Uglyboat Admiration Society Hang Out

Pertinacious Tom

Super Anarchist
Punta Gorda FL
You mean this one Tom?

35446_10200173134805117_1041934979_n.jpg

The word "iconoclast" comes to mind.

What would that rig be called?
I have a question about this rig. The mast, at least the part that doesn't move, is only about 6 feet high. The top of it (the tapered part) is actually an aluminum baseball bat. The rest of the forward sail rig rotates around the mast.

So what is that long pole to which the mainsail is attached called? Is it still part of the mast, or what?

SemiSalt

Super Anarchist
WLIS
So what is that long pole to which the mainsail is attached called? Is it still part of the mast, or what?
I think it's a yard. The closest well-known rig might be the Solent Lug, but I wouldn't be dogmatic about it.

Oh, darn, we missed the chance to put this in the sailing terms thread to see if we could stump Bob.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr. Ed

Super Anarchist
Great photo. Great wife. Great friend.

But I'd like her better if she'd let me pee over the side.
Is it true that 80% of drowned sailors are found with their gullibility to bogus statistics wide open? It's an age old way of blessing the ocean. I believe von Richstoten or whoever he was - Flyer in the Whitbreads - wouldn't have poo in his boat, so they had to dump over the back too. At least that would be democratic to the girls. Except they didn't have any girls of course.

You mean this one Tom?

35446_10200173134805117_1041934979_n.jpg

The word "iconoclast" comes to mind.

What would that rig be called?
I have a question about this rig. The mast, at least the part that doesn't move, is only about 6 feet high. The top of it (the tapered part) is actually an aluminum baseball bat. The rest of the forward sail rig rotates around the mast.

I would have called it a 'topmast'. I thought a 'yard' needs to be more or less horizontal.

The mizzen is a lateen rig with an unusual 2 (3?) legged mast, but I'm buggered if I can come up with a word to describe that sail in front. I'm not even sure which side is the luff!

Pertinacious Tom

Super Anarchist
Punta Gorda FL
I think it's a yard. The closest well-known rig might be the Solent Lug, but I wouldn't be dogmatic about it.

Oh, darn, we missed the chance to put this in the sailing terms thread to see if we could stump Bob.
I thought about putting it there, but decided terms I don't know are not really terms I don't understand. They're just ones I don't know.

I think I'll go with Kirwan's explanation that it's a topmast, even though it's the only one I've ever seen that reaches nearly to the bottom of the main mast, if that smaller thing can be called a main mast. Kirwan, I'd call the front of the sail the luff, and that's the pointy part on his headsail.

I love this rig. Completely defies explanation and forces unusual uses of common terms. :D

Pertinacious Tom

Super Anarchist
Punta Gorda FL
The mizzen is a lateen rig with an unusual 2 (3?) legged mast
I just looked closer at some of my pictures and it definitely has three legs. The forward one is offset to one side. I would say that reminds me of something Bolger might do, but I already learned that this gentleman does not appreciate all the Bolger comparisons his boats bring. ;)

blackjenner

Super Anarchist
Lots to like in this pic.

BJ, that davit setup is interesting. Any problems? It looks like a good option for my boat as well.

Is it an original Bob design feature?
These are the original factory davits and dingy. I don't know if Bob designed the davits. I don't think he designed the dingy (which is a gem by the way).

The dingy weighs 158 lbs empty. The davits handle that, plus some extra for oars, gas can, fenders and cruising trash, just fine.

We are planning on replacing the dingy with a Portland Pudgy in the next year or so. At that time, I'll have a really cute dingy for sale.

The davits will stay, not for offshore use (I doubt I'd want to get pooped with that dingy out there), but for when we are in port, or island hopping.

floating dutchman

Super Anarchist
Ra Ra Rasputin. Great story.

Off topic, I know but forgive me. I had twenty years with my first wife. Not her fault, that she was termagant and bullying. God knows she didn't choose to be like that, and it was always worse being her than being with her. Sailing, like sex, was a single handed activity for many years. Finally divorce and freedom, if the concept of freedom can incorporate being a living annuity, a sort of financial host for a separate organism. But this isn't just a bitch about that sort of thing, for unhappiness is universal, but a celebration of the second Mrs Riverpig.

Having picked each other up on Virgin flight 7 over the Atlantic, we had a wonderfully romantic if brief courtship and quickly became a permanent couple: people assumed we had been childhood sweethearts, so well do we mesh. Sailing, however, was still a single handed activity at this stage, and it was clear that we needed to buy a boat. "I can't buy a yacht, I'm in the middle of a divorce". "Well I'm not, and I can". So she bought us our first boat. Only six years ago, hard to believe. Here she is at the helm of the current one, rushing up the Needles Channel in the dusk.

View attachment 190853

I feel very sorry for those asymmetric couples. Hooray for girls who sail!
I was with my first wife from 1979 until 2009. Thirty years, two kids, and no love of sailing on her end. She indulged me from time to time but, when it came down to it, being on my San Juan scared her, especially when we were pointing. Maybe she thought the boat would fall over. Much of her life was ruled by fear. That wasn't her fault. It just what it was. Thoughts of living on a boat, much less traveling anywhere, were completely out of the question.

