Two things I miss ...

mikewof

mikewof
  1. Postal workers who used to come to the door to drop off the mail, before these neighborhood distribution boxes took over and mailboxes got disconnected from the house or the front of the house. Back then, the Postal Workers were the eyes and ears of any good neighborhood. If kids were getting abused, they would often find out, and make anonymous calls, if someone's mail was piling up, they would call for a wellness check. The Postal Workers had the pulse of the neighborhood and they made it a more connected and happier place.

2. Visible bumpers on cars. Back before they started covering bumpers with plastic, it was possible to look at almost any old car and with a basic knowledge of Department of Transportation guidelines, get a quick idea of within a few years of when the car or truck was made based on the thickness, relative height, rubber (if any), connection points and other aspects of the bumper. Now, those gorgeous functional bumpers are made of the most nondescript steel possible and hidden under a thin layer of pressure-formed plastic. I miss seeing bumpers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Windward

Super Anarchist
The hair on top of my head.  (cold and rain, not vanity)

My eyesight for reading. (glasses are irritating at best)

Last edited by a moderator:

Point Break

Super Anarchist
Long Beach, California
The hair on top of my head.  (cold and rain, not vanity)

My eyesight for reading. (glasses are irritating at best)
I hate glasses. Never wore them till about age.........40. Went from I see fine to I can’t read stuff without them almost overnight. I remember the moment precisely. At work, I get up at @ 1am for a reported house fire. It’s several station districts away so I’m going alone (engine and truck not going) and it’s long before the computer aided dispatch that brings up the address and map route in on the computer screen in the rig so everything is paper run maps of 1 square mile grids. You cannot carry the whole county that way, so for more distant calls we used Thomas Bros maps for addresses and route in. I stumble downstairs sleepy and get into my rig, pull the Thomas Bros, turn to the page and I cannot read any of it......not one word. WTF??!! How the heck am I gonna get to the call? I got no other rigs from same station to follow (which I usually do). While I’m sitting in the rig, motor running and door up squinting at the map trying to see anything the first engine goes on scene and announces nothing showing, comes back a few seconds later and says hot wall plug, he can handle, cancel everyone else. So grateful I got canceled I’m now scrounging thru the various offices and desks at 1am looking for magnifying anything. I find a old pair of cheaters someone left laying around. Try it out and I can see enough to read the map. So, it’s back to bed only to get up again around 2:30. This time I can read the map. Bought my first set of cheaters 2x next day. Over time it has gone from drugstore cheaters, to prescription readers now to distance and reading correction. Can’t see shit without them. I hate glasses.