transfer pump?

Moonduster

Super Anarchist
Siphoning into jerry cans is the usual approach. You can get cheap (and inexpensive) pumps that are used with an electric drill. The problem is that the hoses are small in diameter and the pumps are slow.

Good luck!

Greever

Super Anarchist
Rockford, MI
Siphoning into jerry cans is the usual approach. You can get cheap (and inexpensive) pumps that are used with an electric drill. The problem is that the hoses are small in diameter and the pumps are slow.

Good luck!

Yes I have heard of pumps that fit on a cordless but I cant find one so far. Damn google keeps giving me 12 volt pumps or manual pumps for 55gal drums.

I have plenty of jerrycans and don't mind a slow transfer rate. Just can't find the darn pump that attatches to my cordless. (also in this economy I have become a cheapskate and don't want to spend $60. on a 12v pump when I will probably only use it a few times)

Thanks Moonduster, I will keep searching.

Ishmael

Fuctifino
If you can get the receiving jugs lower than the tank, why not just siphon it? Use an outboard primer bulb to get it going if you don't like the taste.

Greever

Super Anarchist
Rockford, MI
Tried that. Fumes almost made me yak...
blink.gif

Zonker

Super Anarchist
Canada
A method I use to transfer diesel from jerry cans to a fuel tank might work. I put a hose into the jerry can and stuff the can opening with a plastic bag to seal it. I blow into the vent and it pressurizes the can, and starts the siphoning action. No chance of swallowing fuel but you do get a tiny bit on your lips from the vent. Actually not horrible tasting - sorta like vegetable oil.

If you did something similar but blew into the tank vent it might work - but the cheap drill pump is simple.

Greever

Super Anarchist
Rockford, MI
Thanks for the advice, but I went ahead and ordered a Jabsco drill pump from Amazon. It was $38. but got better reviews than the $10. ones. It's supposed to pump engine oil too.......

warbird

Super Anarchist
lake michigan
Remove your fuel return line. With small nipple and extra fuel hose added to nipple, direct the fuel return to your jerry can. Start motor and shut off when can is full or fuel is down to the pick up level. If you let the fuel pump below the pick up level, the motor will shut off all by itself!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Timo42

Super Anarchist
Remove your fuel return line. With small nipple and extra fuel hose added to nipple, direct the fuel return to your jerry can. Start motor and shut off when can is full or fuel is down to the pick up level. If you let the fuel pump below the pick up level, the motor will shut off all by itself!!
Depends on why he is draining the tank, if the fuel is contaminated...

I tried the 'pump on a drill' but it just did not work for me ( the output was too slow). I ended up borrowing a pump similar to this Pela 14K Oil Change Pump (http://www.pelaproducts.com/ ) to pull the diesel out of my tanks. The pump was suprisingly clean and efficent and pulled 150 ltrs our in no time. I simply turned off the tank, cut the fuel line, spliced the suction line from the pump to the fuel line, then pumped the fuel into 5 gal tanks.

Latest posts