Trail Cameras Again

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
My trail camera took about 1,500 pictures of that blade of grass yesterday. Scrolling through them all took a while.

It looks like my cat was hunting for baby bunnies again. He didn't show up for dinner last night, apparently preferring free range, non-GMO bunnies. The property is pretty overrun with them at the moment so it works for me.

GrassBeastWabbit.jpg

pbd

Super Anarchist
Ca
My trail camera took about 1,500 pictures of that blade of grass yesterday. Scrolling through them all took a while.

It looks like my cat was hunting for baby bunnies again. He didn't show up for dinner last night, apparently preferring free range, non-GMO bunnies. The property is pretty overrun with them at the moment so it works for me.

I hope the hunter doesn’t become the hunted. 

Mrleft8

Super Anarchist
Suwanee River
The chickens have started living outside in their coop. At 2 am yesterday, my dogs started raising hell. The motion-activated spotlight near the coop lit up.

I got up but saw nothing.

Possibly related, half an hour later, this:

and

There are five more pics of the bobcat slowly strolling away so I'm now pretty sure that it can't see the flash nor hear the camera.
That's no Bobcat. That there's yer Florida "Painter".....

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
DaytimeCoon.jpg

Got several pics of that coon as it took a lap around the run looking for weaknesses.

It didn't find any, as we still have four chickens.

2 pm is a weird time for a coon to be out foraging. I get shots of them at night most every night but very rarely in daylight. Especially when the temp in the shade is 90.

El Borracho

Sam’s friend
Pacific Rim
That looks quite secure. Your true test will be when the foxes show up. Maybe they will dig under the wire and extrude them thru the mesh? Our chickens run around the yard free day and night because the locals long ago ate all the predators (Philippines). I guess they sleep in a tree or somewhere. Lay their eggs on a pillow in a basket that wifey puts outside. Not even sure they're our chickens as they just kinda showed up. Kinda hilarious.

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
That looks quite secure. Your true test will be when the foxes show up. Maybe they will dig under the wire and extrude them thru the mesh? Our chickens run around the yard free day and night because the locals long ago ate all the predators (Philippines). I guess they sleep in a tree or somewhere. Lay their eggs on a pillow in a basket that wifey puts outside. Not even sure they're our chickens as they just kinda showed up. Kinda hilarious.
There's a wire skirt that lays flat on the ground, shown best in post 33 above. Foxes are here but rare and shy, almost never seen in daylight. The birds are in the coop at night, so probably safe from foxes.

We do have Tegu lizards and Nile Monitors in this area. Both seem like critters that could dig/force their way under the edges.

I'm not sure if rattlesnakes eat chickens but I'm pretty sure that was a big rattlesnake that the hawk was carrying away in post 6 above. I'd bet a snake could squeeze under. Not so sure it could eat a chicken because they're getting pretty big. I guess if one did, I'd probably capture a really fat snake that could not squeeze back out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
Hey Tom,

Maybe I missed it but what is the camera you have installed?

Might do the same in the Blue Mountains (NSW Australia).
I thought they did a pretty good job of stamping manufacturer and model onto the images along with info one might want to know like time, date, temperature and (for some reason) barometric pressure.

It's a Moultrie 810. Has three cameras and can stitch together a panoramic photo from them if you want it to do that.

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
This bobcat looks quite a bit smaller than the one captured previously by my trail camera. That PVC pipe in the background stands 18" tall and is noticeably taller than the cat.

MFDC8592.jpg

Looks smaller than the one posted last April and appears to have a shorter tail too. A cropped in view:

2019-06-24bobcat-zoom.jpg

The chicken coop is just out of the pic to the right, where the bobcat is headed. All present this morning.

jocal505

moderate, informed, ex-gunowner
near Seattle, Wa
W What?  Ist theire sucha thinge?   (as a proper red-neck)                                          :)
Probably not, if the redneck does daily race-baiting in 2019.  Tom Ray has a five-year record of race-baiting on PA. He uses a half-dozen approaches to it.

Other red-necks may be okay, depending, but this crosses the line, IMO.

jocal505

moderate, informed, ex-gunowner
near Seattle, Wa
Yo dogballs, you are changing the ecology, while acting in ignorance. Consult your local game control officer for an education, before you lose a dog. Seriously.

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
Probably not, if the redneck does daily race-baiting in 2019.  Tom Ray has a five-year record of race-baiting on PA. He uses a half-dozen approaches to it.

Other red-necks may be okay, depending, but this crosses the line, IMO.
No, there's only one approach, quoting jocal, and I keep it in Political Anarchy.

Yo dogballs, you are changing the ecology, while acting in ignorance. Consult your local game control officer for an education, before you lose a dog. Seriously.
Yo, Joe, go back to PA with your bullshit.