Transat Jacques Vabre 2021

t_huebs

I love how in worlds of sooooo many variables, including some oddly light bays, trades and transitions, people are writing off a boat that has way less data than most due to late launch and limited development last cycle and after 10 days is sitting less than 20 nm behind the winner of the last Vendee as I write this (it's actually less than that based on position to rhumb or whatever the tracker is showing but YOLO) and forget that MichDes was involved significantly (https://www.tipandshaft.com/en/vendee-globe-2020-2021/michel-desjoyeaux-corum-is-probably-the-boat-i-have-invested-the-most-in/) so obviously "it's a total shitter."

FFS

terrafirma

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
Charal and Apivia having a good ol one on one battle and great to see Charal has been a poofteenth faster in these conditions. If Linked Out get through the transition into the new pressure they could extend even further just as Frank and Claud have with the Ultime's. 

Sailbydate

Super Anarchist
Kohimarama
It certainly hasn't been performing well. To be fair though Arkea seems to be on the money so I doubt JuanK is the issue but what about the variables? What foils did they choose? are they sailing the boat as well as the others? Lots of questions before accusing the boat of being a dog.?
Fair enough. 

Sailbydate

Super Anarchist
Kohimarama
I love how in worlds of sooooo many variables, including some oddly light bays, trades and transitions, people are writing off a boat that has way less data than most due to late launch and limited development last cycle and after 10 days is sitting less than 20 nm behind the winner of the last Vendee as I write this (it's actually less than that based on position to rhumb or whatever the tracker is showing but YOLO) and forget that MichDes was involved significantly (https://www.tipandshaft.com/en/vendee-globe-2020-2021/michel-desjoyeaux-corum-is-probably-the-boat-i-have-invested-the-most-in/) so obviously "it's a total shitter."

FFS
'People' are just trying to understand how underwhelming this boat's performance has been. Dropped rig, re fit and part re-build, a no-show in the 2021 Fastnet. No one is questioning the abilities of, Desjoyeaux, Troussel or Josse. Maybe just wondering about the design. I'm certainly not buying, 'oddly light bays, trades and transitions'. They're all on the same racetrack, after all.

In addition, her near sister ship is performing pretty well. So.......

Last edited by a moderator:

Schakel

Dayboat sailor
Charal and Apivia having a good ol one on one battle and great to see Charal has been a poofteenth faster in these conditions. If Linked Out get through the transition into the new pressure they could extend even further just as Frank and Claud have with the Ultime's. 
In the latest poistion report Apivia is slightly faster then the rest.
Samatha Davies doing all right.
Charal out of children diseases, since latest Vendee Globe.
That's an exclusive bunch of sailors over there. TJV Imoca 18 - 11 0638.PNG
Who is the most beautifull female sailor on this race, besides Samantha Davies.
Marie Tabarly? And yes, she is the daugther of the famous Eric Tabarly:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Éric_Tabarly
Marie Taberly Louis Duc.jpg
Servane Escoffier.PNG Justine Metraux.jpg

staysail

Super Anarchist
'People' are just trying to understand how underwhelming this boat's performance has been. Dropped rig, re fit and part re-build, a no-show in the 2021 Fastnet. No one is questioning the abilities of, Desjoyeaux, Troussel or Josse. Maybe just wondering about the design. I'm certainly not buying, 'oddly light bays, trades and transitions'. They're all on the same racetrack, after all.

In addition, her near sister ship is performing pretty well. So.......
I took this photo of Corum's foil at the Vendee 2020 start. Anyone have one from Le Havre this year for comparison?

20201022_144822.jpg

Herman

Super Anarchist
The Netherlands
The big pic for Nov 18th

Pic 1 has NOAA tropical surface as overlay plus IR inverted Sat image NWS color enhanced for cloud activity, and GFS wind. There is cloud activity around the ITCZ, as usual. ITCZ seems restored, although the GFS wind barbs do not indicate that, they don't change their direction. So I wonder if the ITCZ is a bit more to the north when looking at the GFS wind barbs and cloud activity. In that case, the top-3 would already be far in the ITCZ. See also pic 2 with the zoom. 

The Ultimes can enjoy the ride on the trades north after the virtual waypoint near Trindade without problems for now.

Pic 3 has the weather routing projections table and routing LinkedOut with GFS wind and waves. LinkedOut stays a couple of hours in front of the chasing Charal and Apivia. Initiatives-Coeur 4th half a day later then nrs 2 and 3 projected. I added Prysmian Group in order to see what happens with the pack behind 11th hour Racing. No chance of catching the boats in front it seems.

1056670041_BigpicNov18th.png

236577026_Pic2zoomNov18th.png

Pic 3 wx Nov 18th.png

Icedtea

Super Anarchist
In the latest poistion report Apivia is slightly faster then the rest.
Samatha Davies doing all right.
Charal out of children diseases, since latest Vendee Globe.
That's an exclusive bunch of sailors over there. View attachment 474739
Who is the most beautifull female sailor on this race, besides Samantha Davies.
Marie Tabarly? And yes, she is the daugther of the famous Eric Tabarly:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Éric_Tabarly
View attachment 474741
View attachment 474742 View attachment 474743
That's an absolutely shit thing to take or even discuss from this race, just grow up

Herman

Super Anarchist
The Netherlands
Wow, the IMOCA race just got a bit more interesting. The DTLs for LinkedOut and Apivia have come down quickly from +/- 80 nm this morning to +/- 23 nm @1800 CET. A kick from the ITCZ I guess. Thomas and Morgan will start looking in their rear-view mirror if this continues. And Arkea-Paprec is slowly but steadily reeling in Initiatives-Coeur.

yl75

Super Anarchist
France
Cammas and Caudrelier were quite lucky on their way up from Trinidad, in "green" territory (wind level) all the time, less luck for Armel and Gabart, would have been better for the race the other way! But the whole Atlantic is really kind of strange right now :

94763695_Capturedecran2021-11-18a18_25_46.png

yl75

Super Anarchist
France
Caudrelier below saying that they have set themseves a speed limit of 38 39, when they could go 42 43, to preserve the boat :

floater

Super Duper Anarchist
quivira regnum
18 minutes ago, yl75 said:

Caudrelier below saying that they have set themseves a speed limit of 38 39, when they could go 42 43, to preserve the boat :

amazing how carefree and relaxed they seem on this monster.

kass

It will be interesting how much (or little) trouble the sargassum turns out to be for the fleet. Henri Laurent from Sailgrib was kind enough to send me a jpeg of the latest chart from University of South Florida's Satellite-based Sargassum Watch System (SaWS). Unfortunately it's not freely available as a grib file, so I've just inexpertly scaled it and pasted it over the tracker image as best I could (and redrawn the exclusion zone, and rhumbline tracks. If I'm not mistaken, each little pixel on the chart is approximately 6 nm square. I'm also attaching an animated gif showing how it's been changing over the past month. And finally, a helpful video from the 2018 VOR showing how Azko Nobel coped with it.

TJV Sargassum 2021-11-15.png

sargassum_density_most_recent.gif

Sailbydate

Super Anarchist
Kohimarama
Charlie/Paul back into overdrive aboard, APIVIA. Highest 24hr speed again. Great boat speed.

About 23nm behind LinkedOut. This is quite a battle.

1682885156_ScreenShot2021-11-19at8_09_59AM.png

Sailbydate

Super Anarchist
Kohimarama
Ocean50, Leyton had a nice mark rounding, climbing back to second, but are struggling to stay there. Also a close race at this stage.

Screen Shot 2021-11-19 at 8.09.30 AM.png