Tri-Radials?

Sail4beer

Usual suspect
Toms River,NJ
Rolled and left on the boom, it’s not as big as it looks. 

Maui, you could never roll yours and flaking is not nearly as bad as folding and bagging left with other sails and gear below decks.

Rudder_NZ

bstrdsonofbtl said:
I love my tri-radials. They're brand new! NPL Tour UltraX NorLam main and NPL Tour Xi Grey NorLam Xi06 genoa.

Ummm...that main cost me nearly 4k. Surely folded in my heated garage is better than flaked on the boom all winter in the PNW.

So should I leave it unfolded out of the bag, or rolled? 
I have always rolled mine and let the tension off the battens is storing for more than a week. 

Sail4beer

Usual suspect
Toms River,NJ
I would roll mine from the head(loosely rolled so the headboard doesn’t pinch or cut the sail) down the luff line and never fold it at any point to fit into some confined space. 

Monkey

Super Anarchist
I would roll mine from the head(loosely rolled so the headboard doesn’t pinch or cut the sail) down the luff line and never fold it at any point to fit into some confined space. 
That seems like a weird way to do it. Rolling from the foot leaves the headboard out of the equation. 

bridhb

Super Anarchist
Jax, FL
My dacron cross cut 155 just shipped today :).  I have tri radial black sail envy, but they have to live on the boat stuffed in a bag.

Sisu3360

Anarchist
My dacron cross cut 155 just shipped today :).  I have tri radial black sail envy, but they have to live on the boat stuffed in a bag.
I went with a crosscut dacron main so that I could flake on the boom for convenience (with luff slides), but am going with a triradial laminate genoa for racing. I think it's a decent compromise. Not worth bending on the main everytime I want to go daysailing, especially solo or shorthanded.

Sail4beer

Usual suspect
Toms River,NJ
That seems like a weird way to do it. Rolling from the foot leaves the headboard out of the equation. 
When the main comes down on a bolt rope, you are presented with the headboard. The small footprint allows you to roll from the top down along the luff and straighten the luff as you roll down to the foot on the boom. A quick unroll into the cockpit and the main e tree is ready to set.

Jethrow

Super Anarchist
The absolute worst thing I see people doing to a laminate main when rolling is folding the sail at a batten and rolling the sail down from there. It puts a hard kinking fold in the same place every time and still leaves the headboard in the area of the sail with the least layers of cloth. If you're going to roll, roll from either the foot or the head but do it without folding in half...

Last edited by a moderator:

Monkey

Super Anarchist
When the main comes down on a bolt rope, you are presented with the headboard. The small footprint allows you to roll from the top down along the luff and straighten the luff as you roll down to the foot on the boom. A quick unroll into the cockpit and the main e tree is ready to set.
I’ve always put one fold in the sail about half way down, leaving the headboard out, then roll. Best of all worlds. 

Jethrow

Super Anarchist
I’ve always put one fold in the sail about half way down, leaving the headboard out, then roll. Best of all worlds. 
Not really Monkey. As a sailmaker of 30 odd years I could always tell where people folded the sail to roll because that was where the failure was. Middle of the sail is slightly better than at a batten pocket but you still basically put a 180 degree king in the laminate and threads.

The people SELLING the sails will tell you you get a neater roll folding in half but the people FIXING the sail will tell you otherwise. ;)

Monkey

Super Anarchist
Not really Monkey. As a sailmaker of 30 odd years I could always tell where people folded the sail to roll because that was where the failure was. Middle of the sail is slightly better than at a batten pocket but you still basically put a 180 degree king in the laminate and threads.

The people SELLING the sails will tell you you get a neater roll folding in half but the people FIXING the sail will tell you otherwise. ;)
I’ll never claim it’s a perfect solution. Rolling the entire main just isn’t practical on even a mid sized boat. One fold that we varied versus bricking the thing or flaking it just seemed to work well. In the off season it was rolled around a PVC pipe with no fold. 

Whoa Nelly

Perth
What kind of racing ? At the club level with similar budgeted boats they are fine. 
Beer cans, Twilights, cruising, offshore, social regattas, local mixed div 1 fleet, everything from 41' racers down to 8m sport boats. Budgets would vary from $10k to over $100k. I'm in my 36.7

sailorman44

CT/FL
How do you flake a main if you cant fold it?
Roller furled on the boom by myself in 30 seconds.

Resized_20210715_173508.jpeg

Latest posts