 - 120 minutes it is called a day and the sailors are sent in to have an afternoon off in Key West rather than bake in the sun for hours on end.

This year is of course very unusual as we had already lost Monday---- so what happened yesterday was put under a microscope--

Today-- with the weather looking like we can get a race in late and with breeze tomorrow for 2-3 races it will be a save for the week.

Bottom line--- the issue is absolute race quality over quantity-----

Jack-C&C25

It looks like we are under Ap till noon due to lack of propellent

According to a veteran RC member there was talk of not getting today off as well. When I asked what the mood was like he replied "Everybody (RC) is still here". I mentioned it looks like it'll pick up this afternoon and Friday he said "Everybody wants to go home"on friday.

MR.CLEAN

Not here
Calling it a day yesterday was a judgement call ---- The weather info and the weather experts on site (out on RC Boats) were very pessimistic about anything filling in that would have been a fair test. In the many years I have been down here when a day like yesterday occurs-- with no real promise of any breeze later-- more often than not after 90 - 120 minutes it is called a day and the sailors are sent in to have an afternoon off in Key West rather than bake in the sun for hours on end. This year is of course very unusual as we had already lost Monday---- so what happened yesterday was put under a microscope--

Today-- with the weather looking like we can get a race in late and with breeze tomorrow for 2-3 races it will be a save for the week.

Bottom line--- the issue is absolute race quality over quantity-----
Well, thanks for the honesty, Wash. I know it's an experienced bunch that are running things for Premiere, but from a light-air venue sailor's perspective, it didn't make a lot of sense. We're all used to waiting for hours for a breath of wind to get one off. I spoke to two top J/80 sailors and a bunch of top Melges 24 sailors, who all said they could have raced no problem when the abandonment was sounded - the Melgi were doing 4 knots upwind and down. They wondered if the presence of fatassed J/105s on the same course is what led to what, in their words, was a "stupid-ass decision." The other comment was "What the hell else do we have to do but sit out on the water? Did the shoreside vendors call in a chit with the RC or something?"

I think that's a bit off base, but you can certainly understand their frustration with being sent in so early.

paganskipper

Great stuff Clean- Since there was no racing to photograph it was a good call not to leave the cameras idle-very entertaining. Excellent job promoting Chas. Race Week too. Key West is always epic, but, aside from last year's gale on day 3, we always get more races in than yall are getting so far. Hope to see everybody up here in April.