Uglyboat Admiration Society Hang Out

Sailbydate

Super Anarchist
Kohimarama
Hmmm.. are standards slipping? These are abused boats, not necessarily ugly boats. Money a hose could fix this kind of ugly. Real ugly is to the bone.

I dunno, a tree growing in the cockpit plus a budding reef ecosystem on the hull isn't going to wash off easily.

So many people think a hull is a boat... it's less than half a boat! What we have here is a long-neglected somewhat-watertight box that is pointy on one end. To turn it into a boat would require adding/building-in major components that would require approximately twice as much skilled labor as building a new boat.

FB- Doug "ruthless killer of romantic dreams since 1976"
1976?

Steam Flyer

Sophisticated Yet Humble
Eastern NC
So many people think a hull is a boat... it's less than half a boat! What we have here is a long-neglected somewhat-watertight box that is pointy on one end. To turn it into a boat would require adding/building-in major components that would require approximately twice as much skilled labor as building a new boat.

FB- Doug "ruthless killer of romantic dreams since 1976"

1976?

One has to start sooner or later

I picked sooner

Actually the sad thing is, to me 1976 doesn't seem all that long ago.

FB- Doug

bljones

Super Anarchist
CA
I prefer a decade of memorable decadence.

Every 10 years.

Last edited by a moderator:

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
for some reason, it reminds me of this:

Monogram%207503%20Flap%20Jack.JPG
Inspired, no doubt by the XF-85 Goblin, which actually flew.

McDonnell-XF-85-Goblin-Parasite-Jet-Fighter-Title.jpg
Man, those early "Jet Age" test pilots had cojones the size of beach balls.

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
I've been walking pass this little guy for a about a month and have felt a tinge of guilt every time I thought of submitting it to this thread. The thing is, I don't find this boat ugly, just maybe a little absurd. This tiny little boat is more tricked out than many 40' boats I've seen. Double headsails, (roller furling of course), full keel, bowsprit, wind generator, and finally a mizzen mast! I do admire this boat and its owner, who clearly loves it, but WOW! Does anyone know what it is? I've tried the Googles with no luck.
That reminds of of all those kids spending huge amounts of money "improving" cheap econoboxes instead of spending the money on a better car. That attitude is always with us - I can remember when I was a kid, lots of people had "hot rods" where the wheels were worth more than the car.

That little Cape Dory? is much the same mindset.

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
When I met Bill Garden and he had just built OCEANUS he drove the cheapest two door sedan, pale green Ford that money could buy. At that time it may have been the cheapest car you could buy in the US, early imports aside.

As a kid I remember thinking,"What an awful car. What an awsome boat."

kimbottles

Super Anarchist
PNW
When I met Bill Garden and he had just built OCEANUS he drove the cheapest two door sedan, pale green Ford that money could buy. At that time it may have been the cheapest car you could buy in the US, early imports aside.

As a kid I remember thinking,"What an awful car. What an awsome boat."
Your boat is WAY more important than your car!

floating dutchman

Super Anarchist
All of a sudden, I fell good that the family car is 97 (family) Camry.

About two years ago we decided to "up grade", then we figured that all a newer car was going to do for us was be shinier, so I spent a Saturday cleaning and polishing the car, upgrade done!

Then it broke down, First was C.V. gone, well bugger.

Then the battery failed, I mean, why can't the battery last the life of the car? Oh yer, It's over 15 years old, might have something to do with it.

Then it needed new plug leads.

Well they say things come in threes, Car's good for another few years yet I say!

Last edited by a moderator:

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
That hull actually looks kinda sweet, right up until you get to the bow.

The pilot house roof and windows look plain but good.

That cabin, though... Drunken exaggerations should be tossed out in the morning, not built.

blackjenner

Super Anarchist

That cabin, though... Drunken exaggerations should be tossed out in the morning, not built.
I think where it falls down for me is that it looks like it was made of three different boats.

The problem is, it probably has reasonable dimensions as viewed from inside with a 'powerboat perspective'.

Standing headroom under the pilot house roof

Good visibility from the driving position - you know, a wheel with dashboard at the front of the pilot house, with a nice tall pedestal chair.

Standing headroom below in the saloon, with nice big 'windows'

As the 'mast on a motorboat' genre goes, .... we've seen worse.

Oxygen Mask

Super Anarchist
Oregon USA
because those Buccs rarely sell for more than $1500

Bayliner bucc 27.
Correct! And I just reread my post - it sounds snooty. Sorry about that. but -Damn- that thing is ugly in person. And missing half its standing rigging. I'm surprised the mast is still up. I guess I just don't understand why somebody bought that when there's an almost mint Cherubini Hunter 27 with AC and hot water for sale for $6000 two slips down.

Latest posts