Transpac 2017

Mudsailor

Anarchist
So Cal
I think we need a shout out for Varuna (opusone here on the forum) 1st in class and 2nd overall, great job!

Last edited by a moderator:

~HHN92~

Super Anarchist
Weddell finally finishes.  To bad they missed the parities!
The latest is they ripped across the main a couple of days out, spent 36 hours patching it back together, then it let go again before the finish. I will have to speak to Kuli when he gets home.

Dude

Anarchist
Here are our guestimates, bummed that Sweet Okole isn't racing this Transpac.

Division 0: Agree.
Division 0A/Multihull: Kastor Pollux, a slam dunk
Division 1: It'll be a match between Comanche and Rio100, and I wouldn't discount the Canadian entry, Kinetic V.
Division 2: Grand Illusion and Pyewacket, only because they're the WaikikiYC entries.
Division 3: Undecided.
Division 4: Oaxaca. Well, because Dee Caffari's helming.

I would place my bet's on:

Division 0:  Pass 

Division1: Comanche: Difficult to bet against Honey and one of the biggest badest boats on the planet.

Division 2: Have to go with the Mouse and their boat speed, very difficult to bet against O'Brien and the GI team.

Division 3: Always difficult to beat a J 125, Fuller runs a well prepared boat they are going to have to catch Varuna? It will be close, Resolute for the win, both boats will do well overall

Division 4: I view this fleet in aah, ten similar boats, you can almost call it the last of corinthian class/one design ocean racing? For all the 40 + year old armchair racers this year with the dream, in what other class can you have real food, with a real head and a dry bunk? Then add the exhilaration of "Fast is Fun", aboard Horizon in this years Coastal Cup we hit a new boat speed recorded of 28.8 knots. Why would you not want to join this class?

It would bring us the wrong JuJu if I was to bet on this class, I might point out we did have a substantial delta on the rest of our fleet in this years Coastal Cup. To the other competitors in our class, enjoy the moment this is going to be a memorable race.

Division 5: I am going to have to go with Locomotive, they have been on the race course this year and will have to assume they are the best prepared.

Division 6: I do have any information on this fleet, although always difficult to bet against a Hobie 33

Division 7: How to you bet against Pearlman, 7th Trans Pac, good crew and well prepared. They will have to sail fewer miles than the Cal 40's.

Lets hope for wind!
Looks like my picks where at best 50/50?

Div. 1  Do ratings count in this Div?

Div 2. Mouse won, GI might have done better with more breeze at the end.

Div 3. I missed the winner, although not far off target

Div 4. I love it when a plan comes together.

Div 5. This was obvious from the start.

Div 6. Difficult to beat a Hobie 33.

Div 7. My second picks took it, with the Cal 40's.

Thats four out of seven divisions, with my back ups staying close.

Observation: Top four overall winners were sailed very well, there we also planning boats. Should the next Trans Pac place the planning boats into their own division, with their own overall? 

Hitchhiker

Hoopy Frood
Saquo-Pilia Hensha
Observation: Top four overall winners were sailed very well, there we also planning boats. Should the next Trans Pac place the planning boats into their own division, with their own overall? 
IMHO. Time to jump on to the bandwagon.  Although I think planing is better than planning, but that's just me!

Would be interesting to see a growth in the PAC 52 class from the 70's owners.  All sorts of events could be revived in SoCal with this class.

Dude

Anarchist
IMHO. Time to jump on to the bandwagon.  Although I think planing is better than planning, but that's just me!

Would be interesting to see a growth in the PAC 52 class from the 70's owners.  All sorts of events could be revived in SoCal with this class.
Hitch, Would the results have changed much if the rating were based on "Time/Distance"?

Hitchhiker

Hoopy Frood
Saquo-Pilia Hensha
Hitch, Would the results have changed much if the rating were based on "Time/Distance"?
Dude, I don't think so.  With the exception of Div 1,2 and 7, the winning boats posted the fastest elapsed time.  Div 1, Commanche would need to start in another time zone to correct. Rio, might be a diff story if they didn't break a rudder.

Div 2, Might have changed Merlin vs Catapult as they rate pretty close, otherwise the splits are quite wide.

Div 7, with Azure giving assistance we will never know!

opusone

Anarchist

Hitch - not sure I agree with you and Dude - one race should not be the determining factor.  

2015 Transpac - 1st GI, 2nd Pyewacket, 3rd Bolt (TP52), 4th OEX, 5th Buona Sera (SC70)

2013 Transpac - 1st Dorade, 2nd Pyewacket, 3rd Alchemy, 4th Sleeper (Jeanneau 44), 5th Meanie (RP52)

Seems like the pole boats have had some great success in recent years.  Is everyone afraid of the Pac 52's?  We feel we can beat them in the right conditions.  Every dog has it's day, and they were the right horse for the course this past go around.

Congratulations to Invisible Hand and Bad Pak for a great race and result.

Cheers,

opusone

tfuller

Hey Chris, congrats again to the Varuna team on a great race, and so cool you could do that with your daughter.  See you soon out on some race course someplace.  I bought a Finn just before TP.  You may want to jump into that "old guy" fun (pain) class.  Tim 

Tom O'Keefe

Super Anarchist
Grinder,

I spoke to Wayne and it sounds like J World already has Hula Girl chartered for 2019. I don't know if the new boat has been chartered yet. But, there is talk of adding a third offshore boat to the J World program. 

If you want a SC50 I would talk to Cabrillo Beach Yacht Club about chartering Allure. Bill donated it a year or two ago. It's a fast SC50.

Latest posts