Types of mid-sized fast racing catamans for smallish budgets

F18 Sailor

Super Anarchist
Annapolis, MD
Hard to go wrong with the Nacra for an oversized beach cat. At that price it’s tempting but there are a handful of races in the U.S it can apply for (Miami-Key Largo, maybe Lauderdal-Key West, Delta Ditch Run). Could make a R2AK winner...

This is the trimaran I was thinking of: 

Weapon at the price and maybe a bit more practical in some cases.

Billy Bob

New Zealand
I can't stand the saying oversized beach cat. Just a negative way of saying someone fucked up and made a trampoline catamaran too big. 

The NACRA 36 was way ahead of its time for a racing catamaran and still holds its own against  anything near its size carbon or not! 

According to Tom Rolland the original designer, #1  was pulled up on the beach 1 time when fist launched so that the 18 sq meter guys in LA Harbor could see what a bigger version of a small racing cat would look like. THIS IS NOT AN OFF THE BEACH CAT unless you have heaps of money, which no one did that owned this make of boat. Surfing legend and foil shaper Roy Seaman had one and began sailing it in races like the Ensenada race which raised the ire of the old school catamaran racers as being fringe, or "oversized beach cat" to bring up negative connotations so that a cat with a trampoline would not be able to race. What a load of shit ! 

This is an awesome multi and the one above is priced pretty well for some one to have a lot of fun with a lot of expensive gear. 

I bought mine for $13,000 and have put about $150,000 in materials to upgrade it over the last 20 years. Labor is my love and I haven't regretted a cent that I have spent on this boat.  It has returned smiles in spades and has given the grumpy fuckers plenty to cry about. If you want a challenge in sailing a NACRA 36 would be a good place for you and your team to expand your horizons.

I love that in the off season I can put it in my front yard and work on it to make it better for next season. With a good trailer and an inexpensive gantry I can do just about everything myself.

Rantifarian

Rantifarian
True, if you want a one design boat that matched all the Volvo criteria.  However, if you just want a fast, challenging boat that you can apply "some r&d" to, it could be  built under $100k.    I have the basics of a low cost version, which foiled under motor,  http://harryproa.com/?p=424  but I have been side tracked with other development work so have not put the rig up yet.  Happy to work on this with Dave if he wants to try new stuff. 

If you want a boat designed and built before the technology advances of the last 20 years, your idea of r&d is continually replacing expensive gear and 'class racing' is a once a year ride to Gladstone against cruising cats and a long trailer trip to the Nationals to race against a couple of other equally dated designs, then any of the boats listed would be suitable.   
Is one of these ever going to be finished and sailing? 

harryproa

Anarchist
Is one of these ever going to be finished and sailing? 
A Volvo proa?  Almost certainly not.  a) we didn't win the competition, b) there is not much market for radical race boats.

A low cost version?  Possibly.  See above for progress, but there is still a fair way to go and I have other boat stuff to test before I get back to it.  

F18 Sailor

Super Anarchist
Annapolis, MD
I can't stand the saying oversized beach cat. Just a negative way of saying someone fucked up and made a trampoline catamaran too big. 

The NACRA 36 was way ahead of its time for a racing catamaran and still holds its own against  anything near its size carbon or not! 

According to Tom Rolland the original designer, #1  was pulled up on the beach 1 time when fist launched so that the 18 sq meter guys in LA Harbor could see what a bigger version of a small racing cat would look like. THIS IS NOT AN OFF THE BEACH CAT unless you have heaps of money, which no one did that owned this make of boat. Surfing legend and foil shaper Roy Seaman had one and began sailing it in races like the Ensenada race which raised the ire of the old school catamaran racers as being fringe, or "oversized beach cat" to bring up negative connotations so that a cat with a trampoline would not be able to race. What a load of shit ! 

This is an awesome multi and the one above is priced pretty well for some one to have a lot of fun with a lot of expensive gear. 

I bought mine for $13,000 and have put about $150,000 in materials to upgrade it over the last 20 years. Labor is my love and I haven't regretted a cent that I have spent on this boat.  It has returned smiles in spades and has given the grumpy fuckers plenty to cry about. If you want a challenge in sailing a NACRA 36 would be a good place for you and your team to expand your horizons.

