Uglyboat Admiration Society Hang Out

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
Boomer:

As I remember two of the Bayliner models were splashes off Rangers 23' and 26' models. The Peterson was their half ton model and it was not a bad looking boat by comparison. I went up to visit them when this was going on and they were not bashful about explaining the wisdom of their splashes.

boomer

Super Anarchist
PNW
Based on marketing no doubt....and probably pissed off Mull.

Peterson either designed or they bought the molds of a couple of his designs....wonder if they paid royalties.

Last edited by a moderator:

boomer

Super Anarchist
PNW
So maybe our director in charge of all Google things nautical, Mr. Boomer, could dig up an example of an F.S. Ford Jr. design so we can all nod knowling.

Didn't he design the Pintail?
Looks like he designed more then a few boats for MFG, who had more then a few generic boats over the years.

That Shark cat wasn't so generic though.

Strange that they were the original builder of the Corvette bodies....to bad that didn't play over into their boat designs.

http://sailboatdata....?builder_id=260

Dan33

Super Anarchist
Good work Gate. That's one of his better looking boats.
As requested....

ford_20_photo.jpg

3846447_20120208133955_1_LARGE.jpg

images-1.jpeg

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
Boomer:

I don't think Bayliner was used to paying outside designers and at the same time they were not familiar enough with sailing yacht design to do the design and tooling inhouse. I'm not certain but I think that Ranger may have been out of business when these splashes occurred. Next time you see one of those Bayliner models, squint and try to block off the top 12" or so of the freeboard. I'll bet you can find a Ranger in there.

F.S. Ford Jr. did design the PINTAIL.

Anomaly2

Anarchist
Rhode Island
This is not ugly? I actually like the design in some ways and might even own one, but damn. That's UGLY. (Bolger Fiddler II)

FiddlerII.jpg
I keep looking at that raggedy "sheer line" and thinking 'no way Phil drew it like that'... And then it hit me: For fuck's sake Tom, you've got us debating the aesthetics of a paper model cut out (presumably?) from the cartoon and taped together (the first clue was the tape on the corner of the windows....) and then plunked down in the back garden for the photo shoot.....

If we're gonna debate "ugly" lets at least use a real build. How about "Watervan"? But no sayin its "ugly" till you spent at least a night aboard. Preferably on a hot summer night (even better with some hotties) so you can test out the ventilation:

http://www.google.co...29,r:2,s:0,i:79

Lots of pics of Watervan here, at the top of the page, followed by a rather great collection of other Bolger works (full disclosure, one is a build of mine):

http://www.google.co....w=1024&bih=537

boomer

Super Anarchist
PNW
Someday somebody will put USS Enterprise shuttle logo on the sides of one...if it hasn't been done already.
startrekShuttlecraft.jpg

37704d1259177801-i-bought-motorhome-bolger-tarago-medium-.jpg

redboat

Super Anarchist
Always thought Milgram's Cascade was ugly as sin (by the way, what's so ugly about some sins?) but the damn thing did exploit rule loopholes and stir up the sailing community.

I know Flying Scots are stable practical and popular boats but you must love them to sail them.

SemiSalt

Super Anarchist
WLIS
Bill designed two models for Bayliner. Bill was friends with Oran Edson who owned Bayliner at the time and I suspect Edson threw box of money at Bill and Bill caved.
The Buccaneer 300 is written up in his first book Yacht Designs. One of them showed up here a few years ago. It has a huge volume for a 30-footer. I can't say I thought it looked good, but partly that was because it was in poor condition.

boomer

Super Anarchist
PNW
There was a very lovely, down to earth and athletic young lady in Liberty Bay Marina for a while with Buccaneer 300, moored next to us. She bought it for a live-a-board, loved that boat she did and kept her clean and spotless inside and out. She even compounded and polished the hull. Probably one of the cleanest kept boats in the marina, and at that marina you had to have a well maintained boat...no derelicts allowed. The power-boaters thought her boat was beautiful, I thought it was beautifully maintained....I'd watch the sail-boaters walk by and shake their head, if she wasn't around.

