Trail Cameras Again

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
I'm not a Mech E. either but just eyeballing your setup and guessing at the load, it looks like the deflection should be around 6" max.

View attachment 505406
It's going to be turned the other way.

But we'll find out the real answer soon enough. Once it has a deck, I'm going to fill barrels of water out on the middle of the bridge. I'll have a transit set up to measure how much it dips.

Anyway, you would need a significant arch to make a difference in your case.
I think he was looking for an aesthetic difference and a shallow arch would look nicer than my flat thing. I don't much care, just want to drive across. Someone had suggested plopping a shipping container across the gap and cutting out an end. Instant covered bridge! I liked the idea but my wife immediately vetoed it.

valis

Super Anarchist
Friday Harbor, WA
In a rural development where I used to live there was an old single-lane bridge across a narrow/steep creek, set on crib footings made of redwood logs on either bank and filled with boulders / dirt.  This was a serious bridge, needing to carry big trucks, cement mixers, etc.  After *many* decades, the footings were settling and the girders badly rusting.  The property owners assoc (I was prez at the time) hired an engineer and the final permitted design used poured concrete footings and two side-by-side railroad flatcars.  We (me and other volunteers) planked over the flatcar beds and we ended up with a very solid design.

I guess that would be overkill for your bridge though!

[note: the only reason to join a HOA/POA board is to keep someone even worse off it]

Fah Kiew Tu

Curmudgeon, First Rank
Tasmania, Australia
[note: the only reason to join a HOA/POA board is to keep someone even worse off it]
That's the logic I used to use as to why I sat on the work OH&S committee. We'd have injuries at sea usually due to carelessness/stupidity and then they'd want to do something REALLY stupid to ameliorate the risk. Like replacing heavy steel watertight doors opening on to the trawl deck with something lightweight so people didn't get their fingers crushed. I had to point out that getting the ship full of water was a bigger problem.

FKT

Mrleft8

Super Anarchist
Suwanee River
It's going to be turned the other way.

But we'll find out the real answer soon enough. Once it has a deck, I'm going to fill barrels of water out on the middle of the bridge. I'll have a transit set up to measure how much it dips.

I think he was looking for an aesthetic difference and a shallow arch would look nicer than my flat thing. I don't much care, just want to drive across. Someone had suggested plopping a shipping container across the gap and cutting out an end. Instant covered bridge! I liked the idea but my wife immediately vetoed it.
Aesthetics indeed.

BUT Now that you mention water barrels..... Why not plop a couple of those under the center of the span (Not filled with water, but rather filled with air, and plugged) to keep the sag from happening, and possibly even create a slight aesthetic arch.....

My NC mountain house a couple weeks ago. This wood pile is about 20ft from the house. We get numerous deer walking by almost daily.

1E03B222-F547-4FFF-9297-29C5171E0AE2.jpeg

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
Aesthetics indeed.

BUT Now that you mention water barrels..... Why not plop a couple of those under the center of the span (Not filled with water, but rather filled with air, and plugged) to keep the sag from happening, and possibly even create a slight aesthetic arch.....
I hope that's not needed but it has been discussed. The main issue is that it's already single-file only for swimmers going into and out of the spring. I don't want a big barrel in the way. A cement piling would be a more likely choice, but I'm still hoping it will just work as is.

Mrleft8

Super Anarchist
Suwanee River
I hope that's not needed but it has been discussed. The main issue is that it's already single-file only for swimmers going into and out of the spring. I don't want a big barrel in the way. A cement piling would be a more likely choice, but I'm still hoping it will just work as is.
What does the Army corps of engineers think of your bridge project? :D ;)

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
What does the Army corps of engineers think of your bridge project? :D ;)
The closest I've got is my neighbor who used to run the building permitting bureaucracy in the next county South. He knows a thing or two about engineering and plans. He thinks I'm building a foot bridge that will never carry a cart. We'll see...

Mike in Seattle

Super Anarchist
Latte land
I assume not.  Apparently bobcats are solitary animals and generally respect each other's range (although females are more tolerant of range overlap).
Granted differences in lighting, and way more spots than I can count re/ "pair?" comment. 

" although females are more tolerant of range overlap"

It's springtime,, ( but I make no claim of being a biologist  ;) )

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
The neighbor boys were building my bridge in the rain yesterday. They didn't quite get done but probably will today. 4 of us, weighing over 700 lbs, stood in the middle and it sagged less than an inch. When we jumped around it was a bit springy. Their dad came by and drove my old golf cart out onto the bridge but his wife was with him and objected loudly so he backed off. They're big people and that cart weighs about 1,200 lbs with them both aboard. So preliminary tests indicate that it might carry my golf cart. Or maybe not. We didn't want to get the transit out in the rain to actually measure how much it's moving.

BridgeBuilding2022.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
I remember seeing pictures of your spring in the past.... It truly is a beautiful little pool of water.
Thanks, it is one of the better looking environmental disasters I have seen. But, as mentioned in the WOTUS thread, it is a minor disaster.

The spring that feeds my pond is one or the other of those and is considered a minor ecological disaster. One of many. See pg 167 of this report for a map of most of the known ones.

https://www.charlottecountyfl.gov/boards-committees/pz/Site Documents/5_PA121014LS_Application_Attachment2_GroundwaterBasinResource.pdf
They try to plug these old, runaway wells. In addition to mixing layers of water that shouldn't really be mixed, mine throws 50 gallons a minute into the Gulf of Mexico. Fortunately for me, mine has been declared an Act of God and is not a plugging target any more.

