Transpac 2021

Roleur

Super Anarchist
Orcas Island
Seems light across the entire fleet today.  Nobody is moving quick relative to what they can do.  

Interesting thing to ponder.  19 out of 41 boats started on the "fast" day.  Imagine this - You start on the fast day, but are the slowest boat, and you are on a TP52!  A TP52 is basically the median boat for the entire fleet.  Wow!  

Left Shift

Super Anarchist
Seattle
Seems light across the entire fleet today.  Nobody is moving quick relative to what they can do.  

Interesting thing to ponder.  19 out of 41 boats started on the "fast" day.  Imagine this - You start on the fast day, but are the slowest boat, and you are on a TP52!  A TP52 is basically the median boat for the entire fleet.  Wow!  
Welcome to the new normal of fewer boats running on ever larger budgets.  I'm tempted to say something about wealth disparity, but I wont.  

johnstarks

USA
I think a big part of it is how much time people can take off work now a days. I think most people can only take off 2 weeks.  a tp52 or a sled does it around 7-9 days. That gives you 3 or 4 days playing around in Hawaii and a travel day home.  It would suck to finally get there only to jump on a flight 

terrafirma

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
I think a big part of it is how much time people can take off work now a days. I think most people can only take off 2 weeks.  a tp52 or a sled does it around 7-9 days. That gives you 3 or 4 days playing around in Hawaii and a travel day home.  It would suck to finally get there only to jump on a flight 
I would still love to do it. Have sailed around Hawaii doing the Kenwood Cup it's spectacular.! 

Roleur

Super Anarchist
Orcas Island
The two Pac 52's are both seriously fast right now.  Looks like they have 2nd and 5th fastest 24 hour runs.  Warrior Won is just a few miles short of Pyewacket.  

Callisto blew out the head strop on their reaching sail the first night and lost about 30nm to Warrior Won.  Otherwise they would be much closer together.  Also, they are 50nm and 90nm ahead of the Ker 51, Fast Exit II (fka Varuna), which was built for speed, not a rule, and has shown impressive speed before.  

Other than those two, I'm not seeing any interesting speeds.  The two J/125's haven't even cracked a 300nm day yet.  

Swimsailor

Super Anarchist
WA
Why is it when we select a boat with all the information it doesn't list it's rating for example. The rating should be in the area that says "RATING" . It's blank. So we have to go find a scratch sheet for that do we? 

https://yachtscoring.com/boatdetail.cfm?Yacht_ID=202069
So you knew to click the boat but you didn't notice the rating?  It's on the scratch sheet.

https://yachtscoring.com/event_scratch_sheet.cfm?eID=12940

If that's your beef, dang, you need to get out of the house.

terrafirma

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
So you knew to click the boat but you didn't notice the rating?  It's on the scratch sheet.

https://yachtscoring.com/event_scratch_sheet.cfm?eID=12940

If that's your beef, dang, you need to get out of the house.
This all started with the ED putting up on the front page how antiquated the Transpac website was. Did you read it or are you flying blind again? You may like the website but it's so busy and all over the shot IMO. Anyway I'm sick of talking about it back to sailing.  :wub:

P.S. Can't get out of the house I'm in lockdown.!  :angry:

Last edited by a moderator:

terrafirma

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
The two Pac 52's are both seriously fast right now.  Looks like they have 2nd and 5th fastest 24 hour runs.  Warrior Won is just a few miles short of Pyewacket.  

Callisto blew out the head strop on their reaching sail the first night and lost about 30nm to Warrior Won.  Otherwise they would be much closer together.  Also, they are 50nm and 90nm ahead of the Ker 51, Fast Exit II (fka Varuna), which was built for speed, not a rule, and has shown impressive speed before.  

Other than those two, I'm not seeing any interesting speeds.  The two J/125's haven't even cracked a 300nm day yet.  
Yeah real fast. Warrior Won has been pacing Badpak the Botin 56 and in the last 24 hour skeds not far off Pyewacket and Lucky. Perhaps no surprise as these boats were designed for this race and are a development of the TP52. 

MPH

Super Anarchist
NW
Yeah real fast. Warrior Won has been pacing Badpak the Botin 56 and in the last 24 hour skeds not far off Pyewacket and Lucky. Perhaps no surprise as these boats were designed for this race and are a development of the TP52. 
Warrior One's performance is not surprising given the caliber of the people sailing the boat and the amount of preparation and time they have spent training and optimizing the boat. On the other hand, this is the first race for the Bad Pak guys in a new boat... Another funny aside, I believe Warrior One is the former Bad Pak Pac 52..

Swimsailor

Super Anarchist
WA
Warrior One's performance is not surprising given the caliber of the people sailing the boat and the amount of preparation and time they have spent training and optimizing the boat. On the other hand, this is the first race for the Bad Pak guys in a new boat... Another funny aside, I believe Warrior One is the former Bad Pak Pac 52..
Bad Pak and Warrior Won are now both winning their respective classes according to the tracker.  Pretty cool to see!

Roleur

Super Anarchist
Orcas Island
Recall that Bad Pak (Pac 52) was 2nd OA in 2017 and, wait it for it, Invisible Hand (now Callisto) was 1st OA.  Right boat for the course, apparently.

And Callisto has two people from Hamachi (1st OA 2019) onboard.  So, no surprise that good boats with good people are doing well.  

Last edited by a moderator:

MPH

Super Anarchist
NW
Recall that Bad Pak (Pac 52) was 2nd OA in 2017 and, wait it for it, Invisible Hand (now Callisto) was 1st OA.  Right boat for the course, apparently.

And Callisto has two people from Hamachi (1st OA 2019) onboard.  So, no surprise that good boats with good people are doing well.  
Ian Moore(Soapy) and Jared Henderson(Beach) are no slouches either..

Raz'r

Super Anarchist
De Nile
Vitesse and Pied Piper both sailing fabulous races
Looks like a not-too-tough navigational challenge this year with folks gybing down just south of the rhumb line. Boat speed always rules.

image.png

I would still love to do it. Have sailed around Hawaii doing the Kenwood Cup it's spectacular.! 
The YC parties after the race are not great because after you pay to get in you have to pay for food and drinks too, its a non hosted party! the awards are boring as well if you didnt get 1, 2 or 3 in your division. Long beach parties are much better and the Gladstone's one is awesome.

terrafirma

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
Warrior One has overtaken Badpak. Sailing better angles and staying in better pressure. She is very fast in these conditions and obviously sailing with a switched on crew