Transat Jacques Vabre 2021

Dennis6748

Why is Sodebo always so slow? They lost a 5nm lead in just two hours. The boat should be much faster, does anyone have a clue?

She was so hyped when she was launched...

yl75

Super Anarchist
France
Why is Sodebo always so slow? They lost a 5nm lead in just two hours. The boat should be much faster, does anyone have a clue?

She was so hyped when she was launched...
Not sure, they took a very "cautious" approach, not launching her with a foil on the daggerboard for instance.

And cutting the amas at the rear may not have helped either.

But true that this boat is clearly disappointing.

Last edited by a moderator:

BGeff

Super Anarchist
Ann Arbor, MI
And I feel badly for Thomas C and the program, along with the owner of Sodebo.  But I do know if anyone can figure it out, they can, and will.  

yl75

Super Anarchist
France
Perfect, opens like a dream on Android. Thanks so much!

Class 40's are so less known, to me at least, but they each run an equally important and impressive campaign.
And you also have all the other classes in seperate sheets in the file

terrafirma

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
I have not lost faith in Apivia!
And rightly so we all knew it would only be temporary. Charlie was just giving everyone a chance to catch up.  He's now 43 miles ahead of the next boat Linked Out. Who knows what that will stretch out too if he turns on the afterburners.? The leading Ultime's are cruising in the 30's now, that would be a great ride.! 

terrafirma

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
And I feel badly for Thomas C and the program, along with the owner of Sodebo.  But I do know if anyone can figure it out, they can, and will.  
Don't forget the boat is only as fast as the people sailing it.! So either the boat is a little off the pace or it's the crew. Also they are sailing against the best sailors in the world and it doesn't take much to lose a mile here and there. Sodebo is in 2nd position as we speak so they can't be that bad? 

Roleur

Super Anarchist
Orcas Island
Don't forget the boat is only as fast as the people sailing it.! So either the boat is a little off the pace or it's the crew. Also they are sailing against the best sailors in the world and it doesn't take much to lose a mile here and there. Sodebo is in 2nd position as we speak so they can't be that bad? 
How is Thomas Colville not one of the best sailors in the world, on anyone’s list?  I can’t see how it is the crew, but the boat does seem consistently slow. 

[email protected]

Super Anarchist
43 south
How is Thomas Colville not one of the best sailors in the world, on anyone’s list?  I can’t see how it is the crew, but the boat does seem consistently slow. 
Thomas and Sodebo are far from slow, none of the Ultims are, it just seems that Gitana and crew are just showing the benefits of refinement, and time on the boat. 

P_Wop

Super Anarchist
Bay Area, CA
Merf Owen and Alex Mehran (GBR & USA) have taken a very courageous solo line out to the West in their Open 40 Polka Dot. 

They're all alone, heading almost West, about 100 miles to seaward of the rest of them.  Lying in 7th place right now, let's hope they get a nice stiff Northerly out of that system and are first into the new breeze.  Fingers x-ed.

Gutsy call, as they'd say in Sydney.

NZK

Anarchist
Roaming
I read recently, I think in one of Tip and Shaft's TJV previews, that Sodebo is considered 'heavy' compared to the other ultimes - there was no quantification of by how much but this may explain why they appeared to struggle early on in the light winds across Biscay, maybe they have slightly higher take-off speeds??

kass

I asked the same thing of a number of knowledgable people I bumped into before the start. Consensus seemed to be that Sodebo 3 is quite a bit heavier than the rest of the fleet, and given the expected light conditions she will struggle.

Just looking at the rudder systems of each, it was easy to see a difference. I attach a photo I took of Sodebo's, and one of Actual's (the lightest Ultime) for comparison.

sodebo3_rudder.jpg

actual_rudder.jpg

yl75

Super Anarchist
France
Merf Owen and Alex Mehran (GBR & USA) have taken a very courageous solo line out to the West in their Open 40 Polka Dot. 

They're all alone, heading almost West, about 100 miles to seaward of the rest of them.  Lying in 7th place right now, let's hope they get a nice stiff Northerly out of that system and are first into the new breeze.  Fingers x-ed.

Gutsy call, as they'd say in Sydney.
Very ballsy indeed, but I don't see any Northerly coming, although this option was the one proposed by the routing softwares after the start it seems.

Latest posts