'Triple Jack' rebuild...FU Irma!

BVI
Ha ha, good to see that Soma is getting rigged again. For sure the rivalry on the race course will continue some day, let's aim for the Caribbean Multihull Challenge in Feb? If not then definitely the 50th BVI Spring Regatta.

It's been really busy at work, peak season for a management company! That's par for the course, today was the first time back on the tools for 3 weeks. Poor Steve is completely immersed in my old job as Bareboat Manager at Catamaran Charters. I did that from 1994 until 2002 and do not regret a moment of it. It wore me out though, I remember getting Monday afternoons off to do my laundry! When Steve told me he had taken the job I jokingly said, 'well, see you in July then'. Weekends off are not a feature of the bareboat trade.
Still, Barry and I got a full day in today, hatches got fitted and I nailed the upper spreaders, then moved the jig to the lowers.

The epoxy filled spreader ends did release, 4 coats of PVA ensured that. Now the spreader bars and each spreader can be removed for mast storage and maintenance...let's hope we get the same result for the lowers. I preferred using PVA for this rather than release wax, you get a greater film thickness which makes release easier, once the PVA has dissolved in water. It also means parts can be painted to the thickness of the film making it all a snug fit again. I ran out of high density powder so threw in some fibers and low density, it will do the job just fine. I also PVA'ed everywhere epoxy drips could go, around the mast. High density is a bit like Scotch Bonnet Caribbean hot sauce, you need to keep it away from places where it would not be welcome.
History is a shot from late 2017 when we were still upside-down grafting the bow of the port sponson back in place. I just like this shot!

IMG_9334.jpg

IMG_0691.jpg

IMG_0692.jpg

IMG_0694.jpg

IMG_0695.jpg

IMG_0696.jpg

IMG_0697.jpg

IMG_0698.jpg

IMG_0699.jpg

CPM

Ha ha, good to see that Soma is getting rigged again. For sure the rivalry on the race course will continue some day, let's aim for the Caribbean Multihull Challenge in Feb? If not then definitely the 50th BVI Spring Regatta.

It's been really busy at work, peak season for a management company! That's par for the course, today was the first time back on the tools for 3 weeks. Poor Steve is completely immersed in my old job as Bareboat Manager at Catamaran Charters. I did that from 1994 until 2002 and do not regret a moment of it. It wore me out though, I remember getting Monday afternoons off to do my laundry! When Steve told me he had taken the job I jokingly said, 'well, see you in July then'. Weekends off are not a feature of the bareboat trade.
Still, Barry and I got a full day in today, hatches got fitted and I nailed the upper spreaders, then moved the jig to the lowers.

The epoxy filled spreader ends did release, 4 coats of PVA ensured that. Now the spreader bars and each spreader can be removed for mast storage and maintenance...let's hope we get the same result for the lowers. I preferred using PVA for this rather than release wax, you get a greater film thickness which makes release easier, once the PVA has dissolved in water. It also means parts can be painted to the thickness of the film making it all a snug fit again. I ran out of high density powder so threw in some fibers and low density, it will do the job just fine. I also PVA'ed everywhere epoxy drips could go, around the mast. High density is a bit like Scotch Bonnet Caribbean hot sauce, you need to keep it away from places where it would not be welcome.
History is a shot from late 2017 when we were still upside-down grafting the bow of the port sponson back in place. I just like this shot!

View attachment 554777

View attachment 554778

View attachment 554779

View attachment 554780

View attachment 554781

View attachment 554782

View attachment 554783

View attachment 554784

View attachment 554785
Hello RiP,just to thank you & let you know that I truly appreciate following you.Curious what the weight will be.

One thing for sure,
She will be lighter,stronger & saver then ever.
Hope to sail with/against you one of these days.
In short.: Super.
Best,Charles

BF79255A-67A7-4120-9393-76D6B7E90609.jpeg

BVI
Steady progress but my work life is still on the busy side. Hey, even Steve made an appearance on Sunday, which was not expected. 'It's not July already is it?' I quipped.
We had a good day and ticked a few boxes before heading off to Mulligan's to watch the footy and sink a few beers.

A fortnight ago Barry and I were joined by Seamus, who owns Gunboat 55 'Thirst'.
That one is painted in 'Spitfire' green which was the colour we were after! Barry finished up the 60th foot of mast scraping, the guy does not stop! Seamus deftly fitted the cockpit dome SS handles, dry fitted all the Henderson inspection hatches. and trimmed sealant off the other hatches.
I epoxied up the lower spreaders into position using the jig. It took Steve and I most of the morning to tease them off the PVA'ed alloy spreader bars. That was achieved by securing the mast to a nearby container and then using 3 ton strap ratchets to pull the spreader off. I rigged a safety line, wary of seeing a premature end to the whole project by being impaled with a 36" carbon spreader! That one released fairly easily. The other spreader did not want to let the bar go. It took my workshop engine hoist to finally do the job, that did release with a bang but no damage done.

