Transpac 2017

Potter

Super Anarchist
Well MOD 70s are essentially ORMA 60s but with longer hulls, and slightly heavier. So no real surprise. 

Masarati will have no data numbers to work from, which may explain her weather routing, and there was a comment from Phaedo (twitter I think) that they are missing their multihull expert and were being a bit cautious.

That said, Loick could make a bathtub fly! He is the Maitre de Jedi....

Chasm

Super Anarchist
Not just Loic but also Franck Proffit and Jacques Vincent. They added quite a bit of French multi experience.
I sometimes wonder how that works. Money make the world go round for the highest bidder vs. getting paid a bit for taking part in a major race that was on the bucket list.

Meanwhile: 24h record in the Transpac goes to Comanche 484.1nm,  20.2 kts avg.

Miffy

Super Anarchist
Well MOD 70s are essentially ORMA 60s but with longer hulls, and slightly heavier. So no real surprise. 

Masarati will have no data numbers to work from, which may explain her weather routing, and there was a comment from Phaedo (twitter I think) that they are missing their multihull expert and were being a bit cautious.

That said, Loick could make a bathtub fly! He is the Maitre de Jedi....
They lost Brian Thompson before the race. Probably their most experienced all around member   

GauchoGreg

Super Anarchist
^  Bummer.  Wondering where their speed advantage went.  Would have loved to see Maserati & Phaedo both go at 100% in a long passage like this to see how the foiling panned out.  No chance to foil on the port tack with that rudder gone.  Now just dragging more foil around.

Oh well, rooting for Mighty Merloe, anyway.  Looking solid.  Fun if they set they win with all the talk going in for Phaedo & Maserati.

papagayo

west coast
Works fine on my iphone.  Do you have the Yellow brick app?
i tried to download the current yellow brick app on my android tablet after this current transpac started and was notified that i had to pay to use it.  did not pay to download current yellow brick app to use on tablet and decided to just use my laptop to check out the tracker.  i then noticed that i had previous yellow brick app downloaded on tablet and it works with the current transpac, old app works ok but does not have all the added features yellow brick added for this current transpac tracking.  

GauchoGreg

Super Anarchist
Maserati is showing the speed advantage, again, on the starboard tack, back on their good rudder.  MM with a 44mi lead over Phaedo with 703 miles to go, Phaedo currently w/ 1.6knt speed advantage, but MM tracking closer to the rumbline.

Merlin a bit less than 4mi behind Pyewacket.

MR.CLEAN

Not here
Not just Loic but also Franck Proffit and Jacques Vincent. They added quite a bit of French multi experience.
I sometimes wonder how that works. Money make the world go round for the highest bidder vs. getting paid a bit for taking part in a major race that was on the bucket list.

Meanwhile: 24h record in the Transpac goes to Comanche 484.1nm,  20.2 kts avg.
what are the lead multis doing in 24h, chasm?

RobG

Super Anarchist
Maserati is showing the speed advantage, again, on the starboard tack, back on their good rudder.  MM with a 44mi lead over Phaedo with 703 miles to go, Phaedo currently w/ 1.6knt speed advantage, but MM tracking closer to the rumbline.

Merlin a bit less than 4mi behind Pyewacket.
At the moment it's only a 0.8 kn advantage, and Maserati is maybe 7° higher than Phaedo (though hard to tell with 30 nm separation). It's a very interesting tactical duel.

According to the tracker, over the last 24hrs:

• Maserati: 471nm
  • Phaedo 3: 507 nm
  • Mighty Merloe: 519nm
That may be distance toward finish rather than through the water, so may not reflect actual boat speed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chasm

Super Anarchist
what are the lead multis doing in 24h, chasm?
A bit hard to compare since the transpac record is in a fixed 24h time period (0800 to 0800) and their writers are not talking. ;)
As of writing this they are all doing above 500nm in the last 24h. Phaedo3 552nm, Maserati 511nm, Mighty Merloe 501nm. Followed by Comanche 403nm.
No 24h distance on the tracker during replay, that makes it hard to check for past performance... 

MR.CLEAN

Not here
Oh don't fall for his baiting the multi v mono debate
No baiting here, just always get a kick out of the fact that the boat that weighs and costs more than all the multihulls combined - is a day back, yet people are still amazed by her.

Does the tracker go live at some point as they approach?  With the tris all going so fast the four hour delay is a big time spread. Thinking of launching the RIB to go chase the finishers this evening.

~HHN92~

Super Anarchist
How is Merlin doing? Tracker doesn't work on iPhone...
Merlin is hanging in there with Pyewacket and among the SC and Andrews 70's. I think Pyewacket is a 1/2 know faster most times I checked but she is running right with them.

Latest posts