Transpac 2021

weightless

Super Anarchist
Lucky broken rudder but doing 19 Knots according to YB.! It says retired but heading in the right direction at full speed.? 
Try the 200nm live tracker. Though there must be more to the retirement than a cleanly broken rudder. They will drift most of the way home in not too long.

terrafirma

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
Try the 200nm live tracker. Though there must be more to the retirement than a cleanly broken rudder. They will drift most of the way home in not too long.
That fixes the Lucky position as doing 2.4 Knots and retired. Both Badpak and Good Energy doing zero knots facing into the wind? LOL

weightless

Super Anarchist
That fixes the Lucky position as doing 2.4 Knots and retired. Both Badpak and Good Energy doing zero knots facing into the wind? LOL
It appears that the first position report speed and course when the boats enter the 200nm tracker is 0 @ 000. They update to more reasonable numbers later.

coolboatdog

sad to hear that Lucky broke their rudder so close to the finish. Kind of curious to learn how exactly it broke...also, didn't think JV 72's were made for offshore sailing; wonder if they did anything special to the boat to prepare for Transpac...

whos gonna win div 6 with all the SC 50's?

Hats off to Warrior Won those guys killed it. def gonna win ORR overall, right?

jackolantern

Super Anarchist
That boat was probably the last Maxi72 to be even semi offshore capable. Even then it’s had major problems with keeping the mast up and the structure attached to the inside of the hull. 

now this

keep shrinking those safety factors, NAs, that’s surely the path to good results offshore!

Just saw this on the 200 mile approach map. Patches stopped pointed north. Hopefully just getting something of the keel or rudder?

EDIT: O miles in the last 24? Something is kooky here.

Patches.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

coolboatdog

Yo Seahorse sailing should do an article about the rudder failure on Lucky. Picts, interviews w crew, structural analysis w diagrams. Would be kind of cool I think...

Gotta figure the rudder failure decided who would win the division, no?

notme

I’ve got a good story but need permission from those involved first. Suffice to say it went from Navigator to Medic. Some good lessons I want to pass along what worked what didn’t with approach with Med kit and what it means to be in a pretty serious medical emergency at 20 knots some 800 miles from shore. Was a great race good winds super wet and the only thing we broke was a crew member. We’re in second and had shot to stay there but was not to be as we adjusted to our new reality grinding down tue Rodgers as just no gonna happen.

bigrpowr

Super Anarchist
The 805
I’ve got a good story but need permission from those involved first. Suffice to say it went from Navigator to Medic. Some good lessons I want to pass along what worked what didn’t with approach with Med kit and what it means to be in a pretty serious medical emergency at 20 knots some 800 miles from shore. Was a great race good winds super wet and the only thing we broke was a crew member. We’re in second and had shot to stay there but was not to be as we adjusted to our new reality grinding down tue Rodgers as just no gonna happen.
what boat were you on?

yoyo

Anarchist
Well done video and winner of the media award.  Congrats Trouble - video shows what TransPac is and should be for the majority of the participants - a fun adventure with friends.

Last edited by a moderator: