Uglyboat Admiration Society Hang Out

Icedtea

Super Anarchist
Weyalan:

I couldn't afford a haul out let alone the bottom paint for a 70'er. Imagine what new jib sheets cost.

Dashew is an idiot. I have talked to him at length. He knows nothing about yacht design.. He once told me that 6 degrees of of weather helm was good.
I met him once as a 15 year old when he had Windhorse in Ireland. Let's just say for a kid who loved sailing he didn't do much to increase the love. Linda was very nice to us though.

Oxygen Mask

Super Anarchist
Oregon USA
Delightfully tacky, yet unrefined?

2013-02-07 16.24.45sm.JPG

2013-02-07 16.23.43sm.JPG

Pertinacious Tom

Super Anarchist
Punta Gorda FL
Outstanding find, Oxygen Mask. I think that mast is aroused or something. What is that?

Love how the running rigging tatters are still hanging around, like someone may actually sail it again someday.

rattus32

Anarchist
Vail, CO
Sons:

I think it has sort of late '50's early '60's kind of panache in a very tacky way. I can see a little counter below with a grey formica top. There are little red and yellow boomerangs in the formica. Remember those?
hah..yeah, I can totally picture that counter. With stainless edging and shiny mustard colored upholstery for the settee.
Ha! That's *exactly* what I saw - especially the ripply stainless edging... my grandparent's house in Florida, I think!

Sailbydate

Super Anarchist
Kohimarama
My wife remarked that it looked like they left the back off.

back%20off%202.jpg
Northwest 21. I think the hull was designed using only circle templates. They don't sail worth squat. Terrible boats. Good choice.
Ugly, but interesting. Most often, where designers get things wrong (at least in terms of aesthetics) is the cabin/coach roof. Here, it's the ONLY thing the 'designer' got right, IMO.

Mind you, having her spoon bow stuck up in the air by a couple of lardarses sitting at the blunt end, isn't helping her looks either.

Last edited by a moderator:

SemiSalt

Super Anarchist
WLIS

back%20off%202.jpg
Northwest 21. I think the hull was designed using only circle templates. They don't sail worth squat. Terrible boats. Good choice.
Ugly, but interesting. Most often, where designers get things wrong (at least in terms of aesthetics) is the cabin/coach roof. Here, it's the ONLY thing the 'designer' got right, IMO.

Mind you, having her spoon bow stuck up in the air by a couple of lardarses sitting at the blunt end, isn't helping her looks either.
Also an excellent illustration of why boats with this much freeboard should not have OBs on transom brackets.

A guy in the Chesapeake

Super Anarchist
Virginia

back%20off%202.jpg

Also an excellent illustration of why boats with this much freeboard should not have OBs on transom brackets.
Gotta think that it any kind of seas that the OB is goin' under water.

OwenMcCall

This is an ugly boat that is nevertheless a chick magnet. In fact, as the sun was setting the young captain arrived, leading a young ingenue by the hand, wine bottle and two glasses in his other hand.

Sept. 2011 202.JPG

Sept. 2011 201.JPG