Two sailors and dogs rescued after 5 months

BrickTopHarry

Anarchist
Texas
Very curious to hear more details if any become available.  Presumably there was no EPIRB or sat phone.  If they relied on the engine to power their chartplotter, phones etc. and didn't have the means or ability to do celestial nav then I could see where they run out of navigation at some point and don't have a reliable fix on their position for months.

One also wonders how much sailing they did and whether anything happened there.  Did they sky or chafe the main halyard and not have the ability to get up the mast and put on a new one and then just drift the rest of the way?  Or were they sailing the whole time and drifting way off intended course, and only put down the sails for the rescue?

One wonders what their electricity triage situation was, and whether they could at least use that wind generator to juice up the phone or chartplotter and at least figure out where they were.

Shu

Super Anarchist
I'm guessing neither knew how to sail and they proceeded to Tahiti using the engine.  The news report said after losing power they thought they could "make it to land using the ship's sails", almost as if they had not thought of that before the motor died.  

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say this looks like a by-product of the participation-award culture.  "You're great; you're a winner. Nothing is impossible if you dream big, etc., etc."  Not dissimilar to the Rimas Facebook fans.

I'll give them a little benefit of the doubt for going after it despite this journey seemed to be well over their skill level.  I think most of us have gone into situations which were over our heads and came out of it better, more experienced and a whole lot more afraid once we realized first hand how quickly shit can go bad out there.  Unfortunately it's the burden of the newbie who doesn't know what exactly they're supposed to be afraid of.  'The mind can't know what the eyes don't see'.  Also, insert your favorite cliche about boats not meant to stay in harbors, etc.  Who knows, there may be a logical explanation that comes out eventually.  But no fricken EPIRB?????????

couchsurfer

Super Anarchist
NA westcoast
Only missed by 5000 miles, or so, and 120°, more or less......

Very curious to hear more details if any become available.  Presumably there was no EPIRB or sat phone.  If they relied on the engine to power their chartplotter, phones etc. and didn't have the means or ability to do celestial nav then I could see where they run out of navigation at some point and don't have a reliable fix on their position for months.

One also wonders how much sailing they did and whether anything happened there.  Did they sky or chafe the main halyard and not have the ability to get up the mast and put on a new one and then just drift the rest of the way?  Or were they sailing the whole time and drifting way off intended course, and only put down the sails for the rescue?

One wonders what their electricity triage situation was, and whether they could at least use that wind generator to juice up the phone or chartplotter and at least figure out where they were.

I have a feeling they were reading the compass backwards   :(

TQA

Super Anarchist
Caribbean
Could we say Would we say Should we say that we have found sailors less competent  than Rimas?

After all Rimas jury rigs sails 

Manages to find land.

Norse Horse

Super Anarchist
The Rock
Wow, I bet those dawgs were hungry!!

34f68e49dbf634277a0bc62fd3b77f66.jpg

~HHN92~

Super Anarchist
...''Appel said they survived thanks to water purifiers and a year's supply of dry food on board, including rice, pasta and oatmeal, according to the Navy.''

so, uhhh,  doesn't the watermaker require the engine to operate, at least to power batteries ?  

Perhaps there's a wind-powered generator. :mellow:

171025-n-ux013-119.jpg
Looks like an old Columbia/Coronado 45?

Latest posts