Two sailors and dogs rescued after 5 months

Steam Flyer

Sophisticated Yet Humble
Eastern NC
They were seriously off course from Tahiti. Fuck, Rimas gets closer than that and he can only drift downwind. I'm suspecting there's a patreon account involved.

engine probably just sucked up a bunch of crap from the fuel tank. Doesn't sound like they knew how to sail or maintain a boat. Def couldn't navigate.
Morons at sea. One of the women on the news this morning said "We believe we had less than 24 hours before the boat would sink."

I feel sorry for the dogs. Maybe a couple (or more) of the Navy sailors will be getting lucky though.

FB- Doug

Jud - s/v Sputnik

Super Anarchist
Canada
I'm pretty sure Rimas may actually be a better sailor than these two... who knew?
The story headline should definitely be changed to:

"Two drifters and a dog rescued after 5 months at sea"

Otherwise, it makes sailors look like complete idiots and the US Navy look like total studs.

Jud - s/v Sputnik

Super Anarchist
Canada
Interviewed this morning, the one woman said, "The mast was broken. It wasn't working." 

Um, okay.  

There's a whiff of fraud and fame whoring about this not-at-all-thin pair and their couple of healthy looking dogs.
Out of curiosity, do you have a link to the news segment interview with her?  I was trying to explain to someone (non-sailor) how utterly ridiculous this whole story sounds.

Out of curiosity, do you have a link to the news segment interview with her?  I was trying to explain to someone (non-sailor) how utterly ridiculous this whole story sounds.
No. It was on the Today Show. Caught 30 seconds on the way out the door to work at 7:20.  My wife was screaming at these two for being useless idiots with no business being on the water, 13 year old son asked my why they didn't just go up the mast and fix whatever was broke like we make him do.  So yes, completely ridiculous.  But it was our entertainment for the day.  Only downside is the rest of us who are competent may be subject to increased and unnecessary regulation thanks to jokers like these two and Rimas.   

rbh1515

Milwaukee
Take a look at one of the sailor's shirt:  "My shirt is brighter than your future"    WTF....should read, my shirt is bright but my brain isn't, and I don't know how to sail worth shit.

See Level

Working to overcome my inner peace
Over there
I like this quote from the Guardian

From one of their mothers,

“I had hope all along, she is very resourceful and she’s curious and as things break she tries to repair them, she doesn’t sit and wait for the repairman to get there, so I knew the same thing would be true of the boat.”

Jud - s/v Sputnik

Super Anarchist
Canada
No. It was on the Today Show. Caught 30 seconds on the way out the door to work at 7:20.  My wife was screaming at these two for being useless idiots with no business being on the water, 13 year old son asked my why they didn't just go up the mast and fix whatever was broke like we make him do.  So yes, completely ridiculous.  But it was our entertainment for the day.  Only downside is the rest of us who are competent may be subject to increased and unnecessary regulation thanks to jokers like these two and Rimas.   
In their own words, with classic sensationalized news anchor guy voice-over narration  (Today show clip):  https://www.today.com/news/two-women-their-dogs-rescued-navy-after-being-lost-sea-t118077

My favorites are, "we honestly thought we were going to die in the next 24 hours", just prior to being picked up, and the part where they said they went below ("downstairs") to lie down, telling "the boys" (their dogs) to be quiet, because sharks in the water  "could hear us".  Wow.

Last edited by a moderator:
In their own words, with classic sensationalized news anchor guy voice-over narration  (Today show clip):  https://www.today.com/news/two-women-their-dogs-rescued-navy-after-being-lost-sea-t118077

My favorites are, "we honestly thought we were going to die in the next 24 hours", just prior to being picked up, and the part where they said they went below ("downstairs") to lie down, telling "the boys" (their dogs) to be quiet, because sharks in the water  "could hear us".  Wow.
Well, that's perfectly reasonable, because a recent documentary showed how sharks can be picked up if there's a stiff breeze, blown around in the air and wreak havoc.  Then the only way to fend them off is with chainsaws, and the two stroke pre-mix for their boat's chainsaw unfortunately got contaminated with water during a bad Force 4 blow. 

Here's that documentary I mentioned explaining the avian/sharkian threat:  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2724064/

$&@

Anarchist
This should be the lead story in Failing Anarchy.

What kind of short bus miseryship is this? They had everything they needed; including brains in their heads and opposable thumbs. All they lacked was common sense and motivation.

Ant Steward found his way around the world with damp school atlas. 

It’s a wonder they remembered how to convert oxygen to carbon dioxide throughout the whole misadventure.

Zero sympathy here. Hope the Navy took them down below and passed them around for a kick in the pants...

foginmythroat

PNW
According to the bullshit story told on NBC they left Hawaii on May 3 for Tahiti 2600nm away and didn't hit the storm, break anything or lose engine until May 30. WTF! This story is complete bullshit or they are the most incompetent/reckless sailors of all time.

casc27

Super Anarchist

Thanks for the clip. What a pair of idiots. The sharks could smell them, oh no! Best part of the clip was the moron anchor stating that those two are looking forward to another adventure out at sea.

As for the mother's assertion that her daughter did not wait for the repair man, I think the daughter is one of those who increases the cost of the repair by meddling before the professional arrives. 

Was a decent looking POS boat though. Is there room for Rimas on their next adventure? Seriously, I do not think I can take having to follow two separate drift-a-thon threads.

Latest posts