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
This is not ugly? I actually like the design in some ways and might even own one, but damn. That's UGLY. (Bolger Fiddler II)

FiddlerII.jpg
I keep looking at that raggedy "sheer line" and thinking 'no way Phil drew it like that'... And then it hit me: For fuck's sake Tom, you've got us debating the aesthetics of a paper model cut out (presumably?) from the cartoon and taped together (the first clue was the tape on the corner of the windows....) and then plunked down in the back garden for the photo shoot.....
Hah! You're right! I had not noticed, but did think it a bit off somehow. I just saw the design in 30 Odd Boats and searched for an image, found one that looked kinda like the boat in the book.

I still think that if you built the boat as drawn, you would have an ugly boat. Not one I would not own, mind you, but an ugly boat. However, I agree that this model is hardly proof and if you come this way I'll pay up on that harbor cruise. ;)

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
If we're gonna debate "ugly" lets at least use a real build. How about "Watervan"? But no sayin its "ugly" till you spent at least a night aboard. Preferably on a hot summer night (even better with some hotties) so you can test out the ventilation:

http://www.google.co...29,r:2,s:0,i:79

Lots of pics of Watervan here, at the top of the page, followed by a rather great collection of other Bolger works (full disclosure, one is a build of mine):

http://www.google.co....w=1024&bih=537
Sorry, I can't wait that long. Watervan is ugly. I want one. With air conditioning.

Which of those images is yours?

SemiSalt

Super Anarchist
WLIS
I'd watch the sail-boaters walk by and shake their head, if she wasn't around.
I thought I had taken a picture of the one here, but I can't find it. This pic is off the web.

buccaneer_305_photo.jpg

The book calls it the Buccaneer 300 and on the web it's called the 305. Same boat, I'm pretty sure.

Anomaly2

Anarchist
Rhode Island
Sorry, I can't wait that long. Watervan is ugly. I want one. With air conditioning.

Which of those images is yours?
Watervan? Really? I'd of put you down for a SuperBrick. With or without AC.

There's a pic of the Tennessee I used to own..... Pic shows it in modified form. After a while I modified it for liveaboard use by cutting the original house off and turning it into what I think looks like an English lake boat. Sort of.....

boomer

Super Anarchist
PNW
I'd watch the sail-boaters walk by and shake their head, if she wasn't around.
I thought I had taken a picture of the one here, but I can't find it. This pic is off the web.

View attachment 184954

The book calls it the Buccaneer 300 and on the web it's called the 305. Same boat, I'm pretty sure.
That's it...I knew what you meant....I was sad to see that young lady go when she finally got moorage closer to her work...one of those types that would brighten up your day with just a smile and the bounce of her step...and no, I'm not talking about tits bouncing.

Trickypig

Super Anarchist
Australia
Ok how about Trekka? If John Guzzwell hadn't sailed her around the world and given us all dreams, we would probably regard that Laurent Giles reverse shear as ugly..

Screen Shot 2012-11-18 at 12.12.55 AM.png

boomer

Super Anarchist
PNW
However, I agree that this model is hardly proof and if you come this way I'll pay up on that harbor cruise. ;)
Hey everybody, Tom's buying! Can you spell roadtrip? How many CA'ers wanna go down to Florida in, say, February?
How about Hawaii? :)

Actually you set the date and time, I'm up to flying down....

I don't drink anymore...but I don't drink any less. B)

boomer

Super Anarchist
PNW
Ok how about Trekka? If John Guzzwell hadn't sailed her around the world and given us all dreams, we would probably regard that Laurent Giles reverse shear as ugly..
To tell the truth... I always liked Trekka, not that I was a fan of reverse sheer....I thought of her as a plucky little bulldog of a boat.