I love that in the off season I can put it in my front yard and work on it to make it better for next season. With a good trailer and an inexpensive gantry I can do just about everything myself.
Hey Billy,

I did not realize that phrase had such negative connotations on the West Coast or anywhere for that matter. My sincerest apologies.

These boats do look like absolute weapons and I’m sure are a real blast to sail and race. Tom Rolland designed some wonderful boats and I’m sure this is nothing less. I would love to get onboard one at some point! I was just pointing out the Grainger tri as another possibility that may or may not have more racing opportunities (not really in the U.S, but Aus rules are different).

Last edited by a moderator:

mundt

Anarchist
=
Rolland has a beautiful set of hulls in his front yard a couple miles from my house.  Every time I go by I think a good thought about it.  Thanks B. Bob for letting me sail on yours and watch he and Ed terrorize the local Orca fleet.  It really is an outstanding machine. Someone could threaten the r2ak record with one, or fail spectacularly!

ShaneBell

There is a smaller 30' great boat in Auckland called "Charelston" for sale on "trademe" . This boat always kicks ass. At $40,000 worth a look? Some videos on you tube for an idea of what it's like sailing. 

The R33 mentioned above in my opinion would be a little slower and has an interior. We raced against a few of them in California and after the start of a race we would leave them in our wake. A well built boat with a good trailer at a good price.
Hi Charleston,  is my boat, currently not being sailed, but sorta fits your requirements, awesome fun simple little boat - (am missing sailing it currently...) ,  no trailer at the moment but easily demountable and able to be trailered , full platform only weighs 550kg depending on # of sails and safety gear carried.   Easy to handle  , pull up ramps etc on its trolleys.   would imagine would thump the likes of mad max etc in aus, probably would not do well on your handicap omr system thou.  Wanted to get it across there a few years ago, but go mucked a boat by a fella who posted further up this thread (in regards to a new mast) few pics  + link to add.  Cheers Shane 

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boats-marine/yachts/multihull/auction-1873203177.htm?rsqid=14234ebd91fd47889a86de17f3390964

45509F4A-7FED-4A1E-906E-C4506CDEE9D3.jpeg

9CB5A828-19D2-4EA6-9453-FC450FA981C9.jpeg

peterbike

melbourne
I reckon Rob Denney's volvo proa is brilliant.

The guy is singlehandly moving yachting/multihulls on to the next step/level.

His proa may not be accepted now into the multihull scene,  but not so many years ago - multihullers were seen as a bunch of out there weirdos.

Look at today, people  can't sell their monoslugs fast enough !

Eventually, someone will build one & BLITZ ALL comers ; for a fraction of the price --- & then, people will sit up & pay attention.

This is my prediction.

I also reckon,  his first sales will be to one of the scandinavian countries with their large bodies of protected waters.  Those guys are very keen about going fast & they,

with the french have been at the forefront of getting multihulls sorted for the rest of us.  (with 1 or 2 exceptions,  Loch is the first to spring to mind )

I have spoken.   

Peter

mad

Super Anarchist
True, if you want a one design boat that matched all the Volvo criteria.  However, if you just want a fast, challenging boat that you can apply "some r&d" to, it could be  built under $100k.    I have the basics of a low cost version, which foiled under motor,  http://harryproa.com/?p=424  but I have been side tracked with other development work so have not put the rig up yet.  Happy to work on this with Dave if he wants to try new stuff. 

If you want a boat designed and built before the technology advances of the last 20 years, your idea of r&d is continually replacing expensive gear and 'class racing' is a once a year ride to Gladstone against cruising cats and a long trailer trip to the Nationals to race against a couple of other equally dated designs, then any of the boats listed would be suitable.   
I’d love to see how that can be built for under a $100K?!!!  Even if you had all the tooling in place  

Monkey

Super Anarchist
I reckon Rob Denney's volvo proa is brilliant.

The guy is singlehandly moving yachting/multihulls on to the next step/level.

His proa may not be accepted now into the multihull scene,  but not so many years ago - multihullers were seen as a bunch of out there weirdos.

Look at today, people  can't sell their monoslugs fast enough !

