Transpac 2021

SUbsailor

Hawaii
Makes total sense Tom. 

I have heard that Oahu doesn't have the hard-quarantine rule for inbound, so I don't think that's an issue.  Co-worker who is working the next 2 months from a flat in Honolulu. She didn't have to quarantine.
Raz'r The state of Hawaii has a quarantine order in effect.  There are ways around it one is by getting a vegetative covid test prior to traveling to Hawaii.  I will assume your coworker followed the procedure on the safe travels Hawaii web site.  Oahu is the least restrictive you do not have to get tested after arrival if you tested negative prior to arrival.  You also do not need to be tested traveling from one of the other islands to Oahu.    

Hitchhiker

Hoopy Frood
Saquo-Pilia Hensha
Raz'r The state of Hawaii has a quarantine order in effect.  There are ways around it one is by getting a vegetative covid test prior to traveling to Hawaii.  I will assume your coworker followed the procedure on the safe travels Hawaii web site.  Oahu is the least restrictive you do not have to get tested after arrival if you tested negative prior to arrival.  You also do not need to be tested traveling from one of the other islands to Oahu.    
There are a lot of anarchists who are in a vegetative state, pretty much all the time. There should be no issue passing this test.

frozenhawaiian

Super Anarchist
Portland, Maine
How does one become crew for these races? The Latitude 38 crew party hasn't been working for me. 
sail you ass off, don't be a whiner or a prima donna. show up for practice days, show up for maintenance days, show up for yard periods. also being able to do more than just sail is huge, good sailors are a dime a dozen, I can go to any post race party and throw a potato into the crowd and I'll probably hit a good sailor.  but a person who is a good sailor and also knows how to work on electrical systems, or has some proper mechanical aptitude or who can do do laminates or can do a proper sail repair, or who can navigate and do weather routing etc. those people are harder to come by, especially when you're talking about boats that aren't hiring pros and those are the people who are much, much more likely to get a berth on a sought after race. 

oh also I hear RIO100 is back rigged and is debating doing the race. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Hitchhiker

Hoopy Frood
Saquo-Pilia Hensha
sail you ass off, don't be a whiner or a prima donna. show up for practice days, show up for maintenance days, show up for yard periods. also being able to do more than just sail is huge, good sailors are a dime a dozen, I can go to any post race party and throw a potato into the crowd and I'll probably hit a good sailor.  but a person who is a good sailor and also knows how to work on electrical systems, or has some proper mechanical aptitude or who can do do laminates or can do a proper sail repair, or who can navigate and do weather routing etc. those people are harder to come by, especially when you're talking about boats that aren't hiring pros and those are the people who are much, much more likely to get a berth on a sought after race. 

oh also I hear RIO100 is back rigged and is debating doing the race. 
Waste of a perfectly good potato.

hdra

Anarchist
Not sure if anyone mentioned this yet, and it doesn't really help out boats that sail fast, but the current practice on Oahu for private boats is that if you've been at sea for 14 days en route to Hawaii, you don't have to quarantine or test on arrival.  Not sure how this squares with the change from 14 to 10 day quarantine for air travelers, but...

terrafirma

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
Great to see this race on again even if it ends up down on numbers. Will be interesting to see if RIO100 can stay ahead of Pyewacket? 30 feet of waterline but fixed keel once would expect so but the Volvo's come into their own in certain conditions. Loki is racing under a new US owner too

frozenhawaiian

Super Anarchist
Portland, Maine
Great to see this race on again even if it ends up down on numbers. Will be interesting to see if RIO100 can stay ahead of Pyewacket? 30 feet of waterline but fixed keel once would expect so but the Volvo's come into their own in certain conditions. Loki is racing under a new US owner too
yeah it'll be interesting to see how the RIO100 does vs the VO70 pyewcket. I think a lot will come down to how much of the route each spends in planing vs. displacement conditions. but yeah, even a "non turbo'd" VO70 is damn fast and if I'm not mistaken pyewacket has has had some turbo-ing work done to her hasn't she? but even with a fixed keel RIO100 is a quick boat. shame that we'll probably never see comanche do the transpac again. 

Last edited by a moderator:

SUbsailor

Hawaii
Today is the the standard Entry fee deadline.   Do we see many boats drop off the entry list.  End of may is dead line for late entry.  

Latest posts