TP 52 Cruiser

42 South

Anarchist
This boat came up in the thread about "$80K boats" some months ago.

J-Bird111 has now been bought for restoration as a cruiser/racer - for sale at $30,000 it obviously had just a few issues.

https://www.facebook.com/JBirdIII/

Have a look at their face book page, especially the videos about the soggy decks. Be interesting to see where this ends up. Great CORONA project for two.

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
For the money they will have to spend that was not a good choice.

I was talking to a TP52 owner at the fastener store a couple or three years ago. He had just bought a new carbon main for $47,000 USD. :eek:

Kind of puts that purchase price in perspective.

The Dark Knight

Super Anarchist
Brisvegas
I wondered what happened with that one.

Fucking Jesus. If someone paid $30,000 for that boat they paid $29,500 too much. What a mess.
When you consider how much they will have to spend, the extra $29,500 will probably not dent their budget so much. Also, who says they paid list price. Maybe the owner would have accepted $500 to see the end of it.

The Dark Knight

Super Anarchist
Brisvegas
TP 52 convertible

92705320_126497628991736_4776570985446899712_n.jpg

P_Wop

Super Anarchist
Bay Area, CA
This is a cool project. 

NOT to race, but fast daysailing and cruising. 

New deck, of course, and a bit of an interior, err...., but the plan's solid.  Lots of used TP52 sails out there going almost free.

P_Wop

Super Anarchist
Bay Area, CA
Jeepers, I sailed this thing as Flash on SF Bay, and some CA coastal races too.  Great boat.

However for cruising the skinny racing rudder might be a bit sketchy, as if you lose control of direction, you suddenly lose it big. 

You might need to rethink that.  It's not hard to layer a more forgiving section over the top of the skinny one.

Bowchow

Anarchist
Awesome. Can't wait to see how they progress. 

Reminds me of the guy in PSL who bought Ex Pegasus and is doing a pretty decent job of refitting her as a cruiser. 

Tyler Durden

Super Anarchist
I think this is great.  You couldn't make this boat properly competitive now, the rig can't take the new mainsails without a fair bit of work.   I remember being up the rig when this boat was still relevant, the halyard lock for the spins was a big tylaska stropped in to the mast; you had to go up there and manually attach the sail to the mast.  Really the first 5 TPs are a whole different class.

Icedtea

Super Anarchist
Am I right in saying that Samurai refit hasn't gone well at all in hindsight? 

In terms of refitting a TP52 to go cruising, I just hope whoever is taking this on knows that this is going to cost much more than buying a 50 foot fast cruiser off the shelf, much much more. 

I think this is great.  You couldn't make this boat properly competitive now, the rig can't take the new mainsails without a fair bit of work.   I remember being up the rig when this boat was still relevant, the halyard lock for the spins was a big tylaska stropped in to the mast; you had to go up there and manually attach the sail to the mast.  Really the first 5 TPs are a whole different class.

How do you mean? Did someone have to get hoisted up the mast to hoist the kite? 

Coolerking

LBC
Sail it upwind for a bit...perhaps...say... home from Cabo on that bottom and I can promise the term "cruising boat" will vanish before your eyes.

Cool project though...actually thought it was my old ride for a second..