Trail Cameras Again

Had to chase them from the rifle line when we shot a smallbore prone match this month. DSC06625.jpg

pbd

Super Anarchist
Ca
The camera is close enough to the house that if I happened to be on the porch with a gun and saw them, I could pick one off. Thing is, they're smart and skittish and have great eye sight. I still haven't actually seen them myself and if I do, it'll be a glimpse as they disappear. In the video above, they were calmly walking north in the first few clips then making tracks the other way in the last one. I suspect one of my animals noticed them, or maybe I came out the door and didn't notice them. Anyway, I'd like to eat one but don't think I have the patience and skills to actually kill one so I haven't ever hunted them and won't start now.
FIFY

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
I think people misunderestimate how smart birds are. Anyway, they're smart enough to avoid even being seen by me.

I enjoy seeing them and all the other critters on the camera. I see possums, coons,  and armadillos all the time on the camera but rarely see those in person either.

Mrleft8

Super Anarchist
Suwanee River
I think people misunderestimate how smart birds are. Anyway, they're smart enough to avoid even being seen by me.

I enjoy seeing them and all the other critters on the camera. I see possums, coons,  and armadillos all the time on the camera but rarely see those in person either.
I have a Guinea fowl. The last one left after raising a dozen last spring. His name is "Ellis".... As in "L" "S" Last Standing. He's pretty smart for a Punk rock chicken. He's learned to trust me, and lets me pet him on occasion. He chases the puppy, the cat, and any neighbor dogs that come in to the yard. He knows exactly when feeding time is, and where it is. So far he's been smart enough to avoid coyotes, or hawks, or owls. He roosts inside the garage at night, not out in the trees like the others did.

I won't say he's "smart" smart, but he has more brains than a Dog I've seen....

Grande Mastere Dreade

Snag's spellchecker
During the day, when the lower pasture isn't being used by livestock in the winter, the doe bring their young in as well as give birth and wean their young. When the doe hear coyotes in the spring when the grass has started to grow, they hide the newborns in the tall grass, jump the fences and draw the coyotes off on a chase, returning later in the day. Final image is partial image of the old place from the air - the road goes from behind the tree at the top of the triangle, down thru the trees towards the former hydro dam.

View attachment 419602
cool place booms...  but you need to add a 2000sqft shop somewhere on there..

boomer

Super Anarchist
PNW
cool place booms...  but you need to add a 2000sqft shop somewhere on there..
Have two shops in the house totaling 1400 sq. ft and a 24'x40' shop out of the pic in the trees, there are also two more structures, one behind the house and another for critters just out of the picture to the left of the stones lower right. Also have more equipment, tractors and mower then shown in the pic. My wife moving equipment with her newest compact tractor.

tractor1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
Still seeing the regular crowd around my camera, including the bobcat

2021-05-12BobcatTrlCam.jpg

And coyote

2021-05-14CoyoteTrlCam.jpg

But my neighbor told me he saw a panther wandering through his yard in daylight yesterday, so I moved the camera to that part of his yard. Many of us have seen panthers around here, including me many years ago, and I first bought my original trail camera hoping to get a shot of one. Still hoping!

Mrleft8

Super Anarchist
Suwanee River
Still seeing the regular crowd around my camera, including the bobcat

And coyote

But my neighbor told me he saw a panther wandering through his yard in daylight yesterday, so I moved the camera to that part of his yard. Many of us have seen panthers around here, including me many years ago, and I first bought my original trail camera hoping to get a shot of one. Still hoping!
I heard one (Panther), or at least I think it was one the other night, and the donkeys about a quarter mile away were braying up a storm...

I haven't seen a Florida Panther that I can verify yet, but the Catamount that I saw up in Vermont was majestic.

Just like an Elephant, or Dall Sheep, I can't imagine how anyone would want to kill one just because they could.

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
After a few days in my neighbor's yard, only got one of those short tailed panthers.

And even cropped in and "enhanced" by Photoshop it's a lousy pic.

MFDC1284cw.jpg

He has LOTS of bunnies over there, and a hawk that knows it.

MFDC1346cw.jpg

I got a pic of the hawk sitting on top of his outboard engine (just out of the cropped pic above to the right.) Then, an hour later, this pic of the hawk in flight:

MFDC1352cw.jpg

Can anyone recommend, to a trail cam novice, a Brand/Make/Model, etc. for critter/property monitoring in the mountains of W. North Carolina?  Have seen lots of the usual in that area, white tail, bobcat, turkey, racoon and even elk and black bear, but am always too slow with the cell phone cam to snap a decent picture as proof.   Thank you!!!

Can anyone recommend, to a trail cam novice, a Brand/Make/Model, etc. for critter/property monitoring in the mountains of W. North Carolina?  Have seen lots of the usual in that area, white tail, bobcat, turkey, racoon and even elk and black bear, but am always too slow with the cell phone cam to snap a decent picture as proof.   Thank you!!!
I can supplement yer Raccoon stock with fuckers who don't give a fuck

these fuckers will stare you down

you get plenty of time to charge yer fone and then get a pic of them Fucking-Up Shit

had one defiantly climb a next-door neighbor's fence and stare me down

I happened to have a truck/trailer parked with sum lumber in the back

I grabbed a 1" X 4" board about 6' long and walked to about 5' away from the fucker

fucker kept staring me down

Till out from Stage Right the end of the board (Flying flat) as hard as I could swing it

Connected with the Fuckers left as it made a Pleasant Sound of a SOLID Hit

Fucker landed on the ground with a UN-Cushend Thud

I went inside my house before the other 4 (they roll in a pack of 5) showed

didn't kill it Sadly and neighbors said they heard the THUD

was easy to tell that one from then on

As it would Stare ya Down

But kept glancing to the Left :lol: :rolleyes: :) ;)

Fat Point Jack

Super Anarchist
After a few days in my neighbor's yard, only got one of those short tailed panthers.

And even cropped in and "enhanced" by Photoshop it's a lousy pic.

He has LOTS of bunnies over there, and a hawk that knows it.

I got a pic of the hawk sitting on top of his outboard engine (just out of the cropped pic above to the right.) Then, an hour later, this pic of the hawk in flight:

I was hoping that some panther scat would be found in Mudrock Village.

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
Mine's a Moultrie. I looked on hunting forums several years ago and it seemed to be well-liked. When a branch smashed it in 2019, I bought the new version of the same model. I like it but really don't know what else is available. I like the one I have because it has three cameras covering 180 degrees but it might be possible to just buy three cameras for the same money. I don't know.

Latest posts