Trail Cameras Again

sailm8

Anarchist
bears.jpg

Grabbler

Grabbler
Caught on one of Grabs Jr's game cams last night...if this is what it looks like it hasn't "existed" in MS in the last 80-100 years according to Mississippi wildlife experts...for scale that's a knocked over corn feeder it's walking behind...

IMG_6415.jpg

valis

Super Anarchist
Friday Harbor, WA
Not even early am,  banker cat?
They show up all hours, day or night.  Mountain lions, too, but very seldom seen (once I did see a lion cub sitting on top of one of our fenceposts mid-day).  And coyotes, and the very occasional black bear.  This is western Sonoma County, a few miles from the ocean. 

Up in Friday Harbor, the biggest four-legged predator is the fox, but there have been bears who swim from island to island -- never seen one of those though.

This one isn't from a trailcam, but still a great video from San Juan Island:

16 minutes ago, valis said:

They show up all hours, day or night.  Mountain lions, too, but very seldom seen (once I did see a lion cub sitting on top of one of our fenceposts mid-day).  And coyotes, and the very occasional black bear.  This is western Sonoma County, a few miles from the ocean. 

Up in Friday Harbor, the biggest four-legged predator is the fox, but there have been bears who swim from island to island -- never seen one of those though.

This one isn't from a trailcam, but still a great video from San Juan Island:

in regards to Island to Island travelers

snakes LOVE to Swim

don't know if salt water makes any difference

a swimming snake in the ocean is likely lower on the food chain

wonder about Birds or Prey plucking a rattler

guess it just another thing to eat no matter where

would have to taste better with sum salt fursure

Last edited by a moderator:

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
More of the same cast of characters on my camera lately but no pics good enough to keep.

A guy who lives down the street posted this shot from his cam on FB though:

SandhillsGator.jpg

I have Sandhills and occasionally gators in my yard too but never got either on the camera, let alone both walking together.

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
Lots of the usual critters on the trail camera last month. Coons and squirrels and my cats and dogs and armadillos and such. One bobcat, a male this time. NOT present in over 400 pictures: any picture of a rabbit in daylight. I saw only a few, all at night, and those looked scared.

The rabbit population waxes and wanes and bobcats come and go, but there are always rabbits and always in daylight as well as dark.

A pair of barred owls is nesting next door. I think I know why there are no bunnies.

I mentioned in the dog thread that my wife tossed a tennis ball for my dog and one of the owls chased the ball, really pissing off my dog.

Yesterday, my neighbor said that he heard a really loud bird fight and he suspected that the owls got a turkey. Probably the turkey in this video.

https://player.vimeo.com/video/684191620?h=5a0d059e2b&app_id=122963

I think that otter has a den next door too. It was in the pond yesterday morning but not interested in playing with dogs. Pretty sure I saw it leaving yesterday evening. It's probably out there right now fishing for its young. I'll go let the chickens out and find out.

These are the owls after they almost, but not quite, killed a baby coon the other day.

TwoOwls.jpg

valis

Super Anarchist
Friday Harbor, WA
One of my kids lives in southern Oregon, in the Klamath Mountain foothills.  A few days ago he caught a Fisher (similar to a weasel) on camera:

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
The otter is still dropping by the pond for breakfast but I haven't seen it in person again.

2022-03-16Otter.jpg

The owls are still around and seem to have eliminated the bunnies and started on the squirrels. I see them all the time. Yesterday they were both on the ground right where I had my game camera pointed, until I moved it.

I moved it to a spot I thought they were more likely to be hunting but only got a hawk pic.

2022-03-16Hawk.jpg

And in non-trail cam news, I was rooting around in the pile of old power poles and found some large steel beams so now I plan to make a bridge out of them. I'll make concrete and steel buttresses for the ends to hold the beams vertical.

SteelBridgeBeams.jpg

They're 6" by 3" galvanized boxes with 1/4" thick side walls. My guess is that my golf cart can't bend them enough to matter. My engineer friend (the Cowmaran guy) said it should bend about an inch if the entire weight of the cart were somehow concentrated in the middle. I'm going to put that much water in barrels in the middle and see if he's right before trying it with the cart.

valis

Super Anarchist
Friday Harbor, WA
And in non-trail cam news, I was rooting around in the pile of old power poles and found some large steel beams so now I plan to make a bridge out of them. I'll make concrete and steel buttresses for the ends to hold the beams vertical.

They're 6" by 3" galvanized boxes with 1/4" thick side walls. My guess is that my golf cart can't bend them enough to matter. My engineer friend (the Cowmaran guy) said it should bend about an inch if the entire weight of the cart were somehow concentrated in the middle. I'm going to put that much water in barrels in the middle and see if he's right before trying it with the cart.
Here's a beam deflection calculator you might try: try:https://www.easycalculation.com/engineering/mechanical/deflection-hollow-rectangular-beams.php

If I plug in a 12-foot span (?), your 3" x 6" beams oriented with the 6" side vertical, and 200 lbs center-load (I assumed 400 lbs total weight, split between two beams), I get a 0.34" deflection.  If you lay the beams with the 6" side facing down then the deflection is about one inch.  Plug in your actual numbers and see what you get.  And then test with the barrels first!

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
Here's a beam deflection calculator you might try: try:https://www.easycalculation.com/engineering/mechanical/deflection-hollow-rectangular-beams.php

If I plug in a 12-foot span (?), your 3" x 6" beams oriented with the 6" side vertical, and 200 lbs center-load (I assumed 400 lbs total weight, split between two beams), I get a 0.34" deflection.  If you lay the beams with the 6" side facing down then the deflection is about one inch.  Plug in your actual numbers and see what you get.  And then test with the barrels first!
Thanks. The span is about 25 feet, more or less depending on where I put the buttresses. Those are 35 foot beams. I want to drive this over it:

TomBugDec2021.jpg

Weighs about 1,700 empty, so figure 2,500 with four 200 lb people. You don't expect the people to get out and walk across, do you? ;)

Fat Point Jack

Super Anarchist
Screw the math.  Use the primary theorem of the Bryan Lukas School of Engineering, It don't look strong enough, let's add a bigger piece of metal. 

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
Screw the math.  Use the primary theorem of the Bryan Lukas School of Engineering, It don't look strong enough, let's add a bigger piece of metal. 
I'm pretty sure I'm not using that thing right. I just walked out onto the middle of one beam. It sagged maybe an inch. The calculator says it should have been 0.0004 inches. I didn't have a good way to measure but it was a lot more than that.