Tortola to Virginia in March or April

born2sail

Super Anarchist
Looking for a little Caribbean and Right Coast knowledge.

We have a friend who wants to move a Lagoon 38 from the BVIs to the East Coast. The target ETA is anytime before April 28. Weather permitting, April Fools Day looks like a good time cast off. Is 7-10 days a reasonable window of time? I need to be back in PDX by 4/23 to function as the PRO for the spring series on the Columbia ;-)

Thoughts?

PS: Yep Razorback, that cat.

Innocent Bystander

Super Anarchist
Lower Southern MD
Looking for a little Caribbean and Right Coast knowledge.

We have a friend who wants to move a Lagoon 38 from the BVIs to the East Coast. The target ETA is anytime before April 28. Weather permitting, April Fools Day looks like a good time cast off. Is 7-10 days a reasonable window of time? I need to be back in PDX by 4/23 to function as the PRO for the spring series on the Columbia ;-)

Thoughts?

PS: Yep Razorback, that cat.
Where on the right coast?

10 days to the Chesapeake is reasonable but I'd make sure I had 2 weeks just in case. Only about 1300 NM. Rhumb line gets you far offshore pretty quickly but it's not too much additional distance to close the Ts&Cs a bit. Assuming it's an Ex Charter boat, I'd head DW to Saint Thomas or PR for a day ot two to sort out the systems before jumping off.

Spring weather can be "changeable" so watch out for the fast moving cold fronts that will whip up the GS with strong N-NW winds.

born2sail

Super Anarchist

10 days to the Chesapeake is reasonable but I'd make sure I had 2 weeks just in case. Only about 1300 NM. Rhumb line gets you far offshore pretty quickly but it's not too much additional distance to close the Ts&Cs a bit. Assuming it's an Ex Charter boat, I'd head DW to Saint Thomas or PR for a day ot two to sort out the systems before jumping off.

Spring weather can be "changeable" so watch out for the fast moving cold fronts that will whip up the GS with strong N-NW winds.
Thanks for the feedback, IB...

As of now, I think Charleston might be the destination port.

The cruising handbook says the best time for the trip offshore is late April to June, and via the Bahamas, December to May. The little I know about sailing the east coast, it is my understanding that the BVI to Norte' Americana trip is best done in the spring but before summer and the GS is ok as long as there are no northerlies in the forecast. I reckon the first two weeks in April is an OK window to aim for, eh?

And yes, the boat has been in charter out of Tortola. The owner sails the boat almost 2 months out of the year. The vessel is in great shape, with few bells and whistles that might cause trouble. If we are able to set off on or about 4/1, we'll have 3 weeks to get where we're going.

6 days would be an average of 9Kts so that's out. I cruise a Privilege 435 and 200 mile days are good ones that time of year/location.

We base passage times on 6knots average per week which is 1000 miles. That number has proved very reliable over 15k Caribbean miles.

Without a kite you will be running low and slow so my guess is 5Kts avg. or 11ish days.

String up a six gallon case of water through the handles per person to a float like a fender. Its cheap insurance at 10 bucks a case in the event you had an issue.

Sail Safe

Cheers

Use that water to wash the salt down when you reach port or give it to an outgoing sailor!

Last edited by a moderator:

Innocent Bystander

Super Anarchist
Lower Southern MD

Thanks for the feedback, IB...

As of now, I think Charleston might be the destination port.

The cruising handbook says the best time for the trip offshore is late April to June, and via the Bahamas, December to May. The little I know about sailing the east coast, it is my understanding that the BVI to Norte' Americana trip is best done in the spring but before summer and the GS is ok as long as there are no northerlies in the forecast. I reckon the first two weeks in April is an OK window to aim for, eh?

And yes, the boat has been in charter out of Tortola. The owner sails the boat almost 2 months out of the year. The vessel is in great shape, with few bells and whistles that might cause trouble. If we are able to set off on or about 4/1, we'll have 3 weeks to get where we're going.
I agree with the Spring trip rather than summer. Actual alignment of the right coast makes essentially all destinations up to the Chesapeake about the same distance (within about 50 miles) so head for your desired destination. Heading to Charlestown will make it deeper DW sailing so an assy in the luggage to fly from the windward bow might be a good thing for average speed.

Friends did the trip in a Ex Moorings Bene 50 a few years ago and had a ball. I bailed out after an inspection of the boat I was buying showed far too many systems problems to trust it without at least a partial refit before leaving.

Rex souds like he has relevent experience in a similar sized cat so prob has good advice.

kent_island_sailor

Super Anarchist
Kent Island!
Just a general note on pilot charts:

They are like the average temperature charts. On average, Annapolis is in the 40s in February. This year mainly 50s and 60s.

So don't count on averaged-out weather records from the last century or two being what YOU get.

Also, given a choice, I'd go for late April. Every day is one day more away from winter gales and hurricanes are still well off in the future. That said, the way things are going this year it might be summer by March B)

Last edited by a moderator:

Slim

Super Anarchist
New England
I did this trip (going to opposite way) on a Privilege 37, it took us 11 days from Hampton to Tortola. You might look at the Atlantic Cup to get an idea of times - they leave Tortola in early May, though many boats stop in Bermuda on the way.

Latest posts