The other end of the system isn't as pretty but is amusing if you have a teenage boy sense of humor. Turn your sound on and make sure you're alone, then play.

DarthSailor

Super Anarchist
More of the same cast of characters on my camera lately but no pics good enough to keep.

A guy who lives down the street posted this shot from his cam on FB though:

I have Sandhills and occasionally gators in my yard too but never got either on the camera, let alone both walking together.
We get these in the backyard in the summer, the sandhills not the gator. My 130 pound dog and these guys just look at each other thinking 'it's not worth the effort' 

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
We get these in the backyard in the summer, the sandhills not the gator. My 130 pound dog and these guys just look at each other thinking 'it's not worth the effort' 
My 80 lb dog is 13 but somehow still has the energy and mobility to chase anything airborne. And to dig up my yard. She has one working leg at this point but still digs like a backhoe.

Unfortunately, she and our other dog ignore otters. It was a lot more fun when I had dogs that would chase them. The otters loved it. One once played with Luke the Cowdog for hours. My wife, knowing that cowdogs don't know how to quit, decided it was time to bring him in. That otter came out of the pond onto the grass and started barking at the sliding glass door, wanting his buddy back.

Yesterday three of them were playing in the pond and then decided to lounge on the mangrove roots. Luke never would have allowed this.

MangroveOtters.jpg

But that wasn't the BIG EVENT yesterday. This was.

TomBugJCRBridge.jpg

Yes, my old dog still has to follow me everywhere. The steel beams were strong enough, but a bit too springy, without pilings in the center of the span.

The artesian spring looks like this from the bridge. I've wanted to see this for 30 years.

SpringJCRBridge.jpg

Oh, and there was nothing interesting on the trail camera.

DarthSailor

Super Anarchist
My 80 lb dog is 13 but somehow still has the energy and mobility to chase anything airborne. And to dig up my yard. She has one working leg at this point but still digs like a backhoe.

Unfortunately, she and our other dog ignore otters. It was a lot more fun when I had dogs that would chase them. The otters loved it. One once played with Luke the Cowdog for hours. My wife, knowing that cowdogs don't know how to quit, decided it was time to bring him in. That otter came out of the pond onto the grass and started barking at the sliding glass door, wanting his buddy back.

Yesterday three of them were playing in the pond and then decided to lounge on the mangrove roots. Luke never would have allowed this.

But that wasn't the BIG EVENT yesterday. This was.

Yes, my old dog still has to follow me everywhere. The steel beams were strong enough, but a bit too springy, without pilings in the center of the span.

The artesian spring looks like this from the bridge. I've wanted to see this for 30 years.

Oh, and there was nothing interesting on the trail camera.
Congrats on the bridge, I was wondering if pilings would help when reading your prior posts. Also my dogs don't chase birds unless they get in our yard but if one of these shows up it's on. I have had to rescue one of them from the pond after he broke through the ice chasing one and decided that death could take him. The pond is like a foot deep but I think the cold kind of took him by surprise, so he just stood there. I fortunately had waders.

Muskrat-Isabelle-Marozzo.jpg

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
Congrats on the bridge, I was wondering if pilings would help when reading your prior posts.
I didn't want anything in the way of swimmers so was reluctant but it just didn't seem strong enough so we changed the design. They're really not much in the way of pilings, just pieces of the same rough cut 2x6's used for the deck. Jetted in place with a hose, then we used ratchet straps to bend the bridge upward just a bit before installing bolts. When it's warmer and doctors say i can swim again I'm going to wrap them in rubber piling wraps.

It feels solid when you jump on it or drive the cart on it. Also, it's now possible to dive from the bridge into the sand. That sand is more liquid than solid and you can swim right through it. No light gets through it, so crashing through the sand with goggles is kind of an interesting experience. It's also a bad idea. I once had a doctor tell me, "Your ears are self-cleaning, don't stick anything smaller than your elbow in there!" Yeah. Not if you dive through sand.

But some 200 pound plus person is not going to listen to that last part and is going to take that dive and the side load on the structure will be... something I hadn't considered in the design. But the pilings should help.

Glad you were nearby to save the dog. I worry about Libby because she still goes in the pond but it's not so easy to get back out with one working leg. In her head, she's still this 3 year old.

libby-midair-MEF2012.jpg

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
This bobcat was very close to my camera the other day. It was 7:17 and sunset is after 8 this time of year, but it's a shady area and the camera had already switched to night/IR mode.

The bobcat alerts to something and then walks off in that direction. That little structure in the distance is my chicken tractor. Still haven't ever had a bobcat figure out how to get them.

About ten minutes later, the camera took a pic of me driving by, so I just missed seeing it in person.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
I didn't want anything in the way of swimmers so was reluctant but it just didn't seem strong enough so we changed the design. They're really not much in the way of pilings, just pieces of the same rough cut 2x6's used for the deck. Jetted in place with a hose, then we used ratchet straps to bend the bridge upward just a bit before installing bolts. When it's warmer and doctors say i can swim again I'm going to wrap them in rubber piling wraps.
I abandoned the piling wrap plan.

I slit some PVC pipes and wrapped them around the pond bridge pilings then scooped them full of concrete. The PVC is shoved down into the bottom a bit and extends a few inches above the surface.

PilingConcrete.jpg

The pipe pieces were just held together with a ratchet strap so some concrete dust came out the cracks and made a foggy flow as it joined the cool spring water that flows in a river down into the bottom of the pond.

ConcreteFlow.jpg