Eventually, someone will build one & BLITZ ALL comers ; for a fraction of the price --- & then, people will sit up & pay attention.

This is my prediction.

I also reckon,  his first sales will be to one of the scandinavian countries with their large bodies of protected waters.  Those guys are very keen about going fast & they,

with the french have been at the forefront of getting multihulls sorted for the rest of us.  (with 1 or 2 exceptions,  Loch is the first to spring to mind )

I have spoken.   

Peter
It’s nice that you’ve spoken, but I’m not buying it. 

harryproa

Anarchist
I’d love to see how that can be built for under a $100K?!!!  Even if you had all the tooling in place  
See post #17.  Sub $100k would look more like the boat in the video than the Volvoproa.   Straight beams, smaller, simpler, box section hulls, 100 kgs or so lighter, 2-3 crew, no passenger, rougher finish and a simpler rig.   

Raz'r and Monkey,

Closer to 2 decades now.  "Broken promises" is the price you pay when trying to develop something different on a shoestring budget.   My apologies for any disappointment this has caused you.  What do you think of the boat? 

Peter,

Thanks.  Good to see that some people are looking at the boats with an open mind.  

multihuler

Anarchist
Reno
Sorry for the post, but I need $ to launch my other boat.

$31K!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! TRAILER ADDITIONAL $3k

getPart-4.thumb.jpg.a0f3eb3d2f1e7d5382a0d6a1f4d2583a.jpg

41171195_2209344092440951_8431739766688448512_o.jpg

Billy Bob

New Zealand
I find it quite interesting that most of the multis 's mentioned here are not selling. Are the prices too high at a fraction of the build cost? Are there just not that many of us that want to sail fast? Is it a mooring issue? Is it the acceptance by the yacht clubs and the wider sailing community?  Is it harder to get and train crew for a multihull?  Do most people that sail like to hang therefore over the side and hike? Is it that getting wet is no fun? What is the awnser? Is there answer?

All the boats here are priced pretty reasonably and when it gets down to final negotiations probably very well priced.  Especially if you compare the boat speed\ fun factor to dollar. 

For me i can hardly wait to sail mine again. 

multihuler

Anarchist
Reno
I find it quite interesting that most of the multis 's mentioned here are not selling. Are the prices too high at a fraction of the build cost? Are there just not that many of us that want to sail fast? Is it a mooring issue? Is it the acceptance by the yacht clubs and the wider sailing community?  Is it harder to get and train crew for a multihull?  Do most people that sail like to hang therefore over the side and hike? Is it that getting wet is no fun? What is the awnser? Is there answer?

All the boats here are priced pretty reasonably and when it gets down to final negotiations probably very well priced.  Especially if you compare the boat speed\ fun factor to dollar. 

Billy, did your cat come from Chicago?

Reasonably priced?  She is almost free,!

Hell, my pair of high aspect rudders on the Reynolds 33 cost $5000.

she points like a hunting dog, and light on the tiller. 

boardhead

Anarchist
    It is a mystery, maybe it’s a generational thing. Apparently 2019 will see the Baby Boomers falling into second place behind the Millenials population wise in the US for the first time. Does the new generation share our hunger for all that multihull sailing offers?For sure age and diminishing numbers are thinning out the Baby Boomers crowd.

I too can’t wait to go sailing when it warms up a bit but I am gravitating towards less physically demanding sailing, which  multihulls can fulfill, but high performance, racing only, cats don’t make my short list anymore.

Raz'r

Super Anarchist
De Nile

Probably as many answers as there are sailors.

ive owned 3 trimarans, other than the weta, storage in SF Bay Area was expensive and only available at less attractive marinas. I also found that I like sailing the Cali coast and ocean, and like ultimate stability out there. It’s a personal call. 

So I ended up with an Int 14 for my giggles as it’s easy to travel with, fast, even if not as fast as say an F18, and I like the fleet.

Then I bought a 43’ old IMS design for racing/sailing with family including offshore. It’s quick enough.

maybe that’s it. In a world where speed is almost always measured as less than 20 knots, most quick keelboats are quick enough.

I’d love that R33, but don’t have the time  given the fleet.