Trail Cameras Again

F_L

Anarchist
Canyon Lake, TX
Glad the cat is OK.

You do have some some interesting critters. That big cat could be a cougar. From another website on cougar vs bocat.

Their size distinction is clearly recognizable in their tails, as the cougar can have a 2.5- to 3.5-foot tail, while the bobcat has just a 6-inch tail. The bobcat is named for its short tail, which appears bobbed.

In your pic part of the tail is behind the tree but I think I see part of the tail up high. Either way cool pic. I saw a cougar in the wild while hunting a few years ago. Quite thrilling until walking back after sunset the same direction the cat was going.

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
Lots of opinions on what kind of cat that is. I still think it's a bobcat and a big one.

My wife had an interesting thought. Paste the housecat pic onto the other one and then delete everything but the kitty from that layer.

This is what it looks like at about half the original sizes of the images.

BeastAndBobcat.jpg

dfw_sailor

Super Anarchist
DFW
I guess it was boring last time but I'm still interested.

My 2013 camera died a couple of years ago.

We got some chickens and it renewed my interest in what kinds of critters might be wandering around in the yard. I got the new version of my old one and it's better.

The old one made panoramic shots but did it by rotating a single camera on a somewhat noisy carriage. This one has three cameras. The old one had a red flash that was very visible to a human. I could not detect the flash on this one. Image quality is better.

It got a daylight shot of me putting mulch on a Persimmon tree.

Our grey tabby came by about 8:30 last night and again about 5:30 this morning.

There was a coon around 2 am, shown in the lower left.

What's that light? I don't know. My neighbor Rick lives in that direction but the daylight shot shows how well you can see his house.

The weird part is that the pic above was taken right after this one:

Da fuck???

I can't explain it. Maybe coons have started carrying headlamps?
Tom, that is most likely an insect / moth flying close to the lense, with infra red bounce back. We get it a lot on our work security cameras.

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
Tom, that is most likely an insect / moth flying close to the lense, with infra red bounce back. We get it a lot on our work security cameras.
That would explain some of the lights. Others must be something else but there can't be that many unexplained little flashlights wandering around out there at night so have to be the flash bouncing off something I guess.

dacapo

Super Anarchist
NY
Lots of opinions on what kind of cat that is. I still think it's a bobcat and a big one.

My wife had an interesting thought. Paste the housecat pic onto the other one and then delete everything but the kitty from that layer.

This is what it looks like at about half the original sizes of the images.

the tail is too long for a bobcat and the head is off as well.  Cougar...small one

Snaggletooth

Morrelle Compasse
the tail is too long for a bobcat and the head is off as well.  Cougar...small one
Caulle in DaWoodeye, hese the exsperte Cougarologiste!                                                    :)

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
Lots of people have said that but bobcat tails vary in length and do get as long as the one in the pic.

I still think it's a bobcat and probably the one I got a pic of night before last. No question about that one. Panthers have dark ears. Bobcats have white tips.

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
The chickens have started living outside in their coop. At 2 am yesterday, my dogs started raising hell. The motion-activated spotlight near the coop lit up.

I got up but saw nothing.

Possibly related, half an hour later, this:

BobcatEyes.jpg

and

BobcatStrolling.jpg

There are five more pics of the bobcat slowly strolling away so I'm now pretty sure that it can't see the flash nor hear the camera.

El Borracho

Sam’s friend
Pacific Rim
A couger tail is oddly long. And thick with a brush at the end. No mistaking it. I call that a bobcat.

When we had chickens in the wilderness it was the foxes. They sneak in without the dogs noticing. But worse they are smart. The chickens, of course, panic and leave the safety of the coop. A fox on one side of the pen scares the idiots to run against the opposite fence. A fox waiting there pulls their yummy bits thru the wire. Leaves rather a big mess. Dogs show up too late. Good fun but no eggs.

Double fence works, but the supermarket does too....

Last edited by a moderator:

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
A couger tail is oddly long. And thick with a brush at the end. No mistaking it. I call that a bobcat.

When we had chickens in the wilderness it was the foxes. They sneak in without the dogs noticing. But worse they are smart. The chickens, of course, panic and leave the safety of the coop. A fox on one side of the pen scares the idiots to run against the opposite fence. A fox waiting there pulls their yummy bits thru the wire. Leaves rather a big mess. Dogs show up too late. Good fun but no eggs.

Double fence works, but the supermarket does too....
I still have people on Facebook, including some I thought would know better, telling me it's a cougar. We call them panthers here.

I just find it funny at this point.

Our chickens spend the night inside their Eglu coop.

eglu.jpg

Word on backyard chicken forums and FB groups is that no one has yet lost a chicken that was inside one of these to predation.

It's double-layer rotomolded plastic bolted together on the inside.

I'm pretty sure that bobcat could dismantle that box, but only if willing to do so under the glare of outdoor spots with dogs barking just inside a door. And me probably approaching quickly from the bedroom.

So a really stupid bobcat that would not have long to live.

I hope this one isn't that stupid. I like bobcats.