Towing with a rental truck?

Most rental companies say not to tow anything except their trailers with their trucks.

If I break the rules and tow a small boat cross country what are the likely repercussions? Are they going to have me arrested? Setup me and take the truck leaving me stranded? Charge me huge fees? Not let me rent from them again? Bailiff whack his pee pee?

freewheelin

Anarchist
WLIS
At a minimum I would think you would be liable and outside of any insurance coverage were something to go wrong (malfunction, breakage, or worst of all accident).

Go to Enterprise Rental Truck. 

I have ZERO problems renting a diesel truck from them - done it several times.  And when I rent from them they know upfront that I will be towing  my trailer and what I am towing.  My trailer is 22' in length, two axles and holds my 4200 lb. 1941 Packard convertible sedan.  Price is very fair too.

ryley

Super Anarchist
Boston, MA
when I talked to UHAUL they knew I would be towing my own trailer and had no problem with it. This was 4 years ago though.

Firefly-DC

Beverly MA
U-Haul has no problem towing boats or other things if you tell them first.  I tow mine (2500 lb boat and trailer) twice a year locally with an F150.  if you are going long distance they may require a larger truck.  When towing from DC to MA they required that I use a 20ft truck to tow that distance.

get their insurance and no repercussions

Last edited by a moderator:

Laurent

Super Anarchist
Houston
Go to Enterprise Rental Truck. 

I have ZERO problems renting a diesel truck from them - done it several times.  And when I rent from them they know upfront that I will be towing  my trailer and what I am towing.  My trailer is 22' in length, two axles and holds my 4200 lb. 1941 Packard convertible sedan.  Price is very fair too.

I tried enterprise, they don't have any one way cross county trucks. Driving 3000 miles back to return the truck is not a likely choice.
We had good success with Enterprise as well; Texas (Houston) to Florida (Fort Myers) and back. We told them upfront we were going to tow a sailboat. But it was a return trip. We drove there "empty" and picked up our boat and trailer to drive back home. I do not know if they do it one way; I thought they did...

Marcjsmith

Super Anarchist
Washington DC
When I was looking at a boat in Florida,  uhaul was the only company with reasonable prices for a one way rental for towing.  It was 3/4 van chassis with a box, so no pickup, which mean for real crappy vision,  but it would have been a much better option than the ICW in February 

kent_island_sailor

Super Anarchist
Kent Island!
U-Haul has no problem towing boats or other things if you tell them first.  I tow mine (2500 lb boat and trailer) twice a year locally with an F150.  if you are going long distance they may require a larger truck.  When towing from DC to MA they required that I use a 20ft truck to tow that distance.

If you use a U-Haul box truck, get anything you can remove off the boat and stuff it inside the truck ;)

kent_island_sailor

Super Anarchist
Kent Island!
BravoBravo said:
Buy a capable truck and sell it afterwards 
Registration, insurance, sales tax, inspection, etc. - You will need to sell the truck for about 10% more than you bought it for to break even with this idea. On the Shore people buy the rustiest clapped-out POS trucks they can find and put either historic or farm tags on them. No inspection needed and no one knows if the brakes work, but if they work too well it probably would shred the dry-rotted tires :rolleyes:

*also note if U-Haul #1 dies in mid trip, you will keep going with U-Haul #2. Your own truck, not so much.

mcsailor0303

Anarchist
THE GORGE!
U-Haul worked great for our short distance towing a #9500 lb boat.  We had to go with the bigger truck for the towing capacity.  Heads up that the ball that is mounted to the bumper is a 2", so if you need to use the larger 2 5/16" you'll need to use the receiver which is off center.  It was a little weird, especially towing it across a narrow bridge... :wacko:

inneedofadvice

Super Anarchist
Sarnia

As a former uhaul dealer, there insurance is a scam. Notify your own insurance company and pay by credit card. 

shaggy

Super Anarchist
Co
Have you put it up for bids on uShip? It's certainly easier, and I would bet cheaper. The more time you have, the more the bids will come down.
Saw the prices coast to coast.  Was pretty reasonable...  Donno if I would want one of the dipshits on TV moving it for me though, but I digress...