TP 52 Cruiser

Jono

Super Anarchist
Pretty resourceful.

Nothing like planning the keel drop in the water. As distinct from all the unplanned ones we hear about........

Misbehavin'

Denmark
Pretty resourceful.

Nothing like planning the keel drop in the water. As distinct from all the unplanned ones we hear about........
It's because they weren't built to very rigorous maritime engineering standards, and not following the regulations governing the materials they can be made of.

Coolerking

LBC
We cored the decks with g10 tubing, pre drill, removed balsa a bit shot hi-sol in it and mounted backing plates with waxed up fasteners.

Then you pull it all apart , check fit with the hardware, shelve the parts until the paint is barely dry and then... as you are motoring to the start... you seal that shit but good....

At least that's how we did it with hull #2...

Those were great times...first thing we did was send it to Chi-town.

Raz'r

Super Anarchist
De Nile
We cored the decks with g10 tubing, pre drill, removed balsa a bit shot hi-sol in it and mounted backing plates with waxed up fasteners.

Then you pull it all apart , check fit with the hardware, shelve the parts until the paint is barely dry and then... as you are motoring to the start... you seal that shit but good....

At least that's how we did it with hull #2...

Those were great times...first thing we did was send it to Chi-town.
Sounds cool but it doesnt work if you don’t glass over the top of the tubes. I know because I had to replace all the core under the cabin top clutches and winches...

Jkdubz808

Megatron
Stuart, FL
I wonder if they plan on re-designing a shallower draft keel.  The 1st gen 52s are somewhere around what, 11-12 ft?  Won't be able to get into many places with that draft as a cruiser.  

I'm definitely following this.....

Raz'r

Super Anarchist
De Nile
I wonder if they plan on re-designing a shallower draft keel.  The 1st gen 52s are somewhere around what, 11-12 ft?  Won't be able to get into many places with that draft as a cruiser.  

I'm definitely following this.....
Yeah, I'm pretty F'ed at 9'.

Raz'r

Super Anarchist
De Nile
so they lasted how long?
I don’t know, I just know that 10 years on, the cabin tops were mush. I assume 10 years as that was the last major refurb. All the original stuff was fine.

the failure came at the top of the g10/surface glass layer interface. Without glass over the tops of the tubes, the tubes were free to wiggle a bit, breaking loose from the surface glass and letting water in

PITA

I think this is great.  You couldn't make this boat properly competitive now, the rig can't take the new mainsails without a fair bit of work.   I remember being up the rig when this boat was still relevant, the halyard lock for the spins was a big tylaska stropped in to the mast; you had to go up there and manually attach the sail to the mast.  Really the first 5 TPs are a whole different class.
Do the newer ones do this with the main?  After races at a local regatta in February, I saw blokes up the mast of the TP52s after races (they seem to be flavour of the month here), and got told they have a halyard lock...meant to be able to trip it from deck level, but doesn't always work??  I've never noticed this before.  But it's probably just that in normal races, they finish too far in front...

Do they need to go aloft for the hoist?  Or does it lock somehow without a body up there?

The Dark Knight

Super Anarchist
Brisvegas
Do the newer ones do this with the main?  After races at a local regatta in February, I saw blokes up the mast of the TP52s after races (they seem to be flavour of the month here), and got told they have a halyard lock...meant to be able to trip it from deck level, but doesn't always work??  I've never noticed this before.  But it's probably just that in normal races, they finish too far in front...

Do they need to go aloft for the hoist?  Or does it lock somehow without a body up there?

Misbehavin'

Denmark
Just stumbled upon this thread from januar, lol wtf:  https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f47/2001-tp52-buying-advice-229012.html

I have minimal experience but I have some newbie questions so that I can learn ...

2001 TP52
USD$20K
Requires new deck, sails, engine and respray.

https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for...s/tp-52/241708

1. What kind of costs would be involved to get it into average condition for local weekend casual sailing (ie no bluewater trips)?
Engine, say USD$20K?
Sails, say USD$10K?
Desk & respray cost? Any chance of DIY?

2. Could the TP52 shorthanded?

3. Could it get planing?

Left Shift

Super Anarchist
Seattle
What the fuk indeed!  But I'm lock-down bored so I took a run at it.

1. What kind of costs would be involved to get it into average condition for local weekend casual sailing (ie no bluewater trips)?
Engine plus sail drive, say USD$20K?  Say twice that. 
Sails, say USD$10200K?  Say $45K for a main, $20K - $30K for each jib (x 4) or spinnaker (x4).   Or try to buy them used from the Med Cup and then your looking at +/- $50K.  
Deck & respray cost? Any chance of DIYNew deck?  $100K or more, much more,  New deck paint, $20K, New hull paint, $20K, Bottom Job, $20K   DIY = LOL unless you own the boat yard.

2.  Short-handed?  Sure if you started all over with new deck layout, deck hardware and roller furling and reefing systems.  Typical TP52 setup needs 10 people to actually sail the boat well and 14 people to race it.  

3.  Planing?  Sure, if you had a decent crew and decent sails and decent hardware.  An easy 17 to nicely above 20+ knots in decent breeze and flat water all day long.  

4.  A TP52 in "Average Condition" means you would break about $500 worth of stuff every time you went sailing.  

The Dark Knight

Super Anarchist
Brisvegas
2.  Short-handed?  Sure if you started all over with new deck layout, deck hardware and roller furling and reefing systems.  Typical TP52 setup needs 10 people to actually sail the boat well and 14 people to race it.  
There was a father/daughter team who raced a TP52 in the recent RNI in NZ.

https://www.ssanz.co.nz/round-north-island-2020/kiakaha/

89290176_2897524743627202_1450691982375518208_o.jpg