Transpac 2021

Brian M.

Florida
So, Merlin is expressing interest. And rumor has it there will be an OEX representative on the line. Who's next?
We're in. Entered, committed, good to go. Cuz...

If you have Merlin and don't do Transpac...

You go to hell.

2019_TRANSPAC_FINISH_CROP.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Raz'r

Super Anarchist
De Nile
How does one become crew for these races? The Latitude 38 crew party hasn't been working for me. 
Sail. A lot. Show up early. Stay late and clean up. Bring cookies. Do everything, boat prep, clean the head, etc.  Sail well, be fun on the boat.

Show up to boat maintenance days, etc.  Help to coordinate crew.

Be indispensable to the owner. 

I can't imagine going to a party and signing on a race crew. A delivery crew? sure.

Tom O'Keefe

Super Anarchist
Transpac rides are usually the culmination of at least a two year program committment. Owners that want to make that big of an investment want a team that they have confidence in. That comes with time working together offshore in all conditions. And, there are only so many events on the offshore calendar. I did 20 years of offshore before I got my first Transpac finish. And yes, I did get my third Transpac ride aboard Rag Time by rubbing elbows at a post race party. But, that's a whole nother story. 

Sail. A lot. Show up early. Stay late and clean up. Bring cookies. Do everything, boat prep, clean the head, etc.  Sail well, be fun on the boat.

I can't imagine going to a party and signing on a race crew. A delivery crew? sure.
Strangely I was picked up by the boat I did my 1st Hobart on while wearing a coffee filter on my head in a bar!

That said between then and being selected to crew offshore I did ALL of the things you suggest (except bring cookies, I found beer a better bet).

Long & the short of it is be around the boats doing what you want to do and get respected for what you do on other boats & you will get the offer.

SCARECROW

Super Anarchist
Melbourne, Aus
Strangely I was picked up by the boat I did my 1st Hobart on while wearing a coffee filter on my head in a bar!

That said between then and being selected to crew offshore I did ALL of the things you suggest (except bring cookies, I found beer a better bet).

Long & the short of it is be around the boats doing what you want to do and get respected for what you do on other boats & you will get the offer.
Weren't you picked up as a grinder?  you could almost argue having the filter on your head is why you got the ride.

Last edited by a moderator:

ExOmo

Best Anarchist Ever
The Great Void

I think all those things said in the post above and others are true but the reality is there are only so many boats that are going to do Tpac, let alone more than one.  Finding that boat and being part of it is really the bigger challenge.  More interested folks than spaces.   There's always the random connections that were mentioned previously.

How does one become crew for these races? The Latitude 38 crew party hasn't been working for me. 
That is one of the biggest races in the world and on a lot of bucket lists, I did it last year. I have owned and crewed on boats for 30 years and built up a rep for being a good and dependable crew member that could work all positions on the boat. When asked I committed to putting a year with the boat prior to the race. Lots of boat prep projects, cleaning, loaning equipment and doing all local and offshore races to practice with race crew. I also did the three day delivery to Long Beach plus even more prep when we got there. Also was responsible for provisioning and making freezer meals which thank you to Gladstones restaurant deep froze for us prior to the race. Latitude is a great magazine and the crew party will get you on local beer can and YRA races. Transpac 2019 was a lifetime highlight and Im going to do it again!!!!!

stale_mini_6ee6.jpg

BobJ

Super Anarchist
The most reliable way to get a ride in a Hawaii race is to buy a suitable boat and enter the solo race from SF to Kauai.  Many have done this over the race's 42 year history.  The most popular boat has been the Olson 30 and those are relatively affordable, but many kinds of boats have done the race, from Cal 20s to Open 60s.

Do the progression of SSS races, which is designed to prepare you.  Do some Bay races, then the Singlehanded Farallones, then the LongPac.  Go to the seminars, ask a bunch of questions, get help with your boat, and before long you'll be racing a sailboat to Hawaii.

stinky

Anarchist
The most reliable way to get a ride in a Hawaii race is to buy a suitable boat and enter the solo race from SF to Kauai.  Many have done this over the race's 42 year history.  The most popular boat has been the Olson 30 and those are relatively affordable, but many kinds of boats have done the race, from Cal 20s to Open 60s.

Do the progression of SSS races, which is designed to prepare you.  Do some Bay races, then the Singlehanded Farallones, then the LongPac.  Go to the seminars, ask a bunch of questions, get help with your boat, and before long you'll be racing a sailboat to Hawaii.
or if you aren't insane/and/or have at least one friend, buy a small well built boat, and do the Pac Cup double handed.

longy

Overlord of Anarchy
San Diego
That boat looks well preserved & un-modified from birth (no spare holes visible). She has not raced T-pac, in '83 (?) when O-40's & SC-40's were new and a bunch did T-Pac, the race committee required the addition of a ring frame in the bow after a SC had to hull/deck joint fail racing the Santa Barbera Island (?) race. I don't know if that is still a requirement.

zenmasterfred

Super Anarchist
Lopez Island
I think all those things said in the post above and others are true but the reality is there are only so many boats that are going to do Tpac, let alone more than one.  Finding that boat and being part of it is really the bigger challenge.  More interested folks than spaces.   There's always the random connections that were mentioned previously.
Or you can take the Steve Forbes route, be born into a rich family and don't piss off your elders,  Then you can buy your own racer and audition the people who want to go with you.

zenmasterfred

Super Anarchist
Lopez Island
That boat looks well preserved & un-modified from birth (no spare holes visible). She has not raced T-pac, in '83 (?) when O-40's & SC-40's were new and a bunch did T-Pac, the race committee required the addition of a ring frame in the bow after a SC had to hull/deck joint fail racing the Santa Barbera Island (?) race. I don't know if that is still a requirement.
Was racing an SC 40, new in the PNW Straits of Georgia race w/ Bobbo Larson who worked w/ Bill Lee when the hull started oil canning up forward about 6-9", had to convince the owner we should stop as it was blowing a hoolie and getting dark and we didn't want to swim home.  They added a full length stringer and the boat crossed oceans without a problem.