Transpac 2017

No baiting here, just always get a kick out of the fact that the boat that weighs and costs more than all the multihulls combined - is a day back, yet people are still amazed by her.
I think people are amazed by the fact that she's just fucking huge compared to mono's that most people race on a weekly basis.  Our Fareast 28 fits across the damn cockpit.  Are the multi's faster, yes, are the multi's relatable to most people's sailing experience, not really because they look funny and there aren't many of them for normal people to ride on.  Comanche is big as shit and kinda looks like a boat not an X-wing fighter from Star Wars.  It's all relative, I'll never sail..  scratch that, never say never, I drink myself into some pretty cool places... I'll probably never sail on any of them but I think bombing downhill on a 100 ft surfboard that will most likely always end up right side up would be more fun than worrying about a single foil holding up for 2600 miles of open ocean. 

With that said, if you have an in, I'm willing to give my full and unbiased opinion of either one.

Last edited by a moderator:

Go Left

Super Anarchist
Seattle
No baiting here, just always get a kick out of the fact that the boat that weighs and costs more than all the multihulls combined - is a day back, yet people are still amazed by her.
Aren't you so so cute with your snark.  Just want to pinch your chubby cheeks.

Car Ramrod

Anarchist
Vermont
Because, other monohulls have cost more than all the multihulls combined for decades now but they might be two or three days back. That's what's amazing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Monkey

Super Anarchist
I think people are amazed by the fact that she's just fucking huge compared to mono's that most people race on a weekly basis.  Our Fareast 28 fits across the damn cockpit.  Are the multi's faster, yes, are the multi's relatable to most people's sailing experience, not really because they look funny and there aren't many of them for normal people to ride on.  Comanche is big as shit and kinda looks like a boat not an X-wing fighter from Star Wars.  It's all relative, I'll never sail..  scratch that, never say never, I drink myself into some pretty cool places... I'll probably never sail on any of them but I think bombing downhill on a 100 ft surfboard that will most likely always end up right side up would be more fun than worrying about a single foil holding up for 2600 miles of open ocean. 

With that said, if you have an in, I'm willing to give my full and unbiased opinion of either one.
For me, it's just the sheer power of the monster monos that appeals to me. The big multis just don't do that for me because I already expect them to be fast. They're both cool, just in different ways. 

hbsurfer

In Division 3 shocked that Lady Kanon the RP 45 owes Resolute the J 125 that much time.  Both those guys have sailed an amazing race.  

Cal20sailor

Super Anarchist
Detroit
In Division 3 shocked that Lady Kanon the RP 45 owes Resolute the J 125 that much time.  Both those guys have sailed an amazing race.  
SSSShhhhhhh.   The only heroes are at the front of the fleet.  Fuck the press, as you pointed out, the real stories are farther back. Shit, the SC70s aren't even on the leaders screen when you blow it out enough to show the finish. 

Then there are the Division 0 heroes... One of them on Mighty Merloe takes a break that would appeal to most here, I'd say. But not me. We're not into the weed...just hard iced tea and the makings for passion fruit Bellinis, served complete with little umbrellas.

The only heroes are at the front of the fleet.

The skipper is not at the helm. Le skipper n'est pas à la barre.  #MightyMerloe  #Transpac20...jpeg

Tomfl

Not trying to bash monohulls.  But I have to point out it is common for me to see fboats, quite common in fact.  While I don't own one I have never had a problem hitching a ride on one.  C14, C27, and C31; not to mention the F39 that was (at least to me) a real beast.  Easy to sail that boat at 20+ knots in common conditions in the winter in the Florida Keys.  I know these speeds don't match what MM or the rest of the big boys are doing but I can certainly relate to what sailing those boats is like.  Sailing on fast multihulls may not be for everyone; but if anyone really wants to do it finding a ride on one is not really that hard.

bigrpowr

Super Anarchist
The 805
I think the best story in this race is that mighty merloe, a 10 year old build and shorter tri design, is kicking ass.......

That's amazing...
agreed. they got this one on lock , unless they have a meeting with a reef. they have owned the other 2 the whole way. doug will be by with excuses shortly.

Lost in Translation

Super Anarchist
Atlanta, GA
Seems like Merloe has shown a patience and definitiveness in their navigation that the other multis have lacked. Either that or they have gotten very lucky to avoid having to maneuver for squalls.  Great work.  Watching their course over the last portion of the race makes their navigation decisions look easy and perfect.  

nkiesel

I see a "Pleasure Craft" on MarineTraffic in what could be the correct location but only shows as "received via Satellite" for me

nkiesel

Not sure how that "life tracking under 100nm" is done but if the triggering condition is that the boat must be < 100nm at time of the usual hourly update with the 4 hour delay, then the tris will be finished before their position delay is lifted. I.e. MM was 104 nm away at their 12:00 HST reporting which means they are most likely less than 25 nm away from finish at 16:00 HST.  Thus at their 13:00 HST update they might already be finished.

Latest posts