The logos are ready to go on, but I hired an over ambitious sander to prep the hulls. He burnt through all over the place, so a next coat of Fisherman's Blue has to go on. That's a bit frustrating but no one died.

History, here's the old logos, new ones coming up very soon!

IMG_8304.jpg

4A053542-8E2E-459E-A781-7B563CDE051C.JPG

a.jpg

b.jpg

c.jpg

d.jpg

e.jpg

g.jpg

IMG_0901.jpg

IMG_0905.jpg

BVI
Crackerjack!
The logos are on and the boat looks fantastic.
Emily with her Art A level, Alexseal with their little-known colour 'Fisherman's Blue' and the TJ crew collectively came up with a killer new look. Miles, GM of Nanny Cay, like the man from 'Del Monte', says YES! I don't mind being a 'Ben Ainslie GP look-alike', to me it's a childhood memory of an Austin Cambridge toy car of mine that had a steering wheel in its roof. That allowed me to spend hours going 'broom broom' as a 5yr old. Our family cars were Peugeot 403, 404 saloons then a 404 estate. The 404's were not unlike the Austin Cambridge. The off-white wave totally sets the whole thing off, the red kicks that old blue into the 2020's! There's nothing like blowing your own trumpet eh? We wanted a 'retro' colour and I think we have nailed it. The clearcoat goes on tomorrow to finish the job.

Well, that's about it really, until next year. I'm off to the freezing UK with Rosie and Claire this Friday for my brother's wedding in Somerset on Dec 29th. Time to catch up with my Mum in deepest N.Devon too, I can't wait! There will be plenty to fix in her cottage, I'm sure.

Season's greetings to all, the final straight is coming up!

Are you Childish? ha ha!
My sketch for the SS tangs that will be bolted through the mast to accept the top of the upper and lower diamonds stays struck a chord.

are-you-childish-nob-shirt-ladies-tee.jpg

Austin Cambridge 2.jpg

IMG_0972.jpg

IMG_0999.jpg

IMG_1005.jpg

IMG_1008.jpg

IMG_1009.jpg

IMG_1016.jpg

Austin Cambridge.jpg

IMG_1074.jpg

BVI
Back to business.
There are 10 weekends until the 50th BVI Spring Regatta, we have to be launched ready for that.
Two weeks after that it is Les Voiles, at least it is not the following weekend!
It's looking like my work life can be largely cast aside for the next 3 months, that is going to be a novelty. Weekend warriors will not get her done in time; it has to be a full-on effort from now on.
England was fun, snow at first then the normal wet and windy. Christmas, a wedding and thankfully no funeral. It was the first time Rosie had seen snow and of course she was a Bridesmaid for my little brother's wedding.

So, what progress? The mast is now a fill away from being turned over and strung up for primer. The spreaders worked out really well, they are a snug fit over the roots and meet the mast perfectly. As soon as the SS tangs are ready the diamond stays can be made up in 8mm dryform SS wire. After that it is all just 2 splices away from being stepped once the painting is done. Before the mast goes up we want the deck painted, making the most of the shade before the big roof gets dismantled to make way for the mast. That will allow us to fit the tramps too, all the dyneema loops and SS rings are now in place ready for action.

Before I left for the UK the whole boat got clearcoated. I didn't think she would look too good shiny, but I was wrong. I'm not one to overly 'blow my own trumpet' but she does look stunning. Definitely 'retro' laced with the red, which really kicks the whole look off to another level. Good one!
OK, I got a 'go pro' for Christmas so this final run to the launch will be logged. I'm also going to do a weekly 'facebook' post, there's nothing like a bit of 'expectation' and a hard deadline to finish up a project.
This thread will be over in 3 months!

