Trailer bunks - padding suggestions?

WCB

Super Anarchist
Park City, UT
Did a search and didn't find anything that helped.

I'm converting the Melges 24 trailer from the old style to new style bunks thanks to a generous gift by @Irish River The bunks have a firm carpet type padding on them and I'm thinking about peeling that off and going fresh and new.  Any suggestions on what to use?  I've bought so much from Melges in the past few months I'm sure I could ask them too but figured I'd ask the other sailors here first.  

Irish River

Super Anarchist
BC
Hey, glad you had fun in crw.

lots of stuff works. We have used foam from camping pads, it works well, but does compress over time. Hydroturf, seadek, raptor, all good stuff too. Talk with Dan K at Raptor, a site advertiser.

WCB

Super Anarchist
Park City, UT
Hey, glad you had fun in crw.

lots of stuff works. We have used foam from camping pads, it works well, but does compress over time. Hydroturf, seadek, raptor, all good stuff too. Talk with Dan K at Raptor, a site advertiser.
Thanks Irish River.  Yes, fun at CRW, huge learning curve.  Now I'm back to boat work getting the boat ready for more.  I just cleaned up the bunks you gave me and I'll do a little more touch up this week before floating the boat off and mounting them.  

So no concern with the Raptor Deck holding moisture and creating any blisters?

wpbeardsley

I've converted my Viper 640 trailer bunks from basic carpeting to 3M Nomad 6050 - much better drainage, seems better for the hull to avoid too much moisture interacting with the gelcoat.  

WCB

Super Anarchist
Park City, UT
I've converted my Viper 640 trailer bunks from basic carpeting to 3M Nomad 6050 - much better drainage, seems better for the hull to avoid too much moisture interacting with the gelcoat.  
Thanks @wpbeardsley I'll check it out.  I was talking with Dan at Raptor Deck and that seems like a good option too.

Varan

Super Anarchist
Hydroturf diamond pattern in grey. Nuff said... it's April (4) 20 afterall.

Steveromagnino

Super Anarchist
not sure if it is available where you are, but we found the stuff they make jandals in a thick 2cm depth with a small pattern (or as Aussies call them, thongs or flip flops or whatever weird language and accent they use over there) glued down worked a treat; usually UV resistant and pretty hard wearing, also slippery to pull the boat up, yet a little sticky when dry so boat didn't slide around too much, didn't shed or peel off or discolour the boat. Available in some funky colours and virtually free over here (often the discards come in 6ft sheets, and would have a small void, bubble or color imperfection, fine for a trailer, but less fine for senor Enrico Sauve bowman rockstar strutting in with millenial $200 USD jandals wearing his TP52 team shirt at the regatta after party and drinking some pretentious beer with something stupid shoved down the spout like a lime).

EVA in high density around 100 also ok, but the more standard stuff around 60 could be a little soft and tended to tear a bit espcially the stuff with a cut into pattern (as opposed to extruded pattern).

Depends what is available locally I guess.  M24 is a lot heavier that our boats (Shaw 650) but a fair bit of that is in the keel, would presume it should still be ok.  At least on some trailers worth it to add a pad around the nose of the trailer for steep slope ramps so the knuckle didn't clip the trailer bobbing around in waves.

WCB

Super Anarchist
Park City, UT
not sure if it is available where you are, but we found the stuff they make jandals in a thick 2cm depth with a small pattern (or as Aussies call them, thongs or flip flops or whatever weird language and accent they use over there) glued down worked a treat; usually UV resistant and pretty hard wearing, also slippery to pull the boat up, yet a little sticky when dry so boat didn't slide around too much, didn't shed or peel off or discolour the boat. Available in some funky colours and virtually free over here (often the discards come in 6ft sheets, and would have a small void, bubble or color imperfection, fine for a trailer, but less fine for senor Enrico Sauve bowman rockstar strutting in with millenial $200 USD jandals wearing his TP52 team shirt at the regatta after party and drinking some pretentious beer with something stupid shoved down the spout like a lime).

EVA in high density around 100 also ok, but the more standard stuff around 60 could be a little soft and tended to tear a bit espcially the stuff with a cut into pattern (as opposed to extruded pattern).

Depends what is available locally I guess.  M24 is a lot heavier that our boats (Shaw 650) but a fair bit of that is in the keel, would presume it should still be ok.  At least on some trailers worth it to add a pad around the nose of the trailer for steep slope ramps so the knuckle didn't clip the trailer bobbing around in waves.
Thanks for the tips.  Where we have to ramp launch the M24 it's well protected from waves deep inside a harbor.  

Appreciate all of the ideas on the padding.  I've got a lot of material in shopping carts all over and just need to pull a trigger somewhere.

Crooked Beat

The white hollow dock bumpers that come in 8 foot lengths work well. Cut to size. Fill the hollow with yellow poly line. Attach to bunks with ss screws.

WCB

Super Anarchist
Park City, UT
I went with SeaDek.  I wanted to give RaptorDeck the business as I bought my Melges 24 deck kit from him and it's great.  However, he wanted $40 to add the "teak" grooves in there and SeaDek had it for only $10 more.  I figured that it would be good to have some sort of drainage opportunity built into the foam out of an abundance of caution for trapping moisture.

I can't feel too bad though as a friend liked the RaptorDeck on my Melges 24 so much that he bought the Farr30 kit from Raptor and he loves it too.  Both were sported fresh at Charleston Race Week.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts