Trump's last General

b green

good NYer read.(8-15)....bottom line= Can you imagine what a group of people who are much more capable could have done?

Mark_K

Super Anarchist
Chilling. However it seems to me they weren't so much incapable as they were unclear. Trump must have sensed that would be a bridge too far, there's a reason he's had a lifetime of successfully dodging real trouble.

My favorite quote: :"Trump was so out of his depth that he had decided to drain the pool." -Mattis

12 metre

Super Anarchist
English Bay
And here I thought this was about his other "Generals" - the ones led by Hershel Walker 40 years ago in yet another of his business failures.

Trump.jpg

b green

Why can't you be like the German generals?.....You know that they tried to kill Hitler three times? NO NO NO they were totally loyal to him.....

Steam Flyer

Sophisticated Yet Humble
Eastern NC
Why can't you be like the German generals?.....You know that they tried to kill Hitler three times? NO NO NO they were totally loyal to him.....

Does anybody else find it troubling... but not surprising... that Donald Trump admires Hitler and wants to be like him?

Mrleft8

Super Anarchist
Suwanee River
Totally logical. He really wants to be Putin, though. Putin is his ideal and has the added value of being a live walking talking male human, theoretically with a dick Trump could, or already did, suck.
I'd bet that Trump set Ivanka up to get fucked by Putin, and probably watched it while yanking his little weenie. That may actually be the "pee pee tapes" that people talk about.

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
Chilling. However it seems to me they weren't so much incapable as they were unclear. Trump must have sensed that would be a bridge too far, there's a reason he's had a lifetime of successfully dodging real trouble.

My favorite quote: :"Trump was so out of his depth that he had decided to drain the pool." -Mattis
Chilling indeed.

Late on the afternoon of Sunday, January 3rd, Trump met with Milley, Miller, and his other national-security advisers on Iran. Pompeo and Milley discussed a worrisome new report from the International Atomic Energy Agency. But, by the end, even Pompeo and O’Brien, the Iran hawks, opposed a military strike at this late hour in Trump’s Presidency. “He realized the clock ran out,” Milley told his staff. Trump, consumed with his election fight, backed off.

At the end of the meeting with his security chiefs, the President pulled Miller aside and asked him if he was ready for the upcoming January 6th protest. “It’s going to be a big deal,” Milley heard Trump tell Miller. “You’ve got enough people to make sure it’s safe for my people, right?” Miller assured him he did.
I wonder if Miller was lying or just wrong about that last part?

Mark_K

Super Anarchist
Chilling indeed.

I wonder if Miller was lying or just wrong about that last part?
Lying. Recall Milller's snaky attempt to start a war with Iran. In this case he was just telling Trump what he thought Trump wanted to hear. Trump's toadies either learn that quick or lose favor.

There is one good aspect with Trump's total obsession with himself, as opposed to the warriors who want to re-make the world in our image. It was possible to get a GW Bush seeking the fulfillment of the prophecy of Gog and Magog, a Mike Pence to go to war against "evil", both considerably more honorable men, but the only thing Trump cares about is whether at thing helps him personally and the neocons had a very difficult time making that case. The nation is tired of war at the moment. In this we were lucky.

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
Lying. Recall Milller's snaky attempt to start a war with Iran. In this case he was just telling Trump what he thought Trump wanted to hear. Trump's toadies either learn that quick or lose favor.

There is one good aspect with Trump's total obsession with himself, as opposed to the warriors who want to re-make the world in our image. It was possible to get a GW Bush seeking the fulfillment of the prophecy of Gog and Magog, a Mike Pence to go to war against "evil", both considerably more honorable men, but the only thing Trump cares about is whether at thing helps him personally and the neocons had a very difficult time making that case. The nation is tired of war at the moment. In this we were lucky.
I hope he was lying.

This was interesting, to say the least. Not sure how it fits into Trump's total obsession though.

Part of the new team’s agenda soon became clear: making sure Trump fulfilled his 2016 campaign promise to withdraw American troops from the “endless wars” overseas. Two days after Esper was fired, Patel slid a piece of paper across the desk to Milley during a meeting with him and Miller. It was an order, with Trump’s trademark signature in black Sharpie, decreeing that all four thousand five hundred remaining troops in Afghanistan be withdrawn by January 15th, and that a contingent of fewer than a thousand troops on a counterterrorism mission in Somalia be pulled out by December 31st.

Milley was stunned. “Where’d you get this?” he said.

Patel said that it had just come from the White House.

“Did you advise the President to do this?” he asked Patel, who said no.

“Did you advise the President to do this?” he asked Miller, who said no.

“Well, then, who advised the President to do it?” Milley asked. “By law, I’m the President’s adviser on military action. How does this happen without me rendering my military opinion and advice?”

With that, he announced that he was putting on his dress uniform and going to the White House, where Milley and the others ended up in the office of the national-security adviser, Robert O’Brien.

“Where did this come from?” Milley demanded, putting the withdrawal order on O’Brien’s desk.

“I don’t know. I’ve never seen that before,” O’Brien said. “It doesn’t look like a White House memo.”

Keith Kellogg, a retired general serving as Pence’s national-security adviser, asked to see the document. “This is not the President,” he said. “The format’s not right. This is not done right.”

“Keith, you’ve got to be kidding me,” Milley said. “You’re telling me that someone’s forging the President of the United States’ signature?”

The order, it turned out, was not fake. It was the work of a rogue operation inside Trump’s White House overseen by Johnny McEntee, Trump’s thirty-year-old personnel chief, and supported by the President himself. The order had been drafted by Douglas Macgregor, a retired colonel and a Trump favorite from his television appearances, working with a junior McEntee aide. The order was then brought to the President, bypassing the national-security apparatus and Trump’s own senior officials, to get him to sign it.

It's hard to see why Trump would care about troops in Afghanistan, let alone Somalia. How did they fit into his obsession?