Transpac 2017

J/120

Rio is the Barn Door winner for the first monohull to finish that is not power assisted. Comanche gets the first monohull of any type finish, and Mighty Merloe gets the multihull trophy. This was broken out a number of years ago once more than traditional monohull's started racing.
Rio is not power assisted?? Without pedestals that is a lot of top handling....

Weird. Comanche is man powered with a hydro keel. Rio is powered winches with a fixed keel. 

Maybe time to rethink things?
Agreed.  I recall reading when Comanche was launched that they specifically did not include powered sail handling systems in order to qualify for various world records without the asterisk.  She should get the Barn Door

The Big Injun can switch between powered winches and not I think.
Not true.  http://www.boatinternational.com/yachts/editorial-features/comanche-the-31-5m-sailing-superyacht-built-to-win--2063

"When Jim Clark decided on a supermaxi, his plan was to go for line honours rather than wins on corrected time, and speed/distance records that could be set for yachts with human powered winches. “I don’t want any of that record stuff with an asterisk that says push-button winches,” Jim Clark scoffs."

Moonduster

Super Anarchist
Comanche has a single hydraulically powered winch strategically located for use with most lines. The remaining winches are pedestal powered.

On a race like Transpac, there's no differentiation between powered winches and powered canting keel, neither is eligible for the Door.

As a result, I would expect Comanche had a fuel weight strategy and that engine use was moderate, but when the thing was running, the powered winch was in use.

J/120

Comanche has a single hydraulically powered winch strategically located for use with most lines. The remaining winches are pedestal powered.

On a race like Transpac, there's no differentiation between powered winches and powered canting keel, neither is eligible for the Door.

As a result, I would expect Comanche had a fuel weight strategy and that engine use was moderate, but when the thing was running, the powered winch was in use.

Last edited by a moderator:

Moonduster

Super Anarchist
Not so fast grasshopper ... from here:

"Not having a canting keel or water ballasts along with its all manpowered winches make Rio 100 the only 100′ boat in the world to qualify for the prestigious Barn Door trophy of Transpac."

Moonduster

Super Anarchist
And from here ...

HONOLULU, HI – In the pre-dawn hours this morning, Manouch Moshayedi’s Bakewell-White-designed Rio 100 crossed the finish line at Diamond Head to be the first-to-finish monohull without powered assistance, and thereby winner of the historic Barn Door Trophy in the 2017 Transpac.

Moonduster

Super Anarchist
And from the NOR ...

Monohull yachts not having RRS 51 or 52 waivers will be eligible for the Barn Door Trophy, all others will be eligible for the Merlin Trophy.

Rule 51 is about moveable ballast

Rule 52 is about powered standing rigging, running rigging, appendages and spars

Any other questions?

DamnSkippy

Anyone look at the Pac52 vs 2009 winner Samba Pa Ti? Samba would have been only a few hours behind on elapsed time but would have corrected out over a day ahead.

HypnoToad

Anarchist
Medusa didn't need a motor to gybe!

I think the boats are put in the 100mile tracker page manually right before they hit the 100 mile limit. I made the same mistake with Loereal up thread a bit.

Shu

Super Anarchist
Yeah, the same thing happened with Resolute.  Heading 0-degrees, speed 0 kts.  They are not updating the leaderboard today.  Last update for boats showing up on the live tracker was 4 hours ago.

~HHN92~

Super Anarchist
The SC 52's & 50's are coming-in at a regular pace now, several miles separating each boat. Watched one come through the Diamond Head cam a while ago and another due to come by in a few minutes.

~HHN92~

Super Anarchist
A few minutes ago, Kinetic V TP52.

Kinetic V TP52 07.15.17.jpg

Latest posts