We parted ways in 2009 and I fell in love with Kerry. She was a princess for sure. She didn't like camping, called a walk in the woods on level dry ground "hiking", and generally liked to be pampered. She is an artist, actor, dancer, director and choreographer. Again, by her own admission, a princess (but in a good way).

And she took the leap with me. We bought Brigadoon in October of 2010, just a year and a bit into our marriage. She was excited to live aboard with me. We will escape into the world, of your plans stay true.

Here she is, driving Brigadoon around Vashon.

IMG_7108.JPG
The look on her face, when I look at this photo, that's all I see. It says to me "I have to think about what I'm doing, (the eyes) but this is kind of fun / rewarding (the smile). the boat heeling has no concern at all. rugged up and having a good time!

My wife still gets worried about the whole boat falling over thing, 1/2 the problem I admit its that I don't accept it as a real fear to have while sailing. I've got a 3300 kg boat with 1800 kg of ballast, how exactly can that fall over? "Dear, could you please stop hanging on for dear life and find something worth while to worry about."

She makes me tired watching her hang on, "go sit on the down hill side, please, your making me tired watching you".

Ahh, she loves the boat as a caravan, And I love her.

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
Donn:

I thought we put the boat "falling over" thing to rest during that race. We dd have her tipped on her ear and nobody perished. We drove the boat about as hard as you could drive it.

No, I didn't complain when I used the composting head. It was an experience. You said to pee in the bottle. I wasn't sure which bottle you meant so I used the one marked "shampoo". Was that ok?

Rasputin22

Rasputin22
Donn:

I thought we put the boat "falling over" thing to rest during that race. We dd have her tipped on her ear and nobody perished. We drove the boat about as hard as you could drive it.

No, I didn't complain when I used the composting head. It was an experience. You said to pee in the bottle. I wasn't sure which bottle you meant so I used the one marked "shampoo". Was that ok?
No Bob, You were supposed to use the bottle marked 'Sunscreen'.

Wait, that can't be right, you were in the PNW. That is a Caribbean joke.

blackjenner

Super Anarchist
Donn:

No Bob, You were supposed to use the bottle marked 'Sunscreen'.

Wait, that can't be right, you were in the PNW. That is a Caribbean joke.
You do realize you are spot on beyond imagining. It snowed last night, north of Seattle. As I came into work this morning, in downtown the "srain" was bouncing.

This is on the 22nd of March no less.

blackjenner

Super Anarchist
Donn:

Kerry does really well with Brigadoon heeling. She didn't know squat about sailing when we started this but, in that picture, she is watching the main, learning to drive by watching the sail. She's doing a great job.

During Race Your House, we did indeed put Brigadoon on her ear. We were pointing in 25kts with an occasional gust to 30. Water was coursing over the port rail while we were dancing around 7kts. It was great fun.

Kerry did great while Bob and Tricky turned Brigadoon into a raceboat. It was like taking a Clydesdale barrel racing. She did have a bit of stress when boats got close but learned that we were unlikely to bash into anyone (the reason she really doesn't want to race our house on a regular basis).

At one point though, as Kerry was sitting in the pilot house, navigating, Bob casually mentioned, "Don't tell Kerry about that boat."

"What boat?" was her response as her head swiveled around.

A 45 foot Hallberg Rassy was charging right at the pilot house from the port side. She "eeked" a little and, true to Bob's driving, passed safely about 15-20' behind us. It was great fun.

By the way, we beat that boat to the finish line.

Hey. Wait a minnit...

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
Yeah Donn but look at that sheen!

It's snowing like crazy here at the shack. My wife left to go on a ski weekend and I am home with the dogs. Ruby loves the snow and Freda hates it. I was planning on driving to the store and buying something special for my dinner. Now I'l have to dive into the freezer and pull out that steak I put in there in 2008. I'll BBQ it to a crisp, pour a can of chili over it and eat like a king.

blackjenner

Super Anarchist
Yeah Donn but look at that sheen!
Thank god I don't use shampoo!

It's snowing like crazy here at the shack. My wife left to go on a ski weekend and I am home with the dogs. Ruby loves the snow and Freda hates it. I was planning on driving to the store and buying something special for my dinner. Now I'l have to dive into the freezer and pull out that steak I put in there in 2008. I'll BBQ it to a crisp, pour a can of chili over it and eat like a king.
Sounds like an awesome dinner!

rattus32

Anarchist
Vail, CO
You do realize you are spot on beyond imagining. It snowed last night, north of Seattle. As I came into work this morning, in downtown the "srain" was bouncing.

This is on the 22nd of March no less.
'Round these parts what you called "srain", we call "graupel". Like little styrofoam pellets that bounce.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graupel - bad stuff that can lead to avalanches.

Probably way more than anyone wanted to know.

bljones

Super Anarchist
CA
graupel- that sounds like some sort of bavarian breakfast food, or maybe a westphalian noodle.

"ja, i vill haf zee jagerfritter mit und side of graupel, raus!'