tsunami in San Diego?

My good natured but increasingly erratic marina neighbor insists he saw an 8' tide behind the west side of Harbor Island on Friday; said the tide came up at about 10 mph (not knots) and then fell at about a foot a minute thereafter.

Anybody else see anything remotely like this? He even showed me the markings he made on a piling as the tide rose & fell, but I heard elsewhere the tsunami was a big nothing locally.

Last edited by a moderator:

xfire

Super Anarchist
There was some minor damage in our marina in San Diego Bay. A float was washed out from under a dock by current in an strong current from an unusual direction. This apparently happened during a surge during the afternoon.

DoRag

Super Anarchist
There was some minor damage in our marina in San Diego Bay. A float was washed out from under a dock by current in an strong current from an unusual direction. This apparently happened during a surge during the afternoon.
Mr. Nes Pas was SCUBA diving in the harbor looking for John Does.

KennyB

My good natured but increasingly erratic marina neighbor insists he saw an 8' tide behind the west side of Harbor Island on Friday; said the tide came up at about 10 mph (not knots) and then fell at about a foot a minute thereafter.

Anybody else see anything remotely like this? He even showed me the markings he made on a piling as the tide rose & fell, but I heard elsewhere the tsunami was a big nothing locally.
Mission Bay marinas has some surge damage as well as the bait barge movin' around about 130a Sat.
huh.gif

strong surges about, as well as video of said surge about

hard to understand what's happening with these things

I hope we never get used to them accruing regularly

Nothing is built for them and racing on a day of a Tsunami event is = "irresponsible" at best
wink.gif

look for such surges for at least a few more days (That was allot of Energy Unleashed all at once)

Okay, so as nobody seems to have any first person observations I googled it and found this from "Sign On San Diego":

The tsunami generated by an 8.9 earthquake off Japan on Friday briefly produced 1.1' waves at the Scripps Pier in La Jolla, says the Scripps Institution of Oceanography. The wave heights were recorded at 8:50 a.m. on a gauge at the end of the pier.

Earlier, scientists said the tsunami could produce waves up to 2.3' in La Jolla, 2.2' in northern Imperial Beach, and 1' at San Diego's Navy Pier, inside the bay.

There was a noticeable drop of water level, by about three feet, in the Mission Bay channel leading to the ocean, about 9:15 a.m., said Maurice Luque, spokesman for the San Diego Fire-Rescue Department.

He said the water was returning, slowly, through the channel and back to the bay and Quivera Basin, by about 9:40 a.m.

"It's subtle," Luque said. "It's not disruptive in any way. It's not a strong surge."

So I guess my neighbor really is a kook.

Larry

Super Anarchist
My impression is that the oceans of the world are sloshing around like water in a bathtub.

Lots of places around the globe have reported effects from tsunami.

It turns out that several milder tsunamis have occurred, and continue to occur, though most have been relatively harmless.

The aftershocks have often measured 5 or 6, not without some effect on the ocean.

I would not be surprised to see these occasional rogues bother us for a few weeks.

From what I've seen, the swells have damaged the harbors and boats as much as actual 'waves.'

Surging in and out doesn't help.

I just hope future severity and damage are minimal. The Japanese continue to issue tsunami warnings from time to time, when their remaining sensors detect upheaval.

We'll see some smaller waves and swells that originated in Japan but did not get reported to us, for which little or no advance warning seems possible.

We may never see another tsunami of this major scope, hopefully.

Latest posts