d3fb4704-3bbe-4392-ab98-7249694916fb.JPG

IMG_1283.jpg

IMG_1341.jpg

IMG_1433.jpg

IMG_1434.jpg

IMG_1436.jpg

IMG_1438.jpg

IMG_1444.jpg

IMG_1447.jpg

IMG_1452.jpg

BVI
9 weekends to go.
Good progress today, Barry is back on the job after spending the festive season in Ireland, what a hand he is.
Steve laminated 10oz cloth over the rudder extensions to 'skin' the modifications. I watched a 'young barnacles' U tube video on rudder design for his cat. It seems we are some way off that level of, um, refinement...but that doesn't mean what we have won't work. And we have a spare! If it is awful, we'll get a fancy shell of a high-tech rudder and will drop ours into it.
Barry busied himself on sorting hatch details, the new Henderson bulkhead inspection ports came out. We have 6 of them, 3 in each sponson in smoke black and red, they look quite snazzy.
I tapped the final few problem antal track screws and then skim filled the aft face of the mast to take care of the minor damage incurred when levering and hammering off the old glued on track sections.
With that done it was time for the boom. No way did I ever think that we would nail the modifications in one session. We lined up the old and new with goosenecks attached to make sure it was a fair comparison. George, aka 'KG' had fitted a lewmar track and car on our old boom for the clew outhaul. It did work really well for adjusting the clew of the main with full sail when loaded. But that was it. It was not useful for reefing and it was quite a chunk of equipment to have out there for a 'one trick pony'. It got the flick, sorry George. We will go with a webbing loop to attach the clew of the main to the boom, it should slide OK over the shiny new carbon boom. That meant we could keep the boom length and weight down to a minimum. The sheave box has the outhaul central and aft and the reefing sheaves forwards. It would have been nice to find a triple or fabricate one but that can come at a later date. We are showing projects 'the short stick' now, keep it simple and get it done so it can work. Marking out the template for the sheave box created another 'Nob' moment, a bit of banal hilarity breaks up the day!
Steve made a great call not liking the skimpy structure of the 'new' boom end carbon wall that basically anchors the sheave box. Out came the carbon uni and biax to add 7 layers around the inside. That sorted that!
There will be some extra help coming our way this week, stay tuned for a mid-week update.
No history but didn't the IMOCA's look great leaving Alicante? They certainly would have left us standing!
Stroll on.

IMG_1517.jpg

IMG_1518.jpg

IMG_1519.jpg

IMG_1521.jpg

IMG_1522.jpg

IMG_1523.jpg

IMG_1525.jpg

IMG_1529.jpg

IMG_1530.jpg

IMG_1532.jpg

BVI
Midweek update, there's a first.
The extra help did not pan out so well.
The flow of Irma damaged boats needing 'proper repairs' has dried up.
JoJo and his brother Daniel were briefly at a loose end being laid off.
Daniel is off to the States, JoJo has found work in Nanny Cay. I had hoped they would both kick in full time on TJ for the final run in. Hey ho, that's not on the cards now. JoJo did work on Monday, we were getting the mast sanded for primer. At the close of play he mixed up a microsphere fill for the rudders. He must have lost count because it turned out to be a special mix. That really bugs me, experienced guys do not do that, they take care. Add to that a day's worth of picking up his single use water bottles, gloves, rags, food wrappers... all just tossed on the ground when putting them in the bin would have been easier. Sod that, I don't need that kind of help. He needs to up his game, and I told him.
The cheeky tangs needed a proper backing base of high density. That went well, loads of PVA and a back fill that will be flush filled now there is a fence to guide it. The machine shop is finally making the 1/8" diamond stay tangs, hopefully we will have those early next week. The T ball receiver for the babystay that was robbed off the 'Offshore Spar' is ready to fit. I'll be adding carbon over that to beef up the mast in that spot.
Apart from that I have been down below doing some FINAL grinding before paint goes on. A nasty business that was but on the bright side it is job done.

There is a web site that tracks multihulls (and monos) that have a racing history.
Here is TJ's entry.
1674177464638.png

Unfortunately, a change of server has meant that a lot of images are temporarily astray, but that will be fixed in time. it's fascinating to see just how many old war horses there are out there!
1674177464638.png

IMG_1560.jpg

IMG_1561.jpg

IMG_1565.jpg

IMG_1566.jpg

IMG_1567.jpg

IMG_1569.jpg

IMG_1576.jpg

IMG_1577.jpg

IMG_1579.jpg

BVI
8 weekends to go.
A cracking Sunday. JoJo got a reprieve and worked his heart out all day, and no special mixes! He sanded the boom, sanded and painted the aft cabin and rolled on off white Alexseal under the aft beams. We had not sprayed there because syphon guns are not great doing overhead work.
Steve fitted the new babystay stem ball receiver. We had harvested this fitting from the broken Offshore carbon spar. It is an extended receiver with welded on captive nuts on the inside. For good measure he laminated 6 graduated layers of carbon biax to 'connect' the new high load fitting to nearby reinforced zones. I finished up the high density 'pads' that the Cheeky tangs locate on. I also finished up installing the deck level diamond stay T ball receivers. Once you have done a couple they go in quite quickly, especially into carbon. I still believe that there should be T ball receivers purpose built for thicker walled carbon masts.

The engine bay got its final coat of paint, I even drilled out the passage for the morse cables. To end the day Steve ground out a blister, nothing serious found so it just got an acetone wipe and a swipe of high-density fill!

SO, the mast and boom are ready for paint, that's me tomorrow stringing them up on boatyard stands and maybe getting the primer on.

History? That will be November 3rd 1993 (?) leaving Exmouth docks bound for the Canaries... blimey, nearly 30 years ago!

Attention.jpg

final goodbyes at Exmouth docks.jpg

IMG_1569.jpg

IMG_1593.jpg

IMG_1594.jpg

IMG_1595.jpg

IMG_1596.jpg

IMG_1599.jpg

IMG_1601.jpg

IMG_1603.jpg

Latest posts