Transat Jacques Vabre 2021

kass

Not sure if you're trolling me, or picked a just picked a poor image to illustrate my point. I've attached a better one for you. In my experience* the larger traffic does for the most part stay within the TSS. The fishing vessels stay mostly to the east of it, over the continental shelf.

*motored across that TSS at night in an easterly F9, having lost my rig and a 1x2m portion of the side deck about 150 miles off that corner of Spain. Had the emergency VHF antenna and RTE rigged on the pushpit, but wasn't seeing AIS targets on my plotter, so had to assume I was probably not very visible to traffic either. Was meant to be a pleasure cruise. Have mostly stuck to racing since then... :lol:

Screenshot 2021-11-10 at 18.12.55.png

BGeff

Super Anarchist
Ann Arbor, MI
The other 11th Hour boat has been slow for over an hour and close to another boat that is going 10 knots faster...
Both of them have retired with mechanical issues.  Charlie and Pasquel had tiller extension or tiller issues that they couldn't overcome.

kass

11th HR is reporting Boat 1(ex Hugo Boss) has dropped the rig. All are safe and are sorting it out.

https://www.11thhourracingteam.org/news/alakai-reports-dismasting-in-transat-jacques-vabre/
Gutted for Justine and Sifi. I had high hopes for them on this race.

That boat does not have a great record on this event. That makes just one finish out of three attempts, and two have ended with her mastless in A Coruña. At least this time they have a relatively short and painless motor to safety (as opposed to 2015's helicopter rescue and subsequent boat salvage mission).

My interest in these races always steadily drops throughout the race as good boats have to withdraw due to equipment failures or hitting things.  Each time I'm reminded these ocean races on fast boats are really more of a lottery than skill.  
Disagree, skill wins, random misfortune is part of the game. They have all experienced it and all aware.

Herman

Super Anarchist
The Netherlands
Not sure if you're trolling me, or picked a just picked a poor image to illustrate my point
Hi Kass, I hate trolls and serious off-topic stuff, see the previous threads on the previous editions of the TJV or the past 3 or 4 (Volvo) Ocean races. Lack of time due to work activities does not result in the best graphics though. I would have liked to have a screenshot of Marinetraffic as overlay in OpenCPN with the TSS as plotted object. But alas. A Windows crash has resulted in a reinstall of my routing software and I have to tweak all settings. No time to plot the TSSs either, I hope this weekend to get the stuff up and running.

Btw: trolls do get kicked here and don’t have a rep score of 1.000+  ;)

Btw2: with your sailing background and goals for the Ostar I can only humbly bow 

Not sure if you're trolling me, or picked a just picked a poor image to illustrate my point. I've attached a better one for you. In my experience* the larger traffic does for the most part stay within the TSS. The fishing vessels stay mostly to the east of it, over the continental shelf.

*motored across that TSS at night in an easterly F9, having lost my rig and a 1x2m portion of the side deck about 150 miles off that corner of Spain. Had the emergency VHF antenna and RTE rigged on the pushpit, but wasn't seeing AIS targets on my plotter, so had to assume I was probably not very visible to traffic either. Was meant to be a pleasure cruise. Have mostly stuck to racing since then... :lol:

View attachment 472779
Traffic scary along this area. At night more so, I live right on the coast and and repeatedly surprised at lights I can see out at sea moving quite quickly.

Last edited by a moderator:

loneshark64

Super Anarchist
Maine, USA
Gutted for Justine and Sifi. I had high hopes for them on this race.

That boat does not have a great record on this event. That makes just one finish out of three attempts, and two have ended with her mastless in A Coruña. At least this time they have a relatively short and painless motor to safety (as opposed to 2015's helicopter rescue and subsequent boat salvage mission).
As did I. Will be interested to see what caused a dismasting under the conditions they’ve experienced thus far.

Roleur

Super Anarchist
Orcas Island
I thought I read it here somewhere, but now can't find it.  Maybe it is a result of my CRT burn from watching this, as well as work all at the same time.  My apologies for the misinformation.
I believe that happened to them in a previous race a few weeks ago.  

They are going 20.4 kts in the right direction now, so hopefully still racing.

Jono

Super Anarchist
Belated Thanks Kass.

Only 4 C40s from 145  (2015) to new (172) not racing. - 146, 150, 169, 171. That is seriously impressive for class participation. And also a reflection on the need for a scow bow.