Trail Cameras Again

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
Thanks. Got more deer yesterday plus lots of empty pics and one of a boat going by out in the creek, several hundred feet away. Seems the afternoon sun flashing off small wakes may be triggering it.  May have to relocate it to avoid the view of the creek. 
I failed to notice a blade of grass growing up tall in front of my camera once. Windy days ensued. Over a thousand pics of that damn thing.

Oh and my target is a large herd of elk that primarily moves around at night, frustrating the hell out of me. Might as well get some photos if I don't drop one this year.
My original camera had a red flash that was very visible to humans and animals. The one I have now has a flash in the infrared range that humans can't see and as far as I can tell animals can't either. They no longer look right at the camera anyway. Not sure how to tell you what to shop for. I just bought the newer version of the same camera I had previously purchased and two big changes were the invisible flash and the lack of noise. The invisible flash doesn't light the scene as well as the old one and has a smaller radius of light but I still like it better.

Steam Flyer

Sophisticated Yet Humble
Eastern NC
I went with far less expensive cameras, an Apeman 16mp $41 which is OK but not great. Meidase P20 18mp $55. Both take big memory cards, have relatively long range sensors and infrared, no visible flash, and relatively quick latch time. With slower latch times you get a lot of views of an animals butt as he exits the zone.

The Meidase case "see" an animal moving in the bushes 50 yards away but it also takes a lot of photos of wind

No idea how much better the $100 and up trail cameras are, these do great for me and I can put out more than twice as any of them.

- DSK

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
Several pics of the hawk that preys on my abundant squirrel population in the last few days. A couple on the ground and this blurry one of the hawk flying upward.

2021-01-04HawkBlur.jpg

F_L

Anarchist
Canyon Lake, TX
I got a cheap trail cam off Amazon a while back. It eats batteries like crazy so don't run it 24/7. I did set it out last month after finding a dead axis deer in the woods next door. I was just interested in what would visit the carcass.

Got a good deer selfie. This guy is a regular around the house. Between his legs is a fox munching on fresh venison.

IMAG0262.JPG

Innocent Bystander

Super Anarchist
Lower Southern MD
Well,

Got some pics of the beaver and a few of his friends.  The cat is a neighborhood cat that periodically drops y to piss mine off.  That daylight pic does show the tree he is on that the beaver took down 2 weeks or so ago and the trees in the foreground that he or is daddy beat up badly a couple of years ago.  Not shown are the other 4 or 5 6-8" diameter trees that came down before Christmas. The creek in the background starts rapid firing pics about 2:30 in the afternoon when the sun angle gets just right.    

Beaver.JPG

Cat.JPG

Fox.JPG

Possum.JPG

boomer

Super Anarchist
PNW
My wife started doing the trail cam thing several years ago. 

The old easement road to the former dam on the south side of our property is a freeway of animals at night time and during the daytime.

Sometimes she moves the camera over by the gardens, to see who's been nibbling on her vegetables at night.

tc1.jpg

tc2.jpg

tc2b.jpg

tc2c.jpg

tc2d.jpg

tc3.jpg

tc4.jpg

tc5.jpg

tc6.jpg

tc8.jpg

tc9.jpg

tc11.jpg

boomer

Super Anarchist
PNW
During the day, when the lower pasture isn't being used by livestock in the winter, the doe bring their young in as well as give birth and wean their young. When the doe hear coyotes in the spring when the grass has started to grow, they hide the newborns in the tall grass, jump the fences and draw the coyotes off on a chase, returning later in the day. Final image is partial image of the old place from the air - the road goes from behind the tree at the top of the triangle, down thru the trees towards the former hydro dam.

tc12.jpg

11484.jpeg

96100508_10217064641837390_1509646610445893632_o.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

boomer

Super Anarchist
PNW
Landing the drone one evening, I noticed a doe with twins above the upper pasture, seeing I had a bit of battery life took off for a quick shot.

The Mom was quite bold being protective of her young, but after a bit she had enough of the drone and butt checked her charges to follow her.

boomer

Super Anarchist
PNW
WE used to only have Anna's Hummingbirds winter, but since I retired the past eight or nine years Rufus Hummingbirds winter over, too.

No doubt about climate change. This short vid was in December a few years ago, during a rainfall.

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
Looks like the piggies are back.

2021-01-09BlackPig.jpg

They're not seen that often in daylight but this one was around just after dawn.

2021-01-13DawnPig.jpg

And a bobcat in the wee hours that same day.

2021-01-13Bobcat.jpg

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
Spring Gobbler season opens on March 6.  

People spend a lot of time and money to get a shot like that.
The camera is close enough to the house that if I happened to be on the porch with a gun and saw them, I could pick one off. Thing is, they're smart and skittish. I still haven't actually seen them myself and if I do, it'll be a glimpse as they disappear. In the video above, they were calmly walking north in the first few clips then making tracks the other way in the last one. I suspect one of my animals noticed them, or maybe I came out the door and didn't notice them. Anyway, I'd like to eat one but don't think I have the patience and skills to actually kill one so I haven't ever hunted them and won't start now.

Latest posts