Uglyboat Admiration Society Hang Out

bljones

Super Anarchist
CA
Welcome to the UASHO!

(correctly pronouced "You Assho' ")

One positive aspect of the Urban Blight thread is that the ugly boat admirer closet door cracked open.

I'm okay with ugly boats. It appears many of you are as well.

Now, let's get this shit straight, there is a difference between UGLYboats and FUGLY boats. Ugly boats are boats with their heart in the right place, with skippers who sail the damn things. Fugly boats are just straight up WTF were they thinking? Either the owners, builders or NAs who drew them- take your pick.

So, no fugly boats here- just your favourite uglyboats.

Phil Bolger drew a shitload of uglyboats,

204434_marthajane.jpg

but they were ugly on purpose, with a method to his madness. Besides, the man also drew the chebacco,

chebaco.jpg

... it ain't like he didn't know how to draw a pretty boat.

So, whatcha got?

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
Come on!

BJ:

Bolger never drew an ugly boat in his life.

He drew some unusual looking boats but he always had control over the shape and all of the lines.

The true, deep down, butt ugly boat is born out of ignorance for the essential aesthetic paranorms of yacht design,

I don't know what "paranorms" means but when I came to that part of the sentance it just had the right feel. I may have heard it on CNN. Feel free to substitute the high faluting word of your choice.

When I look at Bolger's unusual designs and someone says, "That's ugly" I think of the people who didn't like Beethoven's last quartets. Those listeners were just not ready, not open enough, not, with no offfense intended, educated musically enough.

It's a paranormal kind of thang.

I'm in a bad mood. But quite clean.

My wife has us both on a "cleansing diet" for the weekend. Some Dr. Oz thing she saw on TV. I'm realigning my hormones through diet.

This boils down to: If it tastes good, you can't have it.

The morning was all exotic juices and not a single Bloody Mary.

Lunch was twigs and leaves of various kinds. Thank God for olive oil.

Dinner is an amorphous cabbage soup and no ham hocks.

I have some black cherry ice cream stashed for after Jill goes to bed.

bljones

Super Anarchist
CA
Bob, one man's unusual is another man's ugly, that is why this is the uglyboat ADMIRATION society. The "true deep down butt ugly" boat is fugly- fucking ugly.

we don't do fugly here, because you are right. Beauty is skin deep, and ugly goes to the bone, but FUGLY goes right down deep into the soul.

Pertinacious Tom

Super Anarchist
Punta Gorda FL
I'm rereading Boats With An Open Mind, which is basically Bolger's book on this thread topic. I find many of the boats ugly yet appealing. So I guess I'm not quite ready. I might have to read it yet again when I'm done. Would not kill me. I fell asleep last night still laughing over his little punt that would carry a crew of adults plus a "large, frightened dog."

rlibbert

Hmm... Dangerous territory here, but as an ugly boat owner myself (Cal T/2), maybe I'm safe.

So here goes - I understand the functional appeal of center cockpit designs, but still... Tough to make them look "right".

Case in point - Morgan Out Island.

100554674.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

bljones

Super Anarchist
CA
Not one that fucks, but one that you would think about fucking- it's an eye of the beholder thing, i think.

Soñadora

Super Anarchist
I don't know, if I think of something that's 'ugly', it has to be ugly through and through. Not just in appearence but in soul. That's a tough thing to do and it needs to be done with purpose and conviction.

years ago a coworker came to the office after giving birth to show off her newborn baby. I saw her in the reception area with some of the other hens who were all smiles looking down at the kid. Naturally, I anticipated a lovely little cherub. Hopefully my quick exit did not incite any concern as once I saw the demon spawn what was, I very nearly threw up in my mouth.

He is now a college man and one of the most handsom kids you'll ever see.

So I have a tough time judging ugly, 'cept when it comes to the opposite sex. And up here in MN while there are plenty of blond-haired, blue eyed scandi-queens, the ugly stick borne of the ugly tree grows strong up on the range.

Soñadora

Super Anarchist
and the funny thing about ugly too. Expose yourself to it enough and that shit grows on you. Dock neighbor had one o' them Bayliner Bastards. He was of the man persuasion and as a result, that ugly-ass boat was the cleanest and most orderly in the harbor. Down below, I was impressed with the amount of room that thing had. When you're in it, you can't see the outside.

Disclaimer:

• Not all gay men are neat freaks, but I haven't seen many who weren't
  • There's a line, and on this side of it, we ain't gay.
  • NTTAWWT

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
BLJ:

OK, I think I get it. That old S&S ketch I believe went on to become either a Swan model, believe it or not, or maybe a Wuaquiez model. I think I know the boat you are referring to Booth, too much sheer spring, funky raised quarter deck, odd shaped tarnsom. Right? I always thought that boat odd but not bad looking., in a fugly sort of way.

Trickypig

Super Anarchist
Australia
Ok ... so here's a hard one. The scow that won the Mini Transat.

very fast reaching and running but gives a speed away upwind.

If form follows function; will we become used to this form?

images.jpeg