Uglyboat Admiration Society Hang Out

Sailbydate

Super Anarchist
Kohimarama
How about the Halman 20...both cute and ugly.

Mostly ugly.
Hey, Gatekeeper. I think 'ugly cute' is a fair enough description. Looks a 'folksy' kind of boat in a nordic kind of way. In fact she looks a lot like the Nordic 20. A bit too much sheer spring for my liking, but maybe that's accentuated by the bull-nosed deck joint.

It looks especially odd around her stern quarters IMO. I can see her attraction though. I imagine the boat has a bit of a cult following?

Reminds me in a way of a 1957 Morris Minor (small, cute and British) which was the first car I ever owned. It was definitely a keeper, but sadly I didn't recognise that it at the time.

Think its a Typhoon with bowsprit, tacked on mizzen, cutter rig on a masthead rig for the mainmast. Booms are odd being at deck level. All the stuff a real big yawl would have....can't image it can go upwind at all with all those (small) slots...and but it looks taken care of, as if someone fantasy is well filled by this little guy....
Crash, I think you win the prize! Cape Dory Typhoon it is. Down to the tiny round port lights.

image.jpg

I totally agree Crash, and said that I don't think the boat was ugly at all. It was more here because of this specific boats special extras...

Last edited by a moderator:

SemiSalt

Super Anarchist
WLIS
Think its a Typhoon with bowsprit, tacked on mizzen, cutter rig on a masthead rig for the mainmast. Booms are odd being at deck level. All the stuff a real big yawl would have....can't image it can go upwind at all with all those (small) slots...and but it looks taken care of, as if someone fantasy is well filled by this little guy....
Crash, I think you win the prize! Cape Dory Typhoon it is. Down to the tiny round port lights.
I'm not so sure. The cockpit coaming has disappeared, and an AL toerail has come from nowhere.

It sure does look like Alberg though. He designed 6-8 boats between 17 and 25 feet mostly looking a lot alike. (The Ensign was one that looked a little different.)

Trickypig

Super Anarchist
Australia
I'm not so sure. The cockpit coaming has disappeared, and an AL toerail has come from nowhere.

It sure does look like Alberg though. He designed 6-8 boats between 17 and 25 feet mostly looking a lot alike. (The Ensign was one that looked a little different.)
I reckon it is the same boat... the wooden toerail on the second boat is higher and cuts down the cabin height in the photo. Given the rig modifications on the first boat I wouldn't be surprised if the alloy toerail and removal of coamings were other `improvements'. I hope he put some more ballast in her for that rig.

I think she is `fun'. I hope he has a mizzen staysail for her as well.. He can imagine himself as Francis Chichester.

(or... she)

Unknown.jpeg

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
Yeah, I know it's an Open 60 feature, but on that boat? I'd have to wear a hard hat.

" Anybody see the dog?"

Sailbydate

Super Anarchist
Kohimarama

I reckon it is the same boat... the wooden toerail on the second boat is higher and cuts down the cabin height in the photo. Given the rig modifications on the first boat I wouldn't be surprised if the alloy toerail and removal of coamings were other `improvements'. I hope he put some more ballast in her for that rig.

I think she is `fun'. I hope he has a mizzen staysail for her as well.. He can imagine himself as Francis Chichester.

(or... she)
Is that Gypsy Moth Tricky? Loved that boat when I was a kid.

rlibbert

Guess just what showed up at my Marina. Now we're not classy, but there have to be -some- standards... Not really even sure how it made it there, but seeing how he's bow first I'd guess it was a close thing. 12 points if you can identify this beautiful vessel.

IMAG0310 by rlibbert, on Flickr

bljones

Super Anarchist
CA
How about the Halman 20...both cute and ugly.

Mostly ugly.
Hey, Gatekeeper. I think 'ugly cute' is a fair enough description. Looks a 'folksy' kind of boat in a nordic kind of way. In fact she looks a lot like the Nordic 20. A bit too much sheer spring for my liking, but maybe that's accentuated by the bull-nosed deck joint.

The Nordica 20 and Halman 20 are DAMN hard to distinguish. Another example of the incestuous nature of ontario boatbuilding in the 70s. Everybody was building everything everywhere, designed by damn near everybody, for anybody, and the design adoption was liberal and the concept borrowing was so shameless it would have made Congress say, "uh, whoa there, this is our neighbourhood."

Then you have Carl Alberg who was the alleycat of canadian designers. He scrawled lines for damn near everybody on both sides of the border and both coasts. Damn few designers can make the same claim.

rlibbert

Bayliner bucc 27.
Correct! And I just reread my post - it sounds snooty. Sorry about that. but -Damn- that thing is ugly in person. And missing half its standing rigging. I'm surprised the mast is still up. I guess I just don't understand why somebody bought that when there's an almost mint Cherubini Hunter 27 with AC and hot water for sale for $6000 two slips down.

Trickypig

Super Anarchist
Australia

(or... she)
yes it is.. strangely, Francis Chichester wasn't complimentary of her sailing characteristics. She had some modifications in Sydney done to her keel on her stopover. She also received a new set of sheet winches in Sydney made by a relatively new company called Barlow Winches. He spoke very highly of them which helped their sales.

That's a bit of Trivial pursuit stuff......

Sailbydate

Super Anarchist
Kohimarama
Bayliner bucc 27.
Whoa guys. This boat aint so bad. I'm mean, it's not fucking horrible is it? Nice enough cabin lines. The raised deck I don't admire, but with a decent clean up and paint job, she could look respectable enough, surely. What EXACTLY don't you like about her?

Recidivist

Super Anarchist
yes it is.. strangely, Francis Chichester wasn't complimentary of her sailing characteristics. She had some modifications in Sydney done to her keel on her stopover. She also received a new set of sheet winches in Sydney made by a relatively new company called Barlow Winches. He spoke very highly of them which helped their sales.
That's a bit of Trivial pursuit stuff......
When complaining (as he regularly did) of her sailing (in particular, her steering) characteristics, Chichester invariably failed to mention his specific instructions to the designer. In particular, a full-style keel with attached rudder, beginning some 18" above the bottom of the keel, causing the rudder to be woefully inadequate to maintain a course. This was to avoid the rudder being carried away through hitting something (including your average reef).

When this design atrocity was rectified in Sydney, Chichester had not a good word to say about the shipwrights who assisted him without charge.

His departure from Australia was warmly received.

Trickypig

Super Anarchist
Australia
Bayliner bucc 27.
Whoa guys. This boat aint so bad. I'm mean, it's not fucking horrible is it? Nice enough cabin lines. The raised deck I don't admire, but with a decent clean up and paint job, she could look respectable enough, surely. What EXACTLY don't you like about her?
I suppose it's not that bad, although it is so slabbed sided it looks like she was carved from a lump of 4 by 2.

... and the droopy tiller; well it's not a good look.

Crash

Super Anarchist
SoCal
I totally agree Crash, and said that I don't think the boat was ugly at all. It was more here because of this specific boats special extras...
Sorry Red,

I wasn't trying to imply you thought the Typhoon was ugly...intent was only to comment on the attractiveness of the original with its fractional sloop